New Firmware Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.03.49_V (11/16/10)

Cusco wrote:

Ok, I installed this firmware and I think everything is working more or less, even I didn’t test on the Network.

One thing I notice is that on 1080p24hz, the menus are pretty slow.

I don’t think anyone answered you… 

Yes, the animations are slower because the framerate is slower.   The animations are done one frame at a time, and if the frame rate is cut by more than half, then the animations will take about twice as long to complete.    Not pretty, but that’s at least an explanation of WHY.  

Well almost all looks good but:

wdtvlive+mypassport 320gb - turned off after music listening via remote control.

On next day i cannot turn it on via remote, only ac power disconnect helps.

Menu navigation slow, but sometimes it’s animation faster as on previous release.

After hard reset, when it’s rebooted menu freeze about 20 seconds.

WDTV-User wrote:Show here:> http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/German-localization/td-p/9957> February 2010

Thread is locked.

WDTV-User wrote:

kraemer_sg wrote:

WDTV-User wrote:Show here:> http://community.wdc.com/t5/Firmware/German-localization/td-p/9957> February 2010

Thread is locked.

Yes, And that means:

The developers are not interested.

No it means that the thread got out of hand.

with this update I can’t view my subtitles .mov, What can I do?

WDTV-User wrote:

richUK wrote:

WDTV-User wrote:

kraemer_sg wrote:

Thread is locked.

Yes, And that means:

No it means that the thread got out of hand.

No, the translation problems were not removed until today.  From the first to the current version. That is fact. 

Therefore:

What are talking about now? I was talking about the thread being closed.

WDTV-User wrote:

No, the translation problems were not removed until today.  From the first to the current version. That is fact. 

Therefore:

That thread got closed because people started shooting the messenger.

Post your list of translation corrections either here or start a new thread entitled “1.03.49 Translation Errors”.

That is productive. Calling names and being rude to the people you’re asking for help is foolish and counterproductive.

I agree in general, of course, but I read the thread and it was nowhere near “out of hand”. It seemed rather that it was closed because the developers were not interested anyway.

I don’t think it’s a question of them being “not interested”. The sad truth is that translation errors are not as important as the many other issues affecting the actual performance and usability of the units. For example , the HDMI issues that have been the sole focus of the beta releases for months now. Do you want a unit that turns on and handshakes correctly with your TV, or should they ignore that and make sure “Bit” is translated correctly first? Yeah, ideally it should do both but if you had to prioritise, what would you honestly do first?

I think that’s it in a nutshell.

If you know that they’ve used the wrong word, then you generally also know what word they should have used.  So, even if the screen is wrong, you know what it’s supposed to say.  It doesn’t prevent you from using the device.

I think WD’s priorities lie in the problems that make the device completely unusable, first and foremost (as they should).

Anything that has a viable work-around, or is merely an annoyance, is further down the priority list.

And this affects all companies, and works both ways.  I have several German pieces of software (or at least the devlopment team is German) with many typos and bad translations, that there’s been no changes to for weeks or months or years.  Having it tell me to “wait 30 secounds” doesn’t prevent me from using the software.  Sure, I’d like them to eventually get around and fix it, but there’s more important things I’d like them to fix first, and how “simple” the typo/translation fixes might be to implement is rather immaterial to their importance.  If they’d rather devote their time to things that don’t work at all, instead of stopping development to fix a few typos, that’s ok by me.

I disagree.

The issues you are describing can only be solved by the Tech Team, but language issues can be solved by the community as provided in the closed thread.

What do I mean? All companies should take a strong interest in possible help by the users.

WD is on middle ground, they participate but in many ways do their own thing.

Samsung for example is far worse and arrogant. Their service lines (when you call them) tell you not to believe stuff on the internet.

There are more examples out there.

So, why not give us something to do here, we spend time in this forum anyway.

We’d do it free, but maybe some user wishes (such as AC3 5.1 on HDMI or adjustable audio delay) could make it into the next firmware.

BTW, working on things that make the device unusable means they sold an unusable device – how is that for a paradox.

kraemer_sg wrote:

BTW, working on things that make the device unusable means they sold an unusable device

Not if the “unusable” issues only pop up in a beta release of an update when new features that users had asked for were attempted to be added, and were working fine in the original firmware, and subsequent stable releases – it just means the beta made the device unusable when features that users demanded (and weren’t in the original specs/features) got added to it.  So it seems like the 2 choices were fix what stopped working, or forget about adding the new features.

No offense to any German WD customers, but I’d bet if you took a worldwide poll of WDTV Live users and asked "Which would you rather have, proper German translations, or DVD menu support? you’d probably find yourselves outvoted.

RoofingGuy wrote:

Not if the “unusable” issues … forget about adding the new features.

OK, I can agree with that.

It seams like it’d be easy, no? But what if that person put in there some illegitimate words? Like a reference to someones dubious heritage? I dont read fluent German, so if I was on the staff, I wouldnt catch it… It all has to be vetted… And that costs money. And then, of course, there are contractual obligations and legal matters that none of us will ever grasp…

WDTV-User wrote:

Here a complete solution for the known translation problem

Yes… complete solution: send any suggested changes to Bill as screen captures of incorrect translations and he’d pass them on to the translators for review by WD’s translating staff.  Right at the very beginning everyone was told they could offer suggestions, but they would not be given the job of re-writing up the localization themselves.  It isn’t really WD’s fault that people didn’t like that answer.

Whether the staff accepts a given translation or not, isn’t up to you or Bill, but up to the WD translating staff… and when they actually implement the changes is again up to the staff.

And don’t forget that regional variations can come into play for the decision process… if you go to France, your car’s turn signal is “le clignotant”… if you try to use “le clignotant” in Quebec, you just get puzzled looks from the mechanics… when you point at “le clignotant”, they reply with “ohhh… le clicker!” :wink: