New Release - Firmware Version 1.04.22_V for WD TV Live (3/8/11)

Regarding 96khz downsampling to 48khz.

I have had this reply from WD

"Thank you for contacting Western Digital Customer Service and Support.
After having your case being reviewed by our seniors.
Please be informed that, the issue you are experiencing is not a hardware restriction, just a firmware bug.
Our firmware development department is currently working on new firmware releases and hopefully this will be covered on one of the new firmware updates.
But unfortunately, we are unable to confirm nor guarantee when or if it will be fixed, as we do not have this information available.
If you have any further questions, please reply to this email and we will be happy to assist you further. "

So keep your fingers crossed

“But unfortunately, we are unable to confirm nor guarantee when or if it will be fixed”

Ok that is ridiculous. In other words WD say we know there is a problem with our product, it could be fixed but we don’t know if we gonna do that? This sounds to me as ‘we actually do not really care if our customers are not satisfied’.

1 Like

sounds like standard corporate CYA legalese to me. When car commercials on television include text that says “do not attempt; professional driver on a closed course” when all those cars are doing is driving along sedately, you really have to take boilerplate sorts of replies with a handful of salt.

style34 wrote:

“But unfortunately, we are unable to confirm nor guarantee when or if it will be fixed”

Ok that is ridiculous. In other words WD say we know there is a problem with our product, it could be fixed but we don’t know if we gonna do that? This sounds to me as ‘we actually do not really care if our customers are not satisfied’.

This is the standard reply from WD. It never gives out timelines.

1 Like

Yeah, ok i agree with you guys but it would be better if the standard answer is something like We’ll do our best to improve our product. And we don’t even talk about improving of something here but about a  BUG with the product.

Anyway I mean WD and everyone other manufacturer should care about customer’s satisfaction. 

1 Like

style34 wrote:

Yeah, ok i agree with you guys but it would be better if the standard answer is something like We’ll do our best to improve our product. And we don’t even talk about improving of something here but about a  BUG with the product.

Anyway I mean WD and everyone other manufacturer should care about customer’s satisfaction. 

You would think so but it appears that their corporate policy is in conflict with customer satisfaction.

1 Like

Hi there. Since i updated my device to 1.04.22 the network shares from my windows 7 ultimate laptop (via ethernet cable) have disappeared. the box simply does not recognize the laptop anymore (at network shares section but displays it at the mediaserver section. that is pretty annoying and never happened to me anytime before - any workaround until this gets fixed? i already rebooted box and laptop. win xp prof and dm800HD network shares get recognized normaly :frowning:

style34 wrote:

Please read my post here for what I believe is the actual explanation for WD’s inability to provide Canadian Netflix access at this time along with why they can’t even confirm IF they will ever do so:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/Netflix-Canada/m-p/153938#M10117

Has the Vorbis audio at mkv been fixed? Are the screeches gone?

Also having a few problems with this new release. WD TV Live (UK based)

As in the graphic earlier that said PREV / NEXT skips chapters… this doesn’t work for either mkv’s (with chapters that are accessible in the chapters menu) OR VIDEO_TS vob rips. In a vob rip it just seems to restart the movie.

Another bug with regards to the chapters menu, when on say chapter 18, I do not need to be shown from chapter 1 and have to move all the way up to get to chapter 20 again, it should know i’m on chapter 18 already (wouldn’t be needed if functionality actually matched that advertised).

A chapter number in the info bar would be appreciated.

Chapters menu not available for VIDEO_TS folders :confused:

The Auto framerate is flawed and DOES change the resolution.

UK with tv capable of 60/50/24Hz, info button shows res/framerate.

Set as specified in release notes.

Supports Auto-framerate (Audio Video settings/video output/HDMI/auto/auto/Match video framerate)

*Above does not allow you to set a resolution!

Tested with the below sequence:

Power on, Menu = 1280x720/60Hz

Play blue ray mkv rip = 1920x1080/24Hz

Stop playback, Menu = 1280x720/60Hz

Playback PAL dvd rip, select VIDEO_TS folder, press play = 1280x720/60Hz (Wrong!) (Need to hit play here to allow it to playback as a dvd rather than seperate vobs.)

Enter VIDEO_TS folder, press play on vob1 = 1280x720/50Hz (correct rate)

Also on this and previous firmware, if selecting a 24p mkv to watch via component on projector which will accept 50/60 Hz only, then juddering is more obvious than expected… meaning you NEED a display that would accept 24p.

Subtitles no longer working for MKV files. Work fine in other clients and in previous firmware. This is for both HDD access and via dlna server (TVersity and Serviio tested)

Now just gotta figure out how to downgrade to previous version, if someone has a link that would be great.

Edit: Note, also get ‘unsupported mode’ sometimes come up when the WD TV Live is deciding which res/rate is needed.

wxchaser wrote:

Also having a few problems with this new release. WD TV Live (UK based)

As in the graphic earlier that said PREV / NEXT skips chapters… this doesn’t work for either mkv’s (with chapters that are accessible in the chapters menu) OR VIDEO_TS vob rips. In a vob rip it just seems to restart the movie.

