New Firmware Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.03.49_V (11/16/10)

I’ve just read every post in his thread and can’t for the life of me understand how so many people are having issues !? I feel a little guilty that my upgrade went smoothly and everything works perfect. Now that the live plays DVD menus, I’m happy.

I am also having a problem with turning on the wdtvlive after it’s been in sleep mode for an exteneded period of time (maybe 24 hrs or so)  The unit won’t turn on with the remote.  You have to pull the plug and plug it back in.  Also, is anybody having issues with the remote control navigation?  Sometimes when moving around the menus or movie listings the cursor double jumps past entries.  Never had this problem before the update.  I have reset to default settings to no avail…

Hmmm still no optical pass through either??? :frowning:

Not working here… anyone else ?

wd-tv(hdmi) U lost me here :frowning:

wd-tv(hdmi) should i connect my tv to avr using toslink?

settings i tried

wd-tv(hdmi) wd-toslink-avr lag audio snyn with mkv files. i tried both digital only and hdmi digital only

wd-tv(hdmi)-avr using toslink with audio lag still… thanks mate!

I updated yesterday.  Today I own a brick.  After an extended sleep mode, the remote is completely non-functional.  I can’t use a USB drive to go back to a previous version, because the remote won’t navigate at all to enter the update firmware function.  Yesterday, I noticed issues with quirky “stalls” in the navigation using the remote, and movies going out of sync with voice and video, as well as “stuttering” in the video in playback.  Today, not even tne Power button works.

I tried a hard reset, and it does nothing to help.  Pulling the plug and waiting 5 minutes doesn’t help either.

Any help is welcome.

Did you try new batteries in the remote?

Yes, Batteries are good. 

TonyPh12345 wrote:
It seams like it’d be easy, no? But what if that person put in there some illegitimate words? Like a reference to someones dubious heritage? I dont read fluent German, so if I was on the staff, I wouldnt catch it… It all has to be vetted… And that costs money. And then, of course, there are contractual obligations and legal matters that none of us will ever grasp…

No way. If was is in the device today was vetted, the vetting was very, very, very cheap.

And: As a  Jedi, I feel seriously offended to be told that WD is using “the force”; also the word “bisschen” is very offensive – isn’t it, guys. :smileyvery-happy:

Hi, I installed the firmware today. My WD TV Live works fine before the install. It seems to be working fine after the install until I switch from HDMI to composite video output. It doesn’t seem like to switch to composite anymore. Every time I choose composite it just goes back to HDMI. Is there a way to restore the previous firmware? I would like to install the previous firmware where it works perfectly fine for my needs. I can’t afford to buy 2 media players so I just transfer my player from the living room (HDMI) to my room  (composite SD TV).

Hi,

I’ve installed the new firmware yesterday and rollback to 1.2.21 today. The framerate on MPG-2 Videos is to low. The video was flickering. Actor moves are becoming visibly chopped.

So from my point of view there is a real performance issue.

Network was working fine and it was easy to manage integration in my home network. But if new issues will be introduced with  new firmware it makes WD Live unusable.

For the rollback I was using  wdtvlive_rollback_1.02.21.zip I captured some weeks ago fortunately.

Somebody detected the same problems ?

regards

jecster wrote:

I second that…  seems like when i updated the firmware, all my movies that i play in my network drive seems to be lagging (though the one’s in my external HD is OK)…  does anyone have this kind of experience?  I’m thinking of now reverting back to the old FW. 

I am also having this problem I had to move movies to a hdd to play them now.  some things play off the network still, its been inconsistent.

ericmb wrote:

Hi, I installed the firmware today. My WD TV Live works fine before the install. It seems to be working fine after the install until I switch from HDMI to composite video output. It doesn’t seem like to switch to composite anymore. Every time I choose composite it just goes back to HDMI. Is there a way to restore the previous firmware? I would like to install the previous firmware where it works perfectly fine for my needs. I can’t afford to buy 2 media players so I just transfer my player from the living room (HDMI) to my room  (composite SD TV).

If you are connected via HDMI and attempting to select composite then no doubt it will not work. Just hook up the unit to a composite output using the supplied lead and it should work. I have never set up the unit to composite, as long as you set up for NTSC or PAL then you should be OK.

It ran …Fine For a Few days …but now the Colours Are all messed …UP …the firmware needs Various Corrections …

Too Sad after Soo Much Time WD came out with this … :frowning:

soran wrote:

Hi,

I’ve installed the new firmware yesterday and rollback to 1.2.21 today. The framerate on MPG-2 Videos is to low. The video was flickering. Actor moves are becoming visibly chopped.

So from my point of view there is a real performance issue.

