New Firmware Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.03.49_V (11/16/10)

OMGdlux, did you reset your box after the update like is being suggested to everyone else experiencing problems?

Many users are finding their issues disappearing with a “Reset To Defaults” after the update.

Going from the latest beta to the official release did not require me to reset and re-enter my network information. I was able to access my shares immediately so it seems this may not be an issue moving forward (fingers crossed).

joels wrote:

Maybe the player could prompt you whether you want to reset it to factory defaults the first time you startup on a new firmware.  At the same time it should also clear all the network settings.

TonyPh12345 wrote:
It’s becoming more clear now why some people ares having issues with shares after the upgrade. It appears that WD has completely redone SAMBA. It’s using a much newer version. The cached passwords are probably not correct for a new version of SAMBA, that’s why there is a KB article written about it!! I am going to bet that this is all being done to correct the win7 issues, and required a massive rewrite. I am actually surprised to see a new version, that’s no small task. The win7 issues will probably be fixed an ipcoming release.

Why didn’t they fix the Windows 7 sharing issues in this fw? It’s been a long time b/w proper fw releases and there’s a lot of people using Windows 7 now. Don’t really feel like waiting another year for this to work. Anybody know of any better devices on the market?

Stone_Age wrote:

TonyPh12345 wrote:
It’s becoming more clear now why some people ares having issues with shares after the upgrade. It appears that WD has completely redone SAMBA. It’s using a much newer version. The cached passwords are probably not correct for a new version of SAMBA, that’s why there is a KB article written about it!! I am going to bet that this is all being done to correct the win7 issues, and required a massive rewrite. I am actually surprised to see a new version, that’s no small task. The win7 issues will probably be fixed an ipcoming release.

Why didn’t they fix the Windows 7 sharing issues in this fw? It’s been a long time b/w proper fw releases and there’s a lot of people using Windows 7 now. Don’t really feel like waiting another year for this to work. Anybody know of any better devices on the market?

I have no idea.    Probably because they spent all their time fixing the huge HDMI issue.

Other media players have the exact same limitation with Win7…  Even the brand new BOXEE has the same problem.

But at least we are seeing evidence that WD is TRYING to fix it, as opposed to just abandoning all hope…

Why are you guys complaining about WD Live having Win7 sharing issues?

It is something wrong with the Win7 settings not with the WD player!!!

I made mine work in under a minute, after getting documented with the issue very well (a couple of hours of reading).

The solution was actually adding some registry hack (overriding some default settings on sharing) on Win7, not the player.

I’m looking for the link to the registry script and post it here… brb

TonyPh12345 wrote:
I have no idea. Probably because they spent all their time fixing the huge HDMI issue. Other media players have the exact same limitation with Win7… Even the brand new BOXEE has the same problem. But at least we are seeing evidence that WD is TRYING to fix it, as opposed to just abandoning all hope…

I know you say that, but my shares were at least being recognized on the last fw, albeit after a delay (roughly 15-30 minutes). Now there’s no recognition at all. I’ve left the thing on for over 2 hours at a time and it still doesn’t see the shares. Seems like they’ve taken baby steps forward and a huge leap backwards.

The registry thing i was talking earlier:

http://wdtvforum.com/main/index.php?PHPSESSID=qq8vl2gb618feeab9vcf6095t7&topic=3484.msg28245#msg28245

which in fact enables anonymous access to everyone shares…

However you might be the victim of some very bad timing from M$ to launch a stupid assistant to mess up our things:

Windows Live ID assistant - many say that after installing it, their network with WD Live was down.

I haven’t installed the useless assistant so I can’t really comment.

I am sure WD didn’t break anything…

Alex

AlexStanica wrote:

Why are you guys complaining about WD Live having Win7 sharing issues?

It is something wrong with the Win7 settings not with the WD player!!!

Not really true.   The problem is in the SAMBA library which had a known bug.    While hacking Windows can “Fix” it, the “PROPER” thing is to correct the SAMBA library (which the Samba group did, now WD must integrate the fixes.)

WDTV-User wrote:

"Resolved Issues:

Resolved various user interface translation issues."

The Developers are large Liars.

The mistakes in the German translation were not corrected.

Hmmm.   I don’t think it says ALL user interface translation issues, does it?    I think, in this case, it’s YOUR translation that is flawed.   :wink:

Lets check those great new features again;

1. Totally hosed audio… cannot hear anything. Check!
  2. Cannot connect to network drives. Check!
  3. Problems with local drives too! Check!
  4. Everything on media server says it’s music, Check!

Yep.  Really good upgrade!

Downgraded again after my family revolted.

How / where did you find the previous firmware?  This update just messed everything up for me and I want to go back, but I can’t find the previous firmware for download anywhere.  Thanks.

it still has the exact same HDMI audio bitstream problem in this config.

WDTV → HDMI Switch → Yamaha Receiver → TV

With the previous firmware (with no DVD menu support) this works perfectly. Bitstream through HDMI - DTS through HDMi no problem.

With every beta release - which I always gave feedback to but was ignored - and I wasn’t the only one - and this version - you can only get 5.1 through the optical port. So now WD have managed to remove the advantage of an HDMi single cable solution and I have to run optical cables again. 

Extremely disappointing. I won’t be buying another WDTV media which makes me sad because I like the devices and like the look of the newer ones. Since they broke this most basic of things and completely ignored the feedback I have no faith anymore.

If I revert the firmware to the old version everything is perfect again but I don’t get DVD menus. Grrr.

WDTV-User wrote:

Sure. …and the German customers are idiots. 

Look.   You called them LIARS (which is a very strong insult) and you are simply WRONG.  They didn’t say they fixed every translation issue, so there is no lie.  

i dont know what you guys are on about with the new firmware:

“cannot connect to drives”…etc etc

I updated mine yesterday, and played movies from Media Share and Network Folder without a problem…

i heard deleteing the .wdtv f(hidden folder) works, plus also dont forget to "clear network login:

the only thing i did was i disconnected it completely from network and re-connected just for the hell of making a new connection.

+1

Just updated the 1.03.49_V Firmware to my WD Live.

The WDTV Live is connected to an usb harddrive.

Haven’t experienced any issue.

DTS and AC3 work fine with my JVC TH-L1 Receiver using optical cable.

The video connected via HDMI to my Samsung LCD TV.

Haven’t yet tried:

1. Network (since I don’t have network at home)

2. DVD Menu (since I don’t have ISO or DVD folder at my storage, only mkv at there)

Another menu problem …

Procedure:

1. disconnect network cable.

2. change WORKGROUP name and select OK.

3. WD will attempt to restart the network connection … and fail (of course - no connection).

4. On the next screen WD says no connection; CANCEL or RETRY

5. the functions performed by selecting RETRY or CANCEL are interchanged. 

I worked in software development for years; this lack of proper testing is unfathomable!

FlickeryTube wrote:

Lets check those great new features again;

1. Totally hosed audio… cannot hear anything. Check!
  2. Cannot connect to network drives. Check!
  3. Problems with local drives too! Check!
  4. Everything on media server says it’s music, Check!

Yep.  Really good upgrade!

Downgraded again after my family revolted.

do a hard reset with a clip and a factory default setting.   disconnect unit for 10 minutes.  Connect again.  I did this with Live unit and it removed all issues experienced.