Netflix in the UK (Cant connect - yes another)

I’m in exactly the same boat EVs62, I’ve e-mailed Pixmania informing them that I’m not happy with their product, that it doesn’t perform as advertised and requested a refund.

The problem here is that even when WD fix this current issue which I still expect will happen, there’s now a huge cloud of doubt over WD’s commitment to keeping Netflix working in the UK. At any time in the future a future change on WD’s side or Netflix’s side could take the app out of action again for months.

WD need to explain why this fix is taking so long, and try to instill some confidence in current and potential customers as to the future of Netflix UK on the WD live.

J.

1 Like

I was gonna go roku but saw this device had optical out and Netflix thats why i went for it  did i do right ?, just hope its sorted soon.

mcdonnj wrote:

The problem here is that even when WD fix this current issue which I still expect will happen, there’s now a huge cloud of doubt over WD’s commitment to keeping Netflix working in the UK. At any time in the future a future change on WD’s side or Netflix’s side could take the app out of action again for months.

WD need to explain why this fix is taking so long, and try to instill some confidence in current and potential customers as to the future of Netflix UK on the WD live.

J.

I am pretty confident that we are working on this issue, though I’m not sure what the cause is.

Well last week WD told me they had  received any similar problems. I then sent them the url of this thread and not heard anything back from them. Very poor customer service

1 Like

i am another new owner who has the same problem.Everything else works fine and i have netflix working on my wii and laptop fine.

It seems that WD don’t have a unified approach to this problem, even after it has been apparent for many weeks now.

The response to my original query regarding Error 502 still gives no clue as the fact it is an issue known to WD.  Below is the latest response which I received today, 11th April.  Each response I get from them contains at least one question which they’ve already  asked - and I’ve answered - in the previous response.  The same applies with this one, with a whole new raft of questions about IP addresses and ISPs being thrown into the mix as well.  After answering these questions my Error 502 query will be taken seriously enough to for it to be “escalated”, it seems. 

Can it really be true that the many disperate communications of the unfortunate people who have bought this sub-standard SMP have not yet been recognised as one big, collective problem by WD?

In my reply I included the link to this thread and another on the same subject.  Let’s see what happens.

Thank you for your reply. I checked this with my escalation team and we would suggest the following:

• Have you contacted Netflix to ensure there is nothing wrong with the account linked to the WD TV?

If Netflix says everything is fine and the issue still remains, then we request the following information to escalate your incident for investigation: 

• What is your home IP Address:  (you can use the website http://www.whatismyip.com/ ) - The name of your ISP (internet service provider). - What type of service do you have? Cabled, ADSL or some other connection?: - Model of Router: - Firmware version of Router (if possible): - What city are you located in?: - What State/county or Province are you located in?:  
    Are there any other error message you have received?: I.E 502, Unable to connect to Netflix.
    Once we have all the above information we can escalate the case to investigate.

Pull your finger out WD.  This is bordering on farcical.

Thanks for the post Volemangler found it very usefull to read ,as they are the same questions from WD that were put to me one month ago and as yet still no reply from them to my answers.  So from this i can see the issue as you say does not seem to be taken as a whole because i also copied this thread in , so it would seem a fix is no further along than when i bought the unit in early feb.  The issue could be on the Netflix side but they will not discuss the problem , they just say contact WD as its their unit , so where does that leave the customer? Nowhere ! . Its got to be somethin to do with the UK DNS because when we used the temp American DNS it worked for a bit . Anyway im bored now of this problem its time to put  my efforts into a refund . good luck.

Bill_S wrote:

I am pretty confident that we are working on this issue, though I’m not sure what the cause is.

I was going to wait another few days before commenting again, but in view of the more recent posts I can’t restraint myself… and note I’m not even a customer yet!

Bill, I do appreciate you making a comment, and I understand that this is an informal contact mechanism for WD. Having said that, you need to change your view of this issue a little. If Netflix on WD devices in US broke, would it really take 2 months and counting for WD to fix it? Would WD continue to apparently treat each complaint as a new completely unheard of event?

You need to be more than “pretty confident” that it is being worked on. If you are not 100% certain, and don’t know the exact case numbers that refer to the issue then you need to urgently find out. It may be that you can’t discuss the details (I know companies are notoriously secretive about bugs) and it may be that you can’t give any timelines for a fix, but the least you can do is assure everyone that you have spoken to someone senior who knows about the problem and that everything that can be done is being done. It would also be helpful to tell customers who complain that you are working on a known issue.

J.

volemangler wrote:

It seems that WD don’t have a unified approach to this problem, even after it has been apparent for many weeks now.

