MyCloud EX2 automatic firmware update = permanent Safe Mode

No there is also a way using Android.

There is definitively a fixing way by modifying the way the client is behaving with the Safe mode Web pages.

Hi Martin,

Curious, did you turn off the EX2, wait a while (1 minute), then turn it on, wait for it to stabilize, then attempt the upload using windows 7, firefox with debugging enabled?  

Also, watch the lights… did the top light ever change from red?  DId you notice any difference in using debug mode -vs- normal mode?

Pete

Cybernut1 wrote:

sinlios wrote:

Hola queria saber que has echo concretamente con firefox debugger, yo he ido alli, tengo la mitad inferior con el debugger cargo la web del nas y le cargo el bin pero sigue igual no marca porcentaje.

pd: quitando la visualizacion de imagenes se ve puro html, y cargo el archivo arriba pone 0% despues de darle aplicar sale 500 - internal server error, asi que imagino que hay algun problema de construccion con la web interna que maneja el router si supieramos cual linea esta mal… se solucionaria… creo

------ 

Hello wanted to know what you done specifically with debugger firefox, I’ve been there, I have the bottom half with the debugger over the nas website and will charge the bin but still the same no percentage mark.

pd: removing the image viewing is pure html, and post the file up then 0% after giving applying out 500 - internal server error, so I guess there is problem of building some with internal web handling the router if we knew which line is wrong … it would be solved … I think

Hey buddy - this is the English forum. No need for another language here - please just post your comments in English.

Also, I take it that you are from a non-English-speaking country and perhaps your English isn’t good - but it is hard to understand some of what you are saying. I understood your first paragraph despite some English issues in it…but your 2nd paragraph is incomprehensible. Perhaps you can have a friend who speaks English translate it a bit better for you before you post here? Most people in this thread seem to be happy to help each other given that they all find themselves in the same situation - but if they cannot even understand what you are saying, they might just ignore your post, no matter how much they want to help you.

Hello Cybernut1,

This user Sinlios, is from Spain… and what we just see is that sometimes the language could be a “pain in the …” and some type of conversations don’t make sense at all.

I will try to translate the second paragraph that Sinlios wrote:

“When we open the Debugger window, on the bottom of our browser appear all the structure of we are seeing on the main page of the browser, and also the process that is occurring. On the developer debugger if we choose the image that appear and unselected this option, all the rest is simple HTML running in the back. At this point the file uploaded “frizz” on the 0%, and appear a error message (500-internal server error). So i think if there is any problem of internal construction of the web and the router, and if we could overcome the line that it is wrong… it would be solved… i think”

Regards

Nuno Alves

P.S - From Portugal. :smiley:

1 Like

Ok I am having the same issues. 

I am currently not at home so am remoting in to my desktop to attempt to fix it. 

Using firefox, with debugging, I am actually getting updating percentage (running windows 7 pro) but got a firmware verification error. 

tried again, got a percentage, now the psge keeps disconnecting. 

Dont know whats happening 

Neale1993 wrote:

I am currently not at home so am remoting in to my desktop to attempt to fix it. 

Using firefox, with debugging, I am actually getting updating percentage (running windows 7 pro) but got a firmware verification error. 

this is what happened to me. This left me  with drives solid blue and power flashing blue all the time and and no web access to unit.

paullee1974 wrote:

Neale1993 wrote:

this is what happened to me. This left me  with drives solid blue and power flashing blue all the time and and no web access to unit.

Have you tried completely powering down and re booting the unit? This will be my next attempt, but as said im doing everything remotely so is not possible for me at the moment…

I noticed that after applying the patch, the hostname of the EX2 changed.  It didn’t make any difference to me because I was referencing it by the ip address, which was statically assigned by my router.

Just a suggestion, If, after applying the fix and seeing the percentage, you get a blue light but cannot access the unit.

you might want to make sure that you are using the correct hostname & ip address.

Pete

Ok, 

Power cycled my device, and got to a stage where i can get into the web interface again. 

Now, through firefox, with or without debug, i can upload and get a percentage counter on the progress every time, however at 100%, i recieve the messagfe " Verify Firmware Fail"

Hi I have the same problem, gave error when verifying the firm and now this light blue flashing EX2 and can not go or “SAFE MODE”.

I’ve unplugged and the problem is the same.

WHat I can do?

Neale1993 wrote:

Now, through firefox, with or without debug, i can upload and get a percentage counter on the progress every time, however at 100%, i recieve the messagfe " Verify Firmware Fail"

I have seen this error on one occassion before and realized my upgrade file had been corrupted. Once I re-downloaded the upgrade file, it worked fine on my next attempt to upgrade. If you see this - please download a fresh copy of the update file and try again. It might do the trick (or might not).

Neale1993 wrote:

paullee1974 wrote:

Neale1993 wrote:

Have you tried completely powering down and re booting the unit? This will be my next attempt, but as said im doing everything remotely so is not possible for me at the moment…

powered down many times left unpluged over night still no joy :frowning:

pmckay wrote:

I noticed that after applying the patch, the hostname of the EX2 changed.  It didn’t make any difference to me because I was referencing it by the ip address, which was statically assigned by my router.

Just a suggestion, If, after applying the fix and seeing the percentage, you get a blue light but cannot access the unit.

you might want to make sure that you are using the correct hostname & ip address.

Pete

looking through network devices and i am unable to see drive on network http://wdmycloudEX2.local  network not found. i have run the setup software and it is unable to find device.

Hi Pete,
I tried do exact this, but nothing happened, still flashing red light and bellow this blue/red flashing lights (for HDDs). I did not noticed any difference between normal/debug mode.

