New Metadata Editor

At one point I wrote a meta data editor/retrieval for Windows Media Center so I decided to make it work with the WD TV Live Hub player which I just got this past weekend.

Note that it doesn’t do batch updates at this point, it’s one movie at a time. You can edit everything manually including cover art or you can use IMDB and Amazon lookup. IMDB is a bit slower but gives more information usually. Amazon is faster.  The .xml and .jpg files are generated in the same folder as the video file.

I have not tested it extensively but I’ve started using it on my own collection running on a Windows Home Server. It is especially useful for foreign movies and other hard to find movies.

I have uploaded it to  http://taranu.net/download/WDTVMetaDataEditor.zip

When it starts you need to go to Settings and add the folders to scan (C:\Videos for example). The hit ‘Refresh List’

This is really the same as the original DVD Library Manager, it just generates different xml files. There may still be some bugs as I did a quick port so please let me know if you find any problems.

The original DVD Library Manager discussion is at the Green Button forums (a Windows Media Center site)

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/t/48266.aspx?PageIndex=1

1 Like

Took a few moments to twig you have 1 to many Ts in http :slight_smile:

Will give it a try, sounds good.

Thanks

The program saves the XML files with an uppercase XML extension. Apparently, the WD doesn’t like that, and it wasn’t associating them with the movies until I changed the extension to a lowercase .xml.

Edit: same thing for the cover art files, capital JPG doesn’t seem to play nice.

That’s an eccentricity of Linux networking…

If the device asks does “thisfile.XML” exist?    depending on the SERVER, it will say “YES,” REGARDLESS of CASE.

However, if the device asks “Give me a list of files.”

if the filename is thisfile.XML and the device expects lowercase, that file will be ignored…

Weird, I know…

I’ve updated the app to use lowercase .xml and .jpg.

thank you very much nice tool used this tool to get all of my 2000 movies metadata !:smiley:

Updated the app to get quicker to the metadata.

• IMDB and Amazon buttons on the main screen now 

• can select more than 1 movie and the IMDB/Amazon dialog will show in sequence for each of the selected movies

• by default the Title is not selected on the IMDB/Amazon screens (so you don’t have to rename multi-part file movies)

thx for the app…could you quickly explain how to use, what is saved where with what extension and how WD Live Hub sees/uses the info/files ?

For example, I used to have a large HTPC with all my  DVD (VOB/Video_TS) folders for my movies.  I got tired up updating software so sold off the HTPC and just kept my movie collection on disks.  Now, I’ve been looking at NMP and have ordered the WD Hub.  I plan to take all my movie disks and re-coding them using HandBrake to single H.264 {movie name}.MKV file on my Windows XP Pro SP3 PC.  I will have these in a directory called “movies”, with subdirectories for each movie name containing the MKV file.  Can your software use the .MKV to search for the metadata ?  I’m guessing the above finds then creates a .xml (movie metadata) and .jpg (movie cover) and places them in the movie folder where the MKV is ?  I then plan to copy this entire “movies” main directory to the hub.  So, how will the hub see and use ?

Also, as FYI…I do still have DVD Profiler installed on my PC that I used to export coverart and XMLs for the previous HTPC and all my movie/disk info is still there but it has been along time since I’ve used it and forget how to export .xml, etc.   Thus, not really sure how the Hub work/uses the files and if my DVD Profiler XML export files would work.

Also, since I’m new to the Hub and not setup yet…isn’t there a function in the UI to get movie info ?..not the same as this util ?

Any guidance/thoughts…on how to structure/integrate what will be a bunch of H.264 MKV movie files with the Metadata and cover art on the hub would be very appreciated !!!

Thx.

For a movie such as Movie.mkv the hub looks for Movie.xml and Movie.jpg to get its metadata and cover art. For any movie you can press the Options button on the remote and you can do “Get Info”. It is very tedious and does’t work well for foreign and obscure movies or for filenames that are not exact name of the movie.

My app creates the xml and jpg files in the same folder as the movie. You just specify a root folder where your movies are located and it shows you a list of all the movies (you can specify multiple locations). It is very easy to see which movies have metadata and which don’t. You can use IMDB and Amazon to lookup information about movies or you can add all the information yourself (you can drag and drop cover art form the web browser for example).

I noticed that the title is not taken properly from the xml file, this is a known bug with the current firmware.

So, if I have on my XP PC first…to setup/scan for Metadata…then bulk transfer to Hub…

Movies {Directory}

Taking of Pelham 123 {SubDirectory}

Taking Of Pelham 123.MKV

Rocky

Rocky.MKV

If I point your software to my directory Movies…it will…

1. Find all the MKV file names and seach to cover & metadata

2. Assuming it finds then it will save to each movie sub-directory…

Taking Of Pelham 123.xml

Taking Of Pelham 123.jpg

…that the Hub will see use ?

1. I doubt you have every used but I have DVD Profiler that has the HD cover images…and metadata. 

Does yours search for the HD covers ?  I’m just wondering if I should use/save those pics and if I can not export the DVD Profiler XMLs then use your util for the XML info.  I recall Profiler does export but I think entire movie library.  Plus, not sure if their XML format matches yours…assume the Hub needs some specific XML format and/or a specific theme ?

