New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.16_B for WD TV Live Plus (8/2/11)

Thanks Tony, it seems to work. But still in its present form it is a defect and needs to be fixed.

I am trying to update to firmware  1.06.16 (8/2/2011) and I have been stuck at the upgrade screen with 0% progress. The screen gives no option to abort so after about 20 mins I just pulled the plug. I restarted with the firmware files on a different USB drive, but I have the same issue. What now almighty WD geeks?

I took the advice of another user on an older thread ( http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware/Firmware-Upgrade-Hangs-at-0/td-p/63))  who found that if he plugged in two seperate USB devices at the same time, with the same firmware files at the root, then the upgrade worked. Ditto for me. It worked and everything seems to be functioning fine now. 

Manually loaded easy and fast.  However, could not play mkv files prior and still can not.  All other formats seem ok.

klowe007 wrote:

Manually loaded easy and fast.  However, could not play mkv files prior and still can not.  All other formats seem ok.

Please start a new thread about this, and please post the full TEXT output of MEDIAINFO for such a file in that thread.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net

klowe007 wrote:

If you cannot play mkv files; previously or post the update, you definitely have a different problem as mkvs are all I play on my live +.  Since you play other formats, the method you’re making your mkvs might be flawed.  I use MakeMKV and DVDFab.

petyanca wrote:

When playing Netflix stream, after it finishes the unit hangs with a black screen and has to have its power cord unplugged to recover. I HATE it.

I have the same “apparent” issue on my LG TV.

The Unit isn’t hanging though, it’s just not giving video.

All I have to do is toggle the inputs on my TV (which forces an HDMI reset) and it the NetFlix screen pops up.

I have the same problem with my DLP set and its really annoying since its takes a while for video  to handshake correctly. Have to toggle inputs to get it to show the Netflix menu. This only happens on Netflix. Would be nice if they can look into this issue as it was not present in the previous firmware.

After installing latest firmware for WD TV LIve Plus, when streming with Hulu+ the streaming video will randomwly freeze, I’ve tried lower the video quality but continue to experience random image freezes. I initially though it was buffering due to low bandwidth, but after some testing, speedtest.net and also streming Hulu+ on my DVD player (Samsung BDC 5500) which all work fine (rated speed 30Mb+), I think it may be due to the firmware.

Thanks

Hi,

I updated my WD TV Live Plus to the firmware version 1.06.16_B and MyBook Essential to the latest firmware which is 3 point something and it still doesn’t recognize it. After I updated the firnware on MyBook I used the WD Quick formatter.exe and then copied some files again to test it, but it still doesn’t work when I connect it to the WD TV. In my computer it works fine(VAIO) but no luck with WD TV.

I also updated the SES driver, don’t know if that has anything to do with it.

thanks for any help!

hey, I had the same issue, I changed the sound output from digital output to stereo and now all my mkv files work

I forgot to say that MyBook is a 3TB

Once again:

I would strongly recommend NOT to update to 1.06 firmware if you use a USB-HDD connected to the WDTV Live.

New firmware introduces file system errors 100%.

1 Like

I agree,

Use this web page to rollback to any of the available firmware versions. http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live… I use the 1.05.04 version. works best for me. Others may work better for you.

With all the negative posts about this firmware, thought I would throw in my experience.

I waited for weeks before updating, because of all the negative experiences with it reported here. I finally decided to upgrade, because I knew I could roll it back if it didn’t work, and I was having some minor issues with the firmware I had 1.05…

Been using it for  a week now, and all is good. It is keeping my settings (something 1.05 wouldn’t do), Netflix works well, and my external HD is working well.

My setup is rather simple: Ethernet cord for internet coming from router, 500 gig Seagate drive, this is being used with a Panasonic plasma HDTV, HDMI cord for video and sound to TV. If I want better sound I can turn on the stereo.

I this firmware still needs to fix the next buttons on the remotes, when yo hit next (next chapter) it takes you back to the beginning of the movie and restarts it. The last  chapter button does the same thing.

Still having troubles occasionally on startup of a movie losing the audio, but found if I go to options/audio and change to another sound track it will then work

Also when reading Blu-ray files the firmware still cannot read some movies because they are not one single large file of 25Gig or so. Tangled is one for example.

Apart from the bugs listed above…

I would dearly like to see the Subtitle selection bug fixed.  Right now, pressing Option then select Subtitle, the display of subtitle language is either missing or far off to the side.  For those of us with less hearing than we like, we have to guess what subtitle we are choosing.

Get the subtitle selection working please.  I am stuck with 1.04.43 since I don’t hear well enough and subtitle is a necessity. 

Rick

ISO files won’t play with this firmware. And my 16GB USB flashdrive won’t be read by windows after plugging it in to my WDTV Live Plus. I had to reformat the flashdrive. What’s the best firmware to go back to that plays MKV and ISO files? Thanks.

During the year I have had my Plus unit, I have installed every current firmware – except for this one!  And, I suppose things will stay that way for me, seeing that bad reports keep coming in.

To answer your question, the best PLUS firmware to use is the one that preceded this current one, (and the one I remain with) and that is Version 1.05.04_B.  Everything I use on the unit works fine, including playing MKV and ISO files.

I must say that it has been over three months since this newest version was released, and negative reports continue to come in – enough so, that I ask OUT LOUD to anyone from WD reading this:  What the heck is the real story of this version: is it really bad, or is it all attributable to “user error”?  Why not even one comment yet from a WD person in this thread is uncalled for at this point.

WD:  How about posting another new (and fixed) version, ASAP?

I’m beginning to think we’re the guinea pigs, when they finally get a great working unit they’ll repackage it and charge us 2x to 3x to buy the newer, better greatest yet one.

How much does it take to reprogram so the next button goes to the next chapter instead of starting over.

Actually, when I hit the “Next” button while playing a DVD ISO file, it goes to the next chapter, but when I hit Next while playing a blu-ray MKV file it starts over.  I think this is a function of the type of file, not the firmware.  But, then again, I am using the firmware that works well (the previous version) not this one.  So who knows, I could have the problem you describe if I was using this firmware version!