My book live never sleeps

Same problem. Had asked tech support whether it could be hackers accessing my drive. Is there a firewall such as in Windows, since this is outside of windows and directly connected to Internet? I have had no response from tech support all week.
Drive will be read/writing sometimes 24hrs or more after I had used it in any way.

All front end setting I changed. See http://YOUR.IP:9000  to get to the twonky server, all I have done is changed the value on database refresh from -1 to 1550, I also mapped the folders correctly, instead of the folder being /public I gave it another level ie /public/music but not sure if that makes any difference. I also disabled the twonky log as it overfills and is rubbish! But overwise itunes still enabled, and remote access. The only thing I notice is that IOS seems to wake the drive up when I connects to the wireless LAN. Please let us know if it works for you?

Thanks mybookW2

I did work,Thanks, but at the beginning it was not working because the twonky media server logging was enable, it took me a while to found that the logging write to the Disk (/CacheVolume/twonkymedia/twonkymedia-log.txt ) not to the /tmp folder (Ramdisk). I disable the logging and finally it goes to sleep.

Hmm. No-one’s perfect. I forgot where Tronky kept it’s log.

A thought
  If someone as LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS AND LOADS (ya get the idea!) OF MEDIA then if there is a lot to cache, might not all fit into RAM so stuff’s (very unscientific) done piecemeal in sections and that’ll frequently “touch” the Winshester drive.

For me, the only way to solve the sleep issue is turnig off remote access! If i turn it off, the drive go to sleep regulary. Any ideas ?

Have you tried this?

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/8526/~/how-to-enable-port-forwarding-on-a-network-router-for-use-with-a-my-book-live

I have this configuration and all enable but FTP, the drive goes to sleep ok now.

I use static IP address.

Configure settings for remote access to your My Book Live.

Remote Access:
Enable

Connection Status: Connected

Port forwarding connection established.

Connection Options:

Manual
Application Description External Port   Internal Port   Protocol   IP Address (My Book Live)
WD 2go Port 1:* 80 TCP 192.168.0.111  
WD 2go Port 2:* 443 TCP 192.168.0.111  
\*Required Configure your router to map your My Book Live IP address to ports.

I’m not especially interested in my MBL sleeping, infact I have disabled the monitorio script which determines if sleep conditions are met. personally I favour silent running over sleeping (steady state). That is an aside. one thing I did find was that twonky contdir settings are always reset by the values in /etc/contentdir. this seems to be unique to the MBL implementation . If you read the documentation for twonky you can set the Contentdir either via changing the .ini files or through the web. However in either case this gets overridden by the value in /etc/contentdir which by default is set to

A|/Public

The /CacheVolume copy of the .ini gets overwritten within ten seconds of twonky starting from /etc/init.d/twonky start (after a reboot)

In my case I have both media and PC incremental backups under that direrctory, so twonky was having to crawl a huge number of non-media files which were contantly changing.

I restricted my /etc/contentdir to

+M|/Public/Shared Music,+V|/Public/Shared Videos,+P|/Public/Shared Pictures

So only these folders and the appropriate file types within them are crawled by twonky. these settings are also retained in the webUI after reboot.

I’m finding that twonky works hard for a while after startup and is the top process in top, but after a few minutes drops from 99% cpu to around 0.3% cpu

While not a cure for the BL insomnia problem, this might help, especially if you have directories beneath /Public (in reality /shares/Public on the MBL filesystem) which do not contain media but are regularly changing i.e a backups from other computers

ravelord wrote:

Hello William,

Mine was preinstalled with F/W 01.xx.xx, after upgrading to 02.02.02-020 I also have standby problems. Although not the entire time, sometimes it sleeps just fine. Other times (mostly during the night) it wakes up every 60 seconds after sleep. I have the feeling something is still running in the bg, when I ssh to the box I see the “ls” command active in top.

Also in /var/log the mediacrawler.log is updated frequently with error messages. Weird thing is that i disabled the mediacrawler
:

MyBookLive:/var/log# tail mediacrawler.log
exec: No such file or directory

Hoping WD finds the solution soon

Have you noticed that mediacrawler.log gets updated with that message

every time you ssh into the box

sshd.log and mediacrawler.log seem to have identical update timestamps, coinciding with when I accessed the server through ssh, this is after I shutdwn mediacrawler using /etc/init.d/orion stop.

Odd eh ?

I am also facing the same problem. 

MyBook Live F/W:L 02.10.09-124 : Core F/W

Twonky Version : 5.1.9

When started intially it was sleeping. But these days barely goes to sleep. Max sleep period is 10 mins and wakes up again. This is happening even when all the devices on my network is off. 

Please advise.

Hi to All with the Sleep/Standby Problem,

I have resolved the problem that was preventing my MBL 3TB from entering Sleep/Standby. See my posting of today (Tues 06 Dec 2011) in the thread “Huge MBL Operating System File - Could It Be Preventing Sleep?”. Hope that the resolution of my problem will be of use to some members of the WD Community.

Regards, WilliamH

I have this problem with both of my drives - a 1TB and 3TB.  My 1TB also suffers the “LED died” issue.  WD is pretty much just shooting themselves in the foot not fixing this.  Will lead to many RMAs on early worn out drives.

Is WD really as good as it gets for low to mid-range network drives these days?  Sure seems flakey.

Hello everyone.

This issue is bugging me for weeks now, so I decided to register on the forums.

Setup:

• Arris Cable DSL Modem
  • FritzBox Router (FRITZ!Box Fon WLAN 7270 v2), Latest FW
  • MBL, 2TB
  • WD TV Live, Latest FW (To TV via HDMI)
  • Phillips 32" TV (Not connected to LAN)
  • A Desktop PC (Often completely disconnected)
  • A Netbook (See Desktop)

Sometimes the MBL simply refuses to stay in sleep mode. Typical scenario:

• I watch a TV show stored on the MBL
  • Ten minutes later the drive goes into standby.
  • Only a few minutes later it wakes up again.
  • It makes those annoying drive spinning noises
  • After at least ten minutes It goes into sleep
  • Minutes later it wakes up
  • Goes into sleep again
  • Wakes up
  • 

What I tried:

• Checked and unchecked the energy saving feature
  • Upgraded to latest firmware. I am regularly checking for updates
  • Disabled/enabled Twonky. No difference. Loggin was never on
  • Rescanned Twonky. Then disabled it
  • Disabled remote access
  • Never enabled iTunes
  • Tried static IP as well as DHCP
  • Deleted the logs. (Maybe it went into “regular standby” once, after I had deleted them? No dubious huge log file there)
  • Disabled Network Time Protocol Feature
  • Detached HDMI cable from WD TV
  • Put a D-Link switch between router and devices
  • Removed users from dashboard
  • Removed some files and folders
  • Unplugged power cables, rebooted, unplugged various lan cables
  • This and that and everything else

I also have the feeling this may be the case:

jives11: "Although not the entire time, sometimes it sleeps just fine. Other times (mostly during the night) it wakes up every 60 seconds after sleep."

Obviously I could permanently remove the LAN cable from the MBL, in which case it would serve as a pretty stylish bookend. But then I would have to buy a second MBL and you know how expensive hard disks have become lately. :wink:

Yours,

panamcake

Is the FrizBox router responsible for the no sleep?

Could be. Unfortunately I don’t have another router to test it with.

Are

a) other FritzBox users experiencing the problem?

b) people with different routers affected by the same issue?

Your FrizBOX also can act as a NAS if you plug in a USB storage device into it. What if it has some other function?  For sure, regardless of what user names and passwords are set on the MyBox Live, everything can read and write to the public folder.  Maybe the FrizBOX searches for resources. conflicts, etc

If you think about it, your router is the only thing that dances with your MyBook Live the most. Literally all the time irrespective of a switch being in-between or not.

You need to do a bit of “process of elimination” and one is, somehow, to eliminate your router from the equation.

The design of the MyBook Live does have it’s faults. Like no switch on the box that initiates a nice controlled shut-down before removing power from it.  (Naming only one.)

Still, having access to the back-end using SSH seems to outweigh the disadvantages and I do keep my MBL plugged in constantly as it acts as my personal cloud if I’m at home or out-and-about.

Myron wrote: “Your FrizBOX also can act as a NAS if you plug in a USB storage device into it. What if it has some other function?  For sure, regardless of what user names and passwords are set on the MyBox Live, everything can read and write to the public folder.  Maybe the FrizBOX searches for resources. conflicts, etc
”

You’re right. But as far as I know, I disabled all the Media Server / NAS features on my FritzBox. A MBL always waking up is one thing, Constantly hearing the Read/Write noises, as mentioned by users before, is another.

And if I “shut down” the MBL via the dashboard, it won’t wake up all by itself anymore. Although, the FritzBox might still (try to) ping the MBL.

I am not willing to boot a computer and “shut down” my MBL every time after having used/accessed it.

Did a pin-hole-reset a few days ago. Since then there are only sporadic wake-ups and the device falls asleep easily. Twonky is off.

Once again, a computer astonished me with it’s mighty self-healing powers.

Ince3 the MBL is shutdown then it won’t wake up. That’s by design.

panamcake wrote:

And if I “shut down” the MBL via the dashboard, it won’t wake up all by itself anymore. Although, the FritzBox might still (try to) ping the MBL.

I am not willing to boot a computer and “shut down” my MBL every time after having used/accessed it.

Myron wrote:

Ince3 the MBL is shutdown then it won’t wake up. That’s by design.

Ah, thank you.

Since my last post the MBL is working quite fine. After approximately ten minutes it goes to sleep and usually wakes up once again. Another ten minutes later it falls asleep and stays asleep.

Happy new year,

PanAmCake