The response to my original query regarding Error 502 still gives no clue as the fact it is an issue known to WD.  Below is the latest response which I received today, 11th April.  Each response I get from them contains at least one question which they’ve already  asked - and I’ve answered - in the previous response.  The same applies with this one, with a whole new raft of questions about IP addresses and ISPs being thrown into the mix as well.  After answering these questions my Error 502 query will be taken seriously enough to for it to be “escalated”, it seems. 

Can it really be true that the many disperate communications of the unfortunate people who have bought this sub-standard SMP have not yet been recognised as one big, collective problem by WD?

In my reply I included the link to this thread and another on the same subject.  Let’s see what happens.

Thank you for your reply. I checked this with my escalation team and we would suggest the following:

• Have you contacted Netflix to ensure there is nothing wrong with the account linked to the WD TV?

If Netflix says everything is fine and the issue still remains, then we request the following information to escalate your incident for investigation: 

• What is your home IP Address:  (you can use the website http://www.whatismyip.com/ ) - The name of your ISP (internet service provider). - What type of service do you have? Cabled, ADSL or some other connection?: - Model of Router: - Firmware version of Router (if possible): - What city are you located in?: - What State/county or Province are you located in?:  
    Are there any other error message you have received?: I.E 502, Unable to connect to Netflix.
    Once we have all the above information we can escalate the case to investigate.

Pull your finger out WD.  This is bordering on farcical.

We are investigating this issue with Netflix, and we can always use more information.  So, if tech support asks you for more information then please give it to them.  We are taking this seriously and are prepared to do an emergency release for this, once we get a fix we can apply. 

Hello folks,

I am having exactly the same problem - I have 2 of these boxes now - one for the living room and one for the bedroom.

The bedroom one has the previous firmware on it and it seems to be still working okay.

The living room one is the one having the issue which has the latest firmware on it.

I get the 502 error myself, I have tried restarting, power cycling , even complete restore to factory settings but still no joy.

I actually called netflix last night, they suggested some of the things which i had already tried. I also tried resetting all devices so i would have to sign in to each one again.

My dns was set to open dns , they suggested resetting dns to default settings which also didnt work

Judging by all of the above it must be related to the firmware of the device(both of mine are less than a month old)

This is just shocking it’s obviously a problem with the device and not dns/ network problems as i have checked all that

Come on western digital sort it out as soon as possible as that was one of the reasons(although not the only one) i bought your device

My device is still connecting fine through my normal DNS, a couple of weeks since I did a full factory reset. I also updated to the reset firmware update (last week i think?), and still fine. Very, very strange, seems to be complete pot-luck at the moment… wonder how long it’ll last.

I have two Live streaming units (both bought, and based in the UK), and Netflix is working fine for me. It works nicely connecting to the UK and US Netflix sites (using the DNS trick).

Sometimes the devices will ‘unregister’ themselves which means I have login and re-authorise them again (which can be a pain, but nothing major).

I have occaisionally had the ‘201’ error where it simply won’t log in, but I’ve noticed that logging into their website (via standard computer based brower) has shown the site seems to be temporarily down - obvioulsy not a fault of WD.

Clearly it’s not a clear-cut issue and that Netflix themselves have to bear a lot of the burden of the problem.

*edit* I should mention both are wired connections running current Firmware.

what is this DNS fix and how do you do it?

Thanks

Just to be clear, the DNS ‘trick’ only enables a UK user to see the US Netflix service. You can get this through: http://unblock-us.com/

It’s a week free trial, and a small amount after that. Worth it I feel, as the US Netflix catalogue has a lot more on offer than the UK one.

Hello  nanas01 i dont want to cause any offence but . I live in the UK and want to watch Netflix UK and thought i bought the device to do that , also why do i want to pay an extra amount each month to use a American DNS to watch Netflix USA  i like alot of the British content on Netflix UK.

I totally agree that it could be on the Netflix side but they and WD need to sort between them for us the customer.  

For those of you having problems with accessing Netflix, I have created another thread for getting more information on your issues.  It would be tremendous help, if you would go answer the questions.  

Request for Information from those having issues with Netflix

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Request-for-Information-from-those-having-issues-with-Netflix/td-p/388877

1 Like

Hi everyone, bought mine about a week ago and was disappointed to find netflix not working giving me the 502 error. After trying the wd support suggestions (roll back firmware then update firmware again then reset) which didn’t work, i decided to try the unbloc-us week trial. This worked straight away and let me log in and start watching. I also changed the DNS back and tried to log in and it all works on the UK side now, so no longer have any problems. The week trial with unbloc us is painless to get too just enter your email address and your done so  worth a try. Hope this helps.

Hi Tbone 1234

Thats exactly what i used to do but i found that  Netflix UK eventually kicks the device after about a day or next log on.  I think once it sees the UK  DNS again . let me know if  Netflix UK deactivates the device .

Tar! 

Will do evs62 but ill be using my weeks trial first, tons of content on U.S side.