New Release - Firmware Version 1.06.15_V for the WD TV Live (8/9/11)

anyone tell me if they sorted that pesky background picture out that looks like a 16 colors effort

on composite. yet wierdest thing is it smooths out when it starts playing a movie in that preview window

Autoframerate gone!

Very bad indeed - one of the best features broken. WD should use a checklist for the most crucial functions before getting final with a new firmware. What are you guys doing betas for anyway?

Nontheless, thanks for the update!

XviD in MKV on some files is broken now.  Same thing happened on the Live Plus Model.

http://bit.ly/ocTbcd

Auto framerate is not working after upgrade… Very annoying on a 200Hz True Motion LCD as the picture flickers every 1 sec or so… Manual settings does however seem to work, and the movies are smooth in manual if you know the correct setting.

But many of the old problems has been fixed… Thanks for that…

Please fix the auto framerate ASAP, as this feature is one of the core functions (it was made to show movies)…

**bleep**!!! Many of my .mkv files are now not supported format (played well before the update)??? Thats can’t be serious an update with final status.

Please fix that!

hey robrt77,  i called wd support about the frozen upgrade, they were no

real help although they said they would rma it if i couldn’t get it working

even though it is a month out of warranty.

anyway,  i tried so many things i got this black screen telling me in every

language to attach a usb drive with firmware to recover my wd live.

what i did was:    downloaded firmware 1.06.15_v again and tossed the first

copy i downloaded.    put the 3 files on my usb harddrive.   did a 10 second reset

with the recessed button on the side.  plugged my drive in before it rebooted

and it worked!!!.   i’m up and running again.

good luck.

Just FYI:   If you held the reset button for 10 second, you changed the video mode… :slight_smile:

USB hard drive (WD 250gb My passport) not accesible after update.

tryied to factory reset, delete wd_blah blah folder, but still no luck

Only network share and media server options are shown.

Thanks, Got it working!  After three reboots, and trying a few resets, it finally loaded the new firmware!!!  Not sure why it wouldn’t do it the first few times.  So far the new firmware seems to work fine.  The new feature where you can select your receiver’s compatibility is great.  I used to have to manually switch to stereo when the audio was AAC.  Now the WDTV box does that for me…

Hopefully this problem with the firmware upgrade isn’t a new issue.  Turning your unit into a brick would be a fairly large software bug!!!

Well we have just upgraded to this firmware and now cant access either of our usb drives.  the drives spin up, but dont appear in the menu. thanks wd, thanks for that.

any ideas anyone?

Edit,

I take it all back, just took a little longer than normal. all good now.

A user who simply plays mkv files with AAC and a few iso files.   just to let WD know that the update worked fine, though I can’ really tell what the update does.

He does not recognize my drive 2 tb, back to version 1.04.31_V

Upgrading from 1.04.22, didn’t work the first three times, tried two different USB drives in both HFS and FAT32 format.

After several hard reboots (unpluggin the power cord) got the black screen asking for a USB drive the recover the WDTV.

Finally got it working with the FAT32 drive and its up and running now.

New firmware doesn’t work with TVersity Media Player (on both of my WD TV Live units).  Also, network connectivity was very limited with my WUSB600N USB Adapter after I upgraded.  I therefore downgraded back to 1.05.04 and everything is working fine again.  So the new firmware is definitely buggy.  I would love to see a fix for Lion users, since Samba was dropped.

Thanks

After updating firmware AVI playback via SMB shares is broken. It’s not a network speed problem since the mac mini and the WDTV Live are connected via ethernet to the same router and 720p MKVs transfer perfect without problems.

Tried several xvid/divx AVI files and:

xvid AVI via SMB share: no audio, playback at 1 fps (yes, one) fast forward and 10min skip works, subtitles come up ok.

xvid AVI via USB disk: works perfect

xvid AVI via media server (yazsoft playback) works perfect but no srt subtitle support

The same AVI (xvid/mp3) file converted to MKV with MKVTools works perfect via SMB, USB and media server.

Some 1080p MKVs (pixart shorts around 500Mb) that used to work fine under 1.04.22 via SMB now freezes every 20-30 seconds.

Rolled back to 1.04.22, all AVIs and 1080p MKVs play fine again but the downgrade took several atemps to work, same as the previous upgrade to 1.06.15.

all seems ok here thanks… so far soooo good :slight_smile: *touches wood*

Just installed the new firmware and :

-      My Book Live HDD is not recognized ( reboot several times, unplugged cables, reset to factory defaults … no 

chance, simply doesn’t work )

-      Asus USB-N13 Wi-Fi dongle is not recognized ( no flashing light , no wireless network option )

Rolled back to 1.05.04_V  after following this tutorial and now everything is back to normal.

I’m just wondering how’s possible that after a firmware upgrade a WD product can’t work whit other WD product !?!  And how’s possible to release a buggy firmware when same problems occurred weeks before with WD Live Plus ? I just can’t get it …

Still no support for WNDA3100 netgear Adaptor. One game option has been included in the main menu.

I would personally like to see the following in the next firmware upgrade:

• Android app support, even if you open up telnet for the current apps available to use.
  • Picasa integration.
  • Auto shutdown after a select period of time.

You’ve done a great job to continue to support your product, but a couple of more items would make this product perfect for me.

This firmware seems to be working excellently, loving the new audio settings for video.

Happy customer.

For the moment this release seems to be stable and works ok with following combinations:

WDTV HD Live   /  Samsung AV-Receiver HW-C500  /  Sony TV KDL-40EX500  /  D-Link DIR-655/DE  /  2 x MyBook Essential 2TB

WDTV HD Live   /  ONKYO AV-Receiver TX-SR607  /  Sony TV KDL-32EX500  /  D-Link DIR-655/DE  /  2 x WD Elements 1.5 TB

Network-connection only  via LAN-cable (no wireless)

Tried to play several PAL-vids with success (Audio auto / Video 1080p, 60hz, 8bit):

m2ts (1080i/p, AC3 2.0 and AC3 5.1)

ts  (1080i/p, AC3 2.0 and AC3 5.1 )

avi  (1080i/p, AC3 2.0 and AC3 5.1 )

mpeg/mpg/MKV

All played successfully from local USB1&2, from MyBookLive (twonky&public) and from  MyBook World II  (twonky&public)

FastForward 2/4/8 seems ok. 

10 minutes forward via skip seems ok. 

All  movies start a little bit faster – but synchnonizing sound needs some seconds… nice trick, but ok for me :wink:

Options menu seems to be ok  now.

mp3 192 kB/s playing  fine.

TuneIn no changes – seems to work.

Most iportant test for me will follow tonight:

Will the WDTV remember the video settings?

Not resetting to composite or 720p?

Hope so… :wink: 

If it works, I’ll say “good work!”

Untill  then I say “not bad so far…”

:smiley: