My book world edition slow

Hi .

I have a my boo II world edition , gigabit lan and raid 0.

When i copy something into de “my book” ,   the transfer rate is less than 10 MB/s , too slow .  The WDmyBook recognize the gigabit lan .

When i copy something from PC to PC , the transfer rate is 50 - 60 MB/s .

What is wrong  ?

Do I have to make an extra configuration?

Hi,

According to WD support, MBWE2 ttransfer speed is aprox 4 MB/s although it has a 1000 Mb Lan witch should be able to transfer in a perfect world :slight_smile: aprx 120 MB/s.

Usually i can transfer at ~10MB/s

Hi   undertaker00,

Just wondering if you had any luck getting the speed up? i’m getting < 1MB/s with the drive connected directly to my laptop and its driving me mad.

there seems to be very little suggestions on what to check and fix on the web.

Friends, I’m having the same problem. My MBWE is very slow. The data transfer is <1MB / s. Has anyone got a solution to this problem? I am desperate because the volume of data they want to spend is very large. This way I will be more weeks trying to get something for him. Thanks

I suspect this is far too late to help you now, but just in case someone else is looking at this problem.

If you are copying large files (or a large number of files) to your device, and you’re not using the media server services on it (I just use it as a network disk, not a server/streamer/whatever), then I’ve found that the device is significantly faster using FTP than copying files using desktop Finder/Windows Explorer etc.

According to my FTP software I’m getting around 18-20 MB/s now - it’s copying about a gig and a half every minute or so from what I can see. Previously I would copy around 40Gb of files across using Finder and it would take 4-5 hours.

anyway it is too slow

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-reviews/30860-new-to-the-charts-wd-my-book-world-edition-ii-white-bar

1 Like

Hi Robsoft,

I have MBWE White Light and I have the same problem, copying data takes hours.  Could you please explain how to set up FTP to copy data to the HD.

Thanks.

Ok, I’ll try (I don’t have the device to hand at the moment);

in the web-config for the MBWE I went into ‘Advanced’, then ‘Network’, then made sure that FTP was enabled. I think I would have set up a user (username & password, access rights to all folders) rather than allowing anonymous connections.

My MBWE has a fixed IP address but even if you are using DHCP I think you can get the device’s IP address from the ‘Network’, ‘LAN’ menu option.

I use Transmit on the Mac, but any FTP client will do the job on any platform. When I’m using Windows I can get by using the built-in command line program (will briefly post details below).

Simply enter the MBWE’s IP address into the ‘host’ section of your FTP client, enter your username and password, and make sure the transfer mode (if an available option) is set to ‘binary’ or ‘automatic’ (binary probably best).

You can then transfer files to and from the MBWE and in my experience this is considerably faster than transfer via the Samba/Bonjour/whatever file sharing over the network. (Not sure why, but it certainly seems to be!)

It’s a bit beyond the scope of this to explain using an FTP client to you but if that’s what you need help with, let me know what platform you’re on and I’ll try. :slight_smile:

If you’re running Windows, then start a command prompt and type

FTP 192.168.1.199 (return) [replace 192.168.1.199 with the current IP address of your MBWE]

enter your username and password when prompted

now type

BIN (return) [this sets the transfers into binary mode]

now you can change directory on the FTP server using CD, send files to the server using PUT and copy files down from the server using GET

eg PUT myfile.zip to put the local file ‘myfile.zip’ into the current directory on the FTP server

use DIR (return) to list the files in the current directory on the FTP server

use BYE (return) to exit the FTP server and return to the normal Windows command prompt.

Unless you will be using this on a very occasional basis, I’d recommend getting hold of a graphical FTP client to make this easier - you can find free ones for Windows, Mac and (naturally) Ubuntu, etc. I can personally recommend both Fetch and Transmit on the Mac (though they’re both paid-for solutions).

You can go back into the MBWE configuration and disable the FTP service when you’re not using, if you are worried about security. My MBWE isn’t connected to the internet and lives behind my firewall, so I leave the FTP service running all of the time.

Good luck, and if you need more help please let me know what platform you’re using and (to make the examples easier) what local IP address your device has.

1 Like