Mycloud mirror

Hi, I have a Mycloud mirror with the firmware 2.13.108. I tried to install the 2.42.115, which is the required version to update to the OS5, but it doesn’t work. I get an error when updating manually. What am I missing? Thank you!

@sharphin

What were the steps you followed to update your device? Did you download the update to your computer? I place my update download on my desktop. I then go to the Dashboard and select Manual update and use the file I placed on my desktop to update.

Yes, that’s what I did. I don’t know if my device is generation 1 or 2. If it’s 1, it can’t be upgraded to os5, right? Thanks

Hmmm. I thought the gen1-Gen2 thing only applied to the 1-drive MyCloud (not mirror) models.

So before asking details about “what you did”; just curious on why you are upgrading to OS5 at this point? Surely, it’s not the cloud access (since you did without it for OS/3 this long)

OS5 is really problematic on MyCloud mirror; especially if the larger units with lots of data. The problem is the indexing process associated with the cloud apps. I would strongly advise disabling cloud services ASAP before the indexing locks up the unit for a week. . . .

You might be served better with something newer.

I only use it to store some photos and for time machine backup. My HDDs are 9 years old and still show in good condition. Well, I think I should stay with the ios3 though…

@sharphin
You have a second generation, see the User Manual. Use the link below.

Here are a few links you may want to look at.

Online User Manual OS5
https://products.wdc.com/nas0s5/nasum/en

Have you already looked at this topic?
My Cloud OS 5 Firmware for My Cloud Mirror (Gen 2) - My Cloud OS 3 Personal & Network Attached Storage / My Cloud Mirror - WD Community

I would be surprised if WD provides you much support if you contact them. . .

If you do stay with OS/3 - - > you really don’t want that box on the internet. Too many vulnerabilities. Either place it on a seperate network without internet (which will make it a tad inconvienient) or you need to block all internet access to the box from the router

9 years old? I hope all the data on that drive is properly backed up. . . .

I thought it was 1st gen because the firmware is listed on the gen 1 firmware list. Also, my device is the mirror version.

I can still access everything. It’s 9 years old but not working for 9 years in a roll.

Well, firmware version 2.xx.xxx was second gen, 4.xx.xxx was first gen.
Confusing, yes!