I tried android way too, but it did not works for me, I was still unable to upload firmware. But I did not use Chrome beta, because it did not worked on my tablet (which in fact is not mine, I borrowed it).

Only thing which changed my situation is when I used web browser on tablet and tried upload firmware “file way”, not “normal android way”. Upper light changed from flashing led to stable blue. But in fact this did not change my situation, because the same message appears when I am trying reach EX2 using web browser and I am still unable upload firmware. When I restart device I am on the beginning again with flashing red and flashing red/blue lights.

Martin

Ok, 

I attempted to do a system restore, as i cannot log into the device, by holding the reset button for 40 seconds. I still cannot and now have a flashing blue light? 

Anyone know what this is? 

1 Like

solution:
Windows 8.1
portable firefox 1.0.8 en_us

disconnecting current NAS

Download firmware file My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin

Portable firefox Run as administrator
Enter the ip of your nas
load the firmware
the percentage must have to visualize that to be increasing from 0% to 100%
wait about 10 minutes
orange and blue lights flash.
enter the IP of the NAS.
Done.
If it detects that it was wrong firmware to download it again and repeat all steps.
to me it has worked perfectly.
I think the problem was a bad programming and HTML browsers and java **bleep**, I’m pretty sure if I had uninstalled jre-7u67-windows-i586 and have an old version 5.xx or 6.xx would have worked, but I did not want to lose more hours.

PS: sorry Post in Spanish, also translate with google traslator and will stick :frowning: certainly break the rules but that the forums in Spanish there is NOTHING about this problem.

Solucion:
Windows 8.1
firefox portable 1.0.8 en_us

desconectar NAS de la corriente

descargar archivo firmware My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin

Ejecutar firefox portable como administrador
Introducir la ip de tu nas
cargar el firmware
el porcentaje se tiene que visualizar tiene que ir en aumento de 0% a 100%
esperar unos 10 minutos
luces naranjas y azules parpadearan.
introducir la ip del NAS.
Listo.
En el caso de que detecte que firmware era erroneo volver a descargarlo y repetir todos los pasos.
a mi me ha funcionado perfectamente.
Pienso que el problema esta en una mala programacion HTML y los navegadores actuales y el maldito java, estoy casi seguro que si hubiera desintalado jre-7u67-windows-i586 y hubiera instalado una version antigua 5.xx o 6.xx hubiera funcionado, pero no queria perder mas horas.

PD: Publico en castellano lo siento, tambien traducire con google traslator y pegare :frowning: seguro que incumplo las normas pero es que los foros en castellano no hay NADA sobre este problema.

3 Likes

Neale1993 I have this problem too…

Anyone’s RMA ship yet?, mine is still pending but I did get an invite to fill out a Customer Satisfaction Survey, um yeah.

Mine was supposed to ship on friday…

UPS reported it was not on the way,

so I called to check,

as of 11am EST, The RMA system is down… , nothing was shipping. 

I did get the survey…

Hi Pete,

I have a question to you. I have the same problem like all the others on this page. I tried all the solutions to this problem but i couldn’t solve it. Your solution sounds like the most reasonable. I have no idea what i have to do with the Debugging on Firefox. I selected it and kind of a console showed up. I tried to upload it as usual with the console open but it didn’t work. What settings do you have in you debugging (firefox mac)? I’m not really the technical guy so i hope you can explain it to me.

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Cristo

Hi Cristo,

Disclaimer - I can only tell you what I did, what worked for me.  Your results may vary.  Contact WD support if it doesn’t work.  It’s not my fault.

ok, having said that,

It was sufficient for me to enable debugging, but not actually do anything in the console that opened.  Just do what you would normally do, namely:

1. power off the NAS - make sure it is not “doing anything” when you do this.
  2. wait a minute
  3. turn it on, wait for the lights to settle down (probably red and 2 blinking red/blue drive lights)
  4. open the browser 
  5. turn on debugging (tools/developer/debugger) - you’ll see a console below the normal browser window.  Ignore this, but don’t close it.
  6. verify that you know the location of your EX2 (ping xxxxx where xxxx is either the hostname or ip address of the EX2.  if you don’t know it, try “wdmycloudex2”)
  7. enter the url of your EX2 (example: http://xxxx) in your browser window
  8. you will see the safe mode screen, which prompts you to upload the .bin file containing the firmware. upload the file.
  9. when I did this, I saw a “spinner”.  When it worked, the spinner had a percentage in the middle, that counted up to 100.  When it failed, I did not see a spinner.  I don’t think the percentage actually means it failed, but for me it showed that it worked differently than before… and better
  10. The top light on the front of the EX2 went from red to yellow (it never did that before), then red.
  11. When it completed, I got a verify firmware failure message, so I went back to step 7 and repeated the process.
  12. This time, the top light went blue and the other 2 lights started flickering.  Blue means you are done… I think.
  13. the flickering was caused by the EX2 scanning the drive for pictures and music, which could take a while
  14. going back to the browser, I went back to http://xxxx and saw the usual dashboard - this took several minutes after step 12.

to be clear, I did not hit any reset buttons or enter any debugging commands in firefox.  In fact, the only reason I entered the debugger was to see if there was any traffic going on between the EX2 and firefox and was shocked when it worked.

Cristo, does this help?

Pete

3 Likes

Hello Pete,

finally, it worked for me! I tried it yesterday, but it never worked. I am not sure what I was doing wrong, but I thing I used old firmware file (My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.04.bin instead of My_Cloud_KC2A_1.04.05.bin). Today I tried use this one and everything went smooth as you described.

Thank you again!

Martin