MBLive 2TB Twonky Problems

Definitely interesting.  I’ll take a look at your steps, as I’ve had a feeling since the start of this that somehow my Twonky’s media server is being corrupted.

Thanks, will come back with results!

And… :slight_smile:

We are in business!  Rebuilt/scan started automatically after enabling it from UI, scanned 1443 items in about 2mins, about to check using a device (i.e. PS3, Mac, etc) but I can see http://ip_address:9000 now!

Wow, I KNEW it was a corrupted .db file, I just didn’t know where to start looking for it.  WD should release a patch that allows the user to run a script from the UI that basically disables the UI’s “enable server”, renames/moves those two files and then tells you to start the server once again.

Tony/Nathan:  Thanks for all your support, but please consider this great patron’s knowledge and how-to on fixing my (and most likely several others) problems!

I’ll try and keep the community posted on this thread if the problem persists.

Thanks again!

EDIT:  It works!  XBMC sees the upnp server again, and plays the content! (no transcoding for PS3, but that’s OK, I’ll continue using PS3 MediaServer on my ubuntu desktop for specific formats)

PEACE

That’s wonderful to hear!  Thanks for coming back and marking the correct solution and reporting on your results.  Hopefully this information helps others who run into this problem in the future.

I just today started having the same issues. Frustrating stuff. Ended up

1. Stopping twonky via the UI panel,

2. using ssh to get into the Linux shell, then

3. went into /DataVolume/cache/twonkymedia and deleted everything in that directory.

4. Restart Twonky and *voila!* it’s back.

Craig

This is simply to make everyone here aware: this problem will continuously re-appear, even afer completing the steps.

I simply gave up, not wanting to send in my drive for RMA. I caved and installed anew my ubuntu ps3 media server since it will transcode my mkv files.

WD should be adressing this, but i gave up trying to convince them that they should.

PEACE

Good question. What will Western Digital do about this issue? Unless this needs to be somehow piped to the technical magazines so it’s highlighted that apart from the My Book World Live being quite an awsome piece of hardware, the software mechanisms in place to solve problems are non-existant and or abysmal, with the corporate policy seeming to be to wipe the lot to fix all problems.

Hold a moment…  There are instances of the TwonkyMedia server corrupting it’s database and the issue being fixed…  Wait for it…   WITHOUT PERFORMING A QUICK OR FULL FACTORY RESTORE!!!

The other issue that puzzles me is why has it ended up me having to struggle to fidn thsi problem when Western Digital has far more resources and clout to solve this problem in one go for everyone.

I do acknowledge that the TwonkyMedia server is not written or owned by Western Digital and it might be a licencing issue that prevents Western Digital from solving this problem but iw would not be a major problem for the formware designers to write something in that would keep a periodic backup of the entire TronkyMedia server configuration and if there is corruption to restore the last working configuration and initiate a rescan. By doing that, ratings and other info would be mostly presered and also offer the option to wipe the TwonkyMedia configuration and let it start from scratch WITHOUT having to wipe the entire NAS’s disc clean.

Why can my simple (unfortunatly it does not do what I wish of it) LaCIE NAS can have a factory restore initiates without losing any data but the My Book Live has to be wiped.

BTW…  The upgrade.log file has given me a hint of what to back-up in case of a disaster and also a good point is to enable SSH access and never disable it.

/etc/samba/overall_share
/etc/samba/smb.conf
/etc/samba/smbpasswd
/etc/nas/service_startup/ssh/ssh
/etc/nas/service_startup/mionet/mionet
/etc/nas/service_startup/itunes/itunes
/etc/nas/service_startup/vsftpd/vsftpd
/etc/nas/service_startup/ntpdate/ntpdate
/etc/nas/service_startup/twonky/twonky
/etc/nas/UI_prefs.conf
/etc/alert_email.conf
/etc/trustees.conf
/etc/contentdir
/etc/hostname
/etc/standby.conf
/etc/default/ntpdate
/etc/passwd
/etc/auto_update.conf
/etc/timezone
/etc/hosts
/etc/shadow
/etc/localtime
/etc/remote_access.conf
/etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
/etc/network/interfaces

Point of note. On the Dashboard only a small subset of this lot is backed up.

My head explodes at this lazyness mostly because the type of software I wrote during my previous terms of employment was used by people where were simply not tech savvy and the software was writtin in such a way where there were close to zero technical support requests and any calls could be easily sorted out. Most issues could be automatically solved by the software I wrote as the error checking and valdating routines were quite comprehensive.  That’s why I don’t fully understand why this sort of error checking is missing.

Not picking at any individual or group. Just head is not capable of understanding why common sense has been thrown out with the bathwater.

Here is an idea for WDC to think about.  In the dashboard add an extra option that copies critical configuration files to a safe area.  When the reset button is used then along with passwords being reset, the backed up configuration is copied back.

Anyway…  Rant and rave over…  :smiley:

PEACE!