Thx !!!

thanks taranu

very nice and simple

taranu,

I got a error when trying to install to my XP Pro SP3 PC…it is very up to date on all MS, etc. updates.

This program will run/install on XP OK ?

Here is the log file…can you let me know if there is a resolution ?  Thx. 

PLATFORM VERSION INFO
 Windows    : 5.1.2600.196608 (Win32NT)
 Common Language Runtime  : 4.0.30319.1
 System.Deployment.dll   : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
 clr.dll    : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
 dfdll.dll    : 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
 dfshim.dll    : 4.0.31106.0 (Main.031106-0000)

SOURCES
 Deployment url   : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/thekochs/My%20Documents/PC%20&%20AV%20Hardware/WD%20TV%20Live%20Hub%20Media%20Player/WDTVMetaDataEditor/WDTVMetaDataEditor.application
 Application url   : file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/thekochs/My%20Documents/PC%20&%20AV%20Hardware/WD%20TV%20Live%20Hub%20Media%20Player/WDTVMetaDataEditor/Application%20Files/WDTVMetaDataEditor_1_0_0_3/WDTVMetaDataEditor.exe.manifest

IDENTITIES
 Deployment Identity  : WDTVMetaDataEditor.application, Version=1.0.0.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bc0475001c83c17d, processorArchitecture=msil
 Application Identity  : WDTVMetaDataEditor.exe, Version=1.0.0.3, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=bc0475001c83c17d, processorArchitecture=msil, type=win32

APPLICATION SUMMARY
 * Installable application.

ERROR SUMMARY
 Below is a summary of the errors, details of these errors are listed later in the log.
 * An exception occurred while determining trust. Following failure messages were detected:
  + Value does not fall within the expected range.
 * Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\thekochs\My Documents\PC & AV Hardware\WD TV Live Hub Media Player\WDTVMetaDataEditor\WDTVMetaDataEditor.application resulted in exception. Following failure messages were detected:
  + Value does not fall within the expected range.

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION FAILURE SUMMARY
 No transaction error was detected.

WARNINGS
 There were no warnings during this operation.

OPERATION PROGRESS STATUS
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:07 PM] : Activation of C:\Documents and Settings\thekochs\My Documents\PC & AV Hardware\WD TV Live Hub Media Player\WDTVMetaDataEditor\WDTVMetaDataEditor.application has started.
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:07 PM] : Processing of deployment manifest has successfully completed.
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:07 PM] : Installation of the application has started.
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:07 PM] : Processing of application manifest has successfully completed.
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:08 PM] : Found compatible runtime version 2.0.50727.
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:08 PM] : Detecting dependent assembly Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil using Sentinel.v3.5Client, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a, processorArchitecture=msil.
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:08 PM] : Detecting dependent assembly System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil using System.Data.Entity, Version=3.5.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b77a5c561934e089, processorArchitecture=msil.

ERROR DETAILS
 Following errors were detected during this operation.
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:08 PM] System.ArgumentException
  - Value does not fall within the expected range.
  - Source: mscorlib
  - Stack trace:
   at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IDefinitionAppId.EnumAppPath()
   at System.ActivationContext.CreateFromNameAndManifests(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity, String manifestPaths)
   at System.ActivationContext.CreatePartialActivationContext(ApplicationIdentity identity, String manifestPaths)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ActivationDescription.ToActivationContext()
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)
 * [2/8/2011 6:28:08 PM] System.ArgumentException
  - Value does not fall within the expected range.
  - Source: mscorlib
  - Stack trace:
   at System.Deployment.Internal.Isolation.IDefinitionAppId.EnumAppPath()
   at System.ActivationContext.CreateFromNameAndManifests(ApplicationIdentity applicationIdentity, String manifestPaths)
   at System.ActivationContext.CreatePartialActivationContext(ApplicationIdentity identity, String manifestPaths)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ActivationDescription.ToActivationContext()
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.DownloadApplication(SubscriptionState subState, ActivationDescription actDesc, Int64 transactionId, TempDirectory& downloadTemp)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.InstallApplication(SubscriptionState& subState, ActivationDescription actDesc)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.PerformDeploymentActivation(Uri activationUri, Boolean isShortcut, String textualSubId, String deploymentProviderUrlFromExtension, BrowserSettings browserSettings, String& errorPageUrl)
   at System.Deployment.Application.ApplicationActivator.ActivateDeploymentWorker(Object state)

COMPONENT STORE TRANSACTION DETAILS
 No transaction information is available.

It seems to be a permissions issue but I can’t really tell why it is.

That is too bad…was really looking forward to trying the util.

Anything I can try to help you debug ?

Amazing App!!!   You have saved me so much time!  Thank you for all of your very hard work!

Many thanks for you little app…very useful. greatly appreciated.

It would be awesome if the app supported creating an XML metadata file that mkvmerge would support to actually embed the metadata into the MKV file.

Currently, there are no good AIO tools out there to easily support MKV metadata editing.

only works on MKV, not video_ts ??

Same here

I have all my movies in

x:/Movies//VIDEO_TS/<Vob  files>

Metatag cannot find movies there.

And recreating .iso files out of 300+ dvd folders…ehm…no

any chance this lovely proggy might be adjusted to support /Video_ts directories??