Netflix in the UK (Cant connect - yes another)

Well I’m glad I’m not alone I guess… add me to the list of Netflix suddenly not working from about 2 weeks ago onwards. I’m in the UK, have tried using the Unblock-Us DNS, and going back to auto-DNS. I get either error 200 or 201.

Netflix was one of the main reasons I bought this (in fact, the only reason to be honest), so this really isn’t good.

volemangler wrote:
I unboxed my WD TV Live this morning. It auto updated the firmware sraight away, before I had chance to try Netflix. When I tried it after the update I got the 502 error. I was unaware of this issue at the time and phoned Netflix support. After being put on hold for 15 minutes or so I was told it was not a known issue but was almost certainly down to WD. Hard to beleive they’re unaware of it really…> * * *

Just a few posts up from yours.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Netflix-in-the-UK-Cant-connect-yes-another/m-p/374795/highlight/true#M6871

Yes, I saw that post and I hope that WD are indeed working on the problem.  My post concerned the apparent lack of visibility which Netflix have of the error 502 issue. 

volemangler wrote:

Yes, I saw that post and I hope that WD are indeed working on the problem.  My post concerned the apparent lack of visibility which Netflix have of the error 502 issue. 

I understand now. I agree with you, after all its a Netflix service and somebody there must know what error 502 means plus hopefully WD are discussing it with them.

The solution of changing the DNS to the Netflix DNS worked until yesterday the 31st March, 2012.

Then it stopped working!.

I no longer have the Netflix service using the DNS number supplied by technical support at Western Digital and when I use the automatic setup I am back to the “502 error”. 

Will there be a solution to this ? 

After a month’s free use of the Netflix service we had got used to it and enjoyed it.  As of this morning I am paying for the service and no longer have it !

A proper full system reset (in the Settings menu) brought back Netflix UK for me. I haven’t tried the Unblock-Us DNS to get US Netflix back (which is what I want), but at least it’s something for now…

A full factory reset on mine looked good for a little while then went to a menu that said it could not connect and offered the option of trying again.  Trying again led to the all to familiar now “error 502” dialogue.

:frowning:

Lost access to Netflix on the 31.3.12,  changed DNS with no joy & also did a system reset with no luck.

I’ve e-mailed WD support and asked for advice, I have to say I think the whole situation is pretty poor.

Same here. Had managed to get the netflix running on the replacement wd tv, up until the weekend that is. Now it won’t connect to netflix at all, won’t sign in. Doesnt matter which dns I use, or whether I try to access the uk or us netflix sites. Looks like this replacement is being returned to amazon, as is the wd tv live I bought my folks which has also given up accessing netflix(the uk version) on the weekend. 

What the **bleep** WD? Poor support, poor communications and broken software/device which aren’t fit for purpose. I came from using the boxee which I had thought was a shambles, but WD is making them look good so far…

WD support eventually advised me to roll back the firmware to 1.05 then go up to 1.06. This was today…2nd April. A full factory reset and alternate DNS servers were also mentioned. I’ve tried it all in various permutations. Nothing works. Error 502 remains. I think I will soon be seeking a refund as the unit is quite obviously not fit for the purpose sold.

I actually ordered this off Amazon, but having seen the further comments over the past few days I’ve cancelled for the moment. It still seems likely this will be fixed, but the response of WD has me considering alternatives.

Ix

I have just got my WD TV box, installed it and found that there are issues with NETFIX for a long while. Why have WD not fixed this? I find it disgusting that this is happening and no warning is given. How many people would of bought this box in the past month if they had known about the problem.

Can WD please give an update on this situation

I received a phone call last night from wd tech support. He asked for my isp provider/serial number, and what steps i had taken to try and resolve the netflix issue. I informed him that i had trieda few different dns, that it made no difference, and that I received the 502 error code whether i tried to access the uk or us netflix site. The techy then said that someone would be in touch. he informed me that the ‘engineers’ were working on a solution but he had no time frame…
He did seem genuinely bemused when i told him my dads wdtv live accessed netflix(uk and us) just fine.

Anyhow, i took delivery of a roku 2 xs this afternoon, and whilst it requires some extra setting up regarding the playback of local content via plex media server, it seems fairly slick and straightforward to use so far… only bad thing is that plex requires the pc to be powered up, but netflix(uk) seems easier to use, as does the rf remote…

Still deciding whether to hang on to the wd tv live or return it…

For a second  today I thought WD might have cracked the problem.

Switched the unit on & was informed the system would carry out a firmware udate (new version is 1.07.18)

Waited with fingers crossed & once updated I tried to connect to NETFLIX.  Guess what despite several attempts nothing more than the now familiar “error 502”

I’ve invested too much time now in what should be simple matter.

Ive now returned my wd tv live to amazon, and will also be returning my dads wd tv live. so thats two sales gone to roku instead.
Good luck to you guys still waiting(sincerely).

stoney1973 wrote:
Ive now returned my wd tv live to amazon, and will also be returning my dads wd tv live. so thats two sales gone to roku instead.
Good luck to you guys still waiting(sincerely).

• *> Roku seems to be miles ahead of wd in terms of online services and expandability - the smp seems to rely fully on wd to make apps for content providers rather than being a platform that providers can plug into (correct me if I’m wrong).  Wish I’d held out for the roku.  I doubt dabs would accept returns after over a month.

Surely you can return it because its not fulfilling advertised function? i.e. netflix issue? At least make them replace the box…

Guess it’d be worth a try, but I have updated the firmware so in a sense it’s not the same product as what they sold me.

Mayhap, but it was an official update? by which i mean you havent tried to install custom software. The wdtv live is sold as a netflix compatible device, and whilst some are able to connect to netflix, some aren’t, which would mean that the device isn’t fit for purpose.

If you arent using netflix, then i suppose that it wouldnt matter if it worked or not, but if you were wanting to use it for streaming netflix…then i suppose it would matter more.

Just to make it clear, I’m not advising you to return/sell the wd tv live. just merely options. I’m not bitter about the wd tv live. I save that for the boxee lol.

I have no doubt that the roku will also have its quirks, but sofar, after 3 days of use, no random reboots/‘fatal’ errors, and netflix works like a champ. sadly not the us version(it is possible but only if i change the dns on the router-too fiddly)

Heres hoping that wd actually fix the netflix issue.

I have had this unit since early February , i find it unbelievable this issue is still goin on . and all the time i am paying for the Netflix service i cannot use.