New Firmware Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.03.49_V (11/16/10)

And there is another point… without upgrading I’M ALSO AFFECTED

A have an important issue for me: i get the annoying message of the “New version available” each time I swith the WD on and the only solution is:

1º keep on with the annoying message with no option to deactivate automatic upgrades checking or…

2º lose Youtube, radio online and everything which has to do with internet

My “solution” is losing 2º

Could it be possible just to add the option to deactivate upgrades and create a 1.02.22 only with that feature and a firmware size of about 30Mb instead of a 53Mb full of bugs and a couple of “improvements”?

Regards

This latest firmware is absolutely terrible. Do not even think about using it. How on earth can WD release such a piece of junk. I have persisted with WD TV LIve for about  a year now but time to abandon the product altogether and look for something else. New firmware and updates…all like putting a small plaster on a shark bite. I tried hard and posted on several topics too ,with many workarounds to try and make up for the obvious issues with the product and its unstable firmware. But honestly - we are all flogging a dead horse. Goodbye WD!

I am not sure the firmware is as bad as you are making out. Nonetheless, here is my bug:

Setup:

WD TV live connected to the Samsung 46LEB650 TV using HDMI, connected to a Pioneer AVR using TOS. Settings to digital audio. The TV is also connected to the AVR using TOS. The AVR has no Audio Delay capability.

The old firmware allowed me to route AC3 5.1 through the TV to the AVR (adding the correct sync delay in the TV). Now, there is no sound. MP3 Stereo works. The direct TOS link to the AVR also works, but then I lose audio sync.

Ok, let’s analyze your case and your bug…

you say not as bad? hehe. WD worked before for you and now… does it do what you want?? the answer is NO

And you say not as bad?? can you understand why WD has included bugs that were not present before? I can’t

Sorry but if this device doesn’t do what it’s supposed to do and firmware support is so awful, from an objetive point of view it is BAD product. I would classify it as another “abandonware” like many other products.

OK UPDATE : All those Facing Problems with Video Playback …

PLEASE MAKE SURE TO DELETE THe  .wdtv Folder from ur Hard drive before Testing                    

Itll Solve Lot of the Errors That You have Been Facing In the PAST

The Firmware IS OK …

One Problem : FADE IN FADE OUT Effects Not Working

Hi,

I have a quastion about the Resolved HDMI auto resolution selection issue. Is this working now?

I have a sony KDL-40W4500 and when I’m playing a 720p content then Sony display 1080p. No switching to 720p. Is this normal? Switch the resolution on other TVs?

Hi,

-Fade In Fade Out is not working more. This issue was also present in betas.

-When WD is in standby, device keeps sending video signal on composite Out.

With HDMI cable works OK. (Tested on friend’s TV).

Sure these are all firmware bugs. With firmware 1.02.21 works all OK.

Hey guys,

I heard it supports Wireless keyboards…

which ones??

…ask WD team and they will answer you … or maybe not?

good luck, but I’m afraid, you will have to test yourself with different keyboards. I doubt that WD will tell you about this info, the same as all the other issues. “Use this firmware, test yourself and tell me how it goes”, instead of “use this 99% tested and bug-free firmware and if in the remote case that you find any bug, inform me to correct it in the next version”

bichozzz wrote:

Ok, let’s analyze your case and your bug…

you say not as bad? hehe. WD worked before for you and now… does it do what you want?? the answer is NO

Agreed.

Hello y’all,

When I bought WD Live I had the first version (1.0.1. or sth like that) of the firmware already installed and it worked, it recognized all my media from the hard drive (WD MyBook Elite), but I couldn’t watch  YouTube videos. so i updated the firmware (the very latest 1.03.49_V) and now the problem has switched: I can now watch YouTube but the device doesn’t recognize my hard drive.

What can I do?

Is there somewhere I could download the first firmware (1.0.1.) because watching stuff from the hard disc is much more important to me than you tube or can i do both?

I mean, I should be able to do both, shouldn’t I?

Thanks, respond fast please, anyone…

Maybe if you describe the problem and mention if you have tried the reset and other suggestions in this thread we can help you resolve the problem. Saying “it doesn’t work” is not very descriptive :slight_smile:

M_Swann wrote:

Hello y’all,

When I bought WD Live I had the first version (1.0.1. or sth like that) of the firmware already installed and it worked, it recognized all my media from the hard drive (WD MyBook Elite), but I couldn’t watch  YouTube videos. so i updated the firmware (the very latest 1.03.49_V) and now the problem has switched: I can now watch YouTube but the device doesn’t recognize my hard drive.

What can I do?

Is there somewhere I could download the first firmware (1.0.1.) because watching stuff from the hard disc is much more important to me than you tube or can i do both?

I mean, I should be able to do both, shouldn’t I?

Thanks, respond fast please, anyone…

Finally, I’ll go back to FW 1.02.21.

After updating to the current release, I noticed some HDMI issues never had before. Furthermore, the unit did not wake up from standby yesterday evening. I had to unplug the box from power first. Also, the new options menu behaviour breaks my Harmony-Remote programming.

Since DVD navigation or MediaFly was never a must have for me and the 1.02.21 works perfect in my setup, the new FW is of no advantage to me. The logical step: roll back to 1.02.21.

Cheers,

Zap

Up to now didn’t had the power problem today to wake it up (but I can’t certify when it’s been shut down as I’m not the only one to use it) but all this after a reset to factory after updating the firmware (which solves as well the connection problem with my network share to the nas).

It should be recommanded to WD to automatically reset to factory after firmware upgrade in order to avoid so much complains because it ends up that you don’t have the choice anyway :smiley:

Psykbe wrote:

Up to now didn’t had the power problem today to wake it up (but I can’t certify when it’s been shut down as I’m not the only one to use it) but all this after a reset to factory after updating the firmware (which solves as well the connection problem with my network share to the nas).

It should be recommanded to WD to automatically reset to factory after firmware upgrade in order to avoid so much complains because it ends up that you don’t have the choice anyway :smiley:

Its always recommended on this forum.

richUK wrote:

> * * *
Psykbe wrote:

• *> I agree with you.> My mobile does it when I upgrade it.> Maybe the player could prompt you whether you want to reset it to factory defaults the first time you startup on a new firmware.  At the same time it should also clear all the network settings.> I don’t know if its possible to do it though. I guess WD will know.> If not, the player can maybe warn you that it will be set to factory defaults when you upgrade and do it automatically after its complete.> That would probably solve 90% of all upgrade problems reported.

Can anywhere answere to my qustion? Are the player output 720p if I’m playing 720p video files. My TV shows always 1080p when I’m playing 720p content.

If you’ve set it to 1080 (or it has negotiated 1080 during an “Auto” handshake), then it will send 1080.  Always.  Until you tell it to send something else.

It doesn’t change the output signal to match the file.  It stays at what it’s been set to, and matches the output file to whatever it’s been told to output.

So, if your WDTV has been told to output 1080 to your display, then it will… regardless of whether the media being played is 1080, or 720, or 480.

blizzard wrote:

Hey guys,

I heard it supports Wireless keyboards…

which ones??

I use a Logitech Wii keyboard.

Layout works pretty well for the Live.  Keyboard is compact.  Range is pretty good.  Doesn’t cost too much (<$20 on Amazon).  :)

@Zaphod42.

I’m in the exact same boat. When I saw the Firmware Upgrade my first thought was to skip it because everything was working great. Now WD Live says there is “No Content” in my hard drives. Ridiculous. Western Digital, you need to wake up to these problems before you release your “updates” or WD Live will be a thing of the past – quickly!