Another bug with regards to the chapters menu, when on say chapter 18, I do not need to be shown from chapter 1 and have to move all the way up to get to chapter 20 again, it should know i’m on chapter 18 already (wouldn’t be needed if functionality actually matched that advertised).

A chapter number in the info bar would be appreciated.

Chapters menu not available for VIDEO_TS folders :confused:

The Auto framerate is flawed and DOES change the resolution.

UK with tv capable of 60/50/24Hz, info button shows res/framerate.

Set as specified in release notes.

Supports Auto-framerate (Audio Video settings/video output/HDMI/auto/auto/Match video framerate)

*Above does not allow you to set a resolution!

Tested with the below sequence:

Power on, Menu = 1280x720/60Hz

Play blue ray mkv rip = 1920x1080/24Hz

Playback PAL dvd rip, select VIDEO_TS folder, press play = 1280x720/60Hz (Wrong!) (Need to hit play here to allow it to playback as a dvd rather than seperate vobs.)

Enter VIDEO_TS folder, press play on vob1 = 1280x720/50Hz (correct rate)

Also on this and previous firmware, if selecting a 24p mkv to watch via component on projector which will accept 50/60 Hz only, then juddering is more obvious than expected… meaning you NEED a display that would accept 24p.

Subtitles no longer working for MKV files. Work fine in other clients and in previous firmware. This is for both HDD access and via dlna server (TVersity and Serviio tested)

Now just gotta figure out how to downgrade to previous version, if someone has a link that would be great.

Edit: Note, also get ‘unsupported mode’ sometimes come up when the WD TV Live is deciding which res/rate is needed.

With VIDEO_TS files you need to enter the folder and press play / enter to get menu’s and to also change to the correct frame rate. If you press play on the VIDEO_TS you do not get DVD menu’s or the frame rate change.

see here for full details:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Can-not-use-DVD-menu/m-p/27579/highlight/true#M8242

As you say it is known that prev / next do not skip chapters in mkv files and you must go to the options.

The auto framerate is just that and not a resolution changer. The auto HDMI should set the best resolution but unfortunately does not always do that and like you, mine will only be set at 720p/60Hz.

The rollback firmware and full instructions can be found here:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

When volume control software?

next firmware? :wink:

I’m not sure if someone has already mentioned this, and it’s quite difficult to search, but since the update I’ve noticed that in my list of movies in Network Shares, the folders that are in alphabetical order after anything that starts with “The” doesn’t show up. This also applies to actual files, although some of the ones that do start with “The” are missing as well. It looks like if I rename the folders to beginingg with something before “The” alphabetically, then they show up fine. So for example, everything until The Karate Kid shows up, but Yogi Bear doesn’t, etc…

May have already been discussed, Blu-Ray iso’s audio is delayed on playback, then the video freezes until the audio catches up. This is for both directly connected drives or network shares.

I always had problems with going into the folder and hitting play… always seemed to have that gap if i recall, which was fixed by doing it at the folder above. Either way, PREV / NEXT doesn’t work. 

I still think that it can be classed as an auto res changer as it outputs resolutions dependent on the file, rather than what you say in the menu (which would be fixed res).

Thanks richUK for the download site, I’ve bookmarked that and will be downgrading back to full functionality very soon.

BTW, does anybody actually use the Apps? I would rather these be removed/downloadable plugins, and the time developing these put on to squashing the bugs. 

wxchaser wrote:

I always had problems with going into the folder and hitting play… always seemed to have that gap if i recall, which was fixed by doing it at the folder above. Either way, PREV / NEXT doesn’t work. 

I still think that it can be classed as an auto res changer as it outputs resolutions dependent on the file, rather than what you say in the menu (which would be fixed res).

Thanks richUK for the download site, I’ve bookmarked that and will be downgrading back to full functionality very soon.

BTW, does anybody actually use the Apps? I would rather these be removed/downloadable plugins, and the time developing these put on to squashing the bugs. 

The only files which will change the resolution are those with 24fps and thats because on your TV you only get that framerate with 1080.

If you go into the the VIDEO_TS folder and play from there then the unit should be in DVD menu mode and the prev / next buttons will become chapters movement buttons. You must have the complete DVD ripped into this folder for DVD mode.

Have they fixed the low audio level when playing ISO files with 5.1 audio in stereo?

It looks like I have the issue narrowed down a bit more. It looks like any folder within my Videos share will only show 127 (or sometimes 128) movies or folders. Is this a limit of the WD TV, or the shared folder on the PC, or is it an actual size limit that I’ve hit rather than a number (like 100GB or something). Anyone aware of any such limits?

i don’t believe it’s a wd tv limit. it shows 400+ files in my folder.

Had a very strange occurance last night.  I plugged in 2 1TB WD portable drives into the WDTV, one on each port, then used the remote to power up.  When I tried to access videos via the Videos/Folder menu, I got a message requesting I enter the password for one of the drives.  I have never passworded any of my drives.  I declined, and that drive was no longer available.

I unplugged the USB cable for that drive and re-inserted it.  It came on-line normally and I was able to access the videos with no further issues.

(oops… nevermind… this should have been posted into the WDTV Live PLUS firmware update…)