Network was working fine and it was easy to manage integration in my home network. But if new issues will be introduced with  new firmware it makes WD Live unusable.

For the rollback I was using  wdtvlive_rollback_1.02.21.zip I captured some weeks ago fortunately.

Somebody detected the same problems ?

regards

Look on the positive side.  At least you HAD a network connection after installing this garbage. My netgear dongle failed to stay connected.  And, yes, roll back to 1.02.21.  And don’t forget to edit the .ver file to somehting like 1.03.50 or higher.

Hi,

to make it short: Update was no problem. Plays all media like before. Thats’s it.

But I use USB drives and component output so probably my setup is not critical enough to find fatal bugs.

As a Mac user I’m positively surprised that obviously journaling support for HFS+ partitions has been added.

However, I can now use the media library feature with HFS+ journaled drives.

As far as I know it is not noted in the release notes so I’m not sure if the feature is safe enough and does not destroy my data?

I gave also feedback regarding the german menu translation nearly one year ago in December 2009:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Bad-german-translation-in-the-user-menu-of-WD-TV-Live/m-p/2953#M1285

Nothing has been fixed in 1.02.21 and now they are fixed partially. But before we start a big discussion again:

I can accept the argument that fixing issues or adding new features is more important than that.

So I use the english menu setting instead which is better than using this terrible translation.

With that in mind, I find that there is very little progress for one year of development when I compare the current against the old firmware 1.0.1.11 from December 2009 when I bought this player.

I think instead of supporting almost every file format (you effectively cannot support all of them) and adding useless features (MediaFly, Live 365, Pandora) it would be better to make the software stable and bug free.

What about really cool features which would make this device rock?

Why no exFat support? Why no Shoutcast client? Keyboard suppport? Browser? E-Mail client?

Did WD notice that newer Flatscreens have build-in MKV support which makes pure standalone players expendable?

Think about it!

Quote:

As a Mac user I’m positively surprised that obviously journaling support for HFS+ partitions has been added.

As far as I know it is not noted in the release notes so I’m not sure if the feature is safe enough and does not destroy my data?

Have been using my external HFS+ formated drive since I brought the live with firmware version 1.02.21 installed, has always run with no problems.

Andi172 wrote:

Hi,

to make it short: Update was no problem. Plays all media like before. Thats’s it.

But I use USB drives and component output so probably my setup is not critical enough to find fatal bugs.

I gave also feedback regarding the german menu translation nearly one year ago in December 2009:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/General-Discussions/Bad-german-translation-in-the-user-menu-of-WD-TV-Live/m-p/2953#M1285

Nothing has been fixed in 1.02.21 and now they are fixed partially. But before we start a big discussion again:

I can accept the argument that fixing issues or adding new features is more important than that.

So I use the english menu setting instead which is better than using this terrible translation.

With that in mind, I find that there is very little progress for one year of development when I compare the current against the old firmware 1.0.1.11 from December 2009 when I bought this player.

I think instead of supporting almost every file format (you effectively cannot support all of them) and adding useless features (MediaFly, Live 365, Pandora) it would be better to make the software stable and bug free.

What about really cool features which would make this device rock?

Why no exFat support? Why no Shoutcast client? Keyboard suppport? Browser? E-Mail client?

Did WD notice that newer Flatscreens have build-in MKV support which makes pure standalone players expendable?

Think about it!

Too late about the German translation, that thread has already been started.

If you noticed, everything you quoted regarding file supported and services like Live365 / pandora were in the original firmware so no they have not wasting their time on that.  Mediafly and DVD menu support has been added together with keyboard support - see they were listening.

I totally agree regarding the bugs but with WD its always one step forward and x steps back.

Following the update, I had the same network issues that many people have reported (connecting to a Windows 2000 server containing all my TV/movies etc). I tried all the usual stuff like factory defaults reset, clearing the saved credentials, setting Auto Login off.

I found that doing those things worked during that boot session, but then on restart (hard or soft) the fix did not persist. Auto-login failed and I had to turn it off again.

I was just about to downgrade, when I had what seemed like a daft idea. When you’ve done a factory reset, the network credentials default to user: anonymous, no password. Could it be sending this in auto-login, even though you’ve told it to use different credentials in the past?

So I created that user on the Win2k server, and it works - auto-login has worked fine over several restarts and turning off at the plug.

Perhaps those that have had no issues have the guest account enabled in Windows, allowing it to connect without the need to check credentials?

No other issues found with the upgrade here. I have noticed that it takes a few seconds longer to start up though.

I installed the 103.49 , and overall I’m pleased with this firmware update as this version plays more audio in more movies than the previous firmware did, and voices seem to stay in sync better as well.