Intention to finalize a rear USB port issue (drives USB 3.0)

Yorick wrote:

The questions are: is there incompatibility with all USB 3.0 drivers or only with some models?

That’s not the question cause I’ve already answered it in this thread.

alocdk wrote:
From where do you have this knowledge? Others havent seem to be able to get the answers you have gotten.

I have but I wasn’t gonna spread the word since it would only result in repeated requests for the release date which just isn’t forseeable yet.

I’d be happy to wait as using the front USB port is good enough as a temporary workaround. The box will let me know when the next firmware upgrade is available :wink:

Wow, that is a good new…but it´s weird that WD take 1 year to find the solution to this important problem :confounded:

I hope this new is true!

I was very happy with WD live TV 2nd gen and support.

But now with new 3rd gen and this great bug in the rear port…

also not happy about being ignored by official tech supporto about a bug that is really really bed.

Hoping that it will finally be fixed…

I got a firmware upgrade a few days ago. 1.15.10, if memory serves. Is this issue addressed in that upgrade or not? If not, I’ll just keep the USB plugged into the front port for now, and I’ll be happy to wait for the next upgrade :wink:

rozeboosje wrote:

I got a firmware upgrade a few days ago. 1.15.10, if memory serves. Is this issue addressed in that upgrade or not? If not, I’ll just keep the USB plugged into the front port for now, and I’ll be happy to wait for the next upgrade :wink:

Just curious, and I haven’t had a chance to read the full thread, what drive and what file system are you using on the drive?

Hello Bill,

The drive is a fairly new 4TB WD “My Book”. It’s USB3 enabled, but obviously the WDTVLive can only take the USB2 input. I took advice from a WD Support employee to use a USB cable with a micro-usb connector at the drive’s end in order to avoid the USB3 specific connectors altogether, but that made no difference.

The file system on that drive is NTFS; as I have a number of .mkv files that are over 4GB in size, FAT32 isn’t an option.

Cheers

Pino

Yeah, now that I’ve read your posts, I understand.  I just picked up on the part where you said that the drive wasn’t ejecting when you went to safely remove it.  I had that problem with a 32 gig thumb drive, and it was because I reformatted directly from fat32 to ntfs.  Once I put it back to fat32, I didn’t have the problem with it ejecting.  I was going to recommend doing a full remove partition and reformat, but if the drive is working on the front port, then it’s obviously not the drive format.

Don’t waste time on this, Just wait a little bit.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming-Discussions/Intention-to-finalize-a-rear-USB-port-issue-drives-USB-3-0/m-p/553071/highlight/true#M19471

“Just wait a little bit”

Certainly; but of course every time a new Firmware release is out - and one has arrived since that comment was posted - I can’t help but wonder whether that one is the one in which we’re getting that promised fix. That’s why I asked :slight_smile:

Not 1.15.10. Next Release.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Try putting media library off under settings. seems to have solved the problem for me.

Hm… but doesn’t that kind of defeat the purpose? If you switch Media Library off, what sort of access do you still have to your movies and your music?

The important kind: I can still watch them. The file browser is pretty fast when files are sorted properly. From what I’ve read, turning off the library won’t change a thing though.

oldman777 wrote:

I do suspect that there may be a difference in the schematic design between models ending with “01” and “00”(revision “01” and “00”).
That’s why I would like to finally find out: are my assumptions correct or not. Kindly awaiting your assistance. If you could please indicate the model number (regarding the revisions: “00” or “01”) in your responds. I will certainly appreciate it.

I just purchased a WD TV Live from Best Buy on April 26, 2013 (part number ending in -02) and I’m experiencing the exact same problem described in this thread.  I have two identical My Book Essential 3TB USB 3.0 drives.  Both drives powered off 20 min or so after starting an .mkv video. 

In my own troubleshooting efforts (after updating the WD TV Live firmware failed to correct the problem), I first tried multiple video files and then swapped the USB cables.  Next, I updated the firmware on both hard drives.  Finally, thanks to the troubleshooting effors in this thread, I plugged the hard drive into the front USB port and the .mkv files played correctly without losing power to the drives.

It’s a little disheartening that I purchased this unit one year after the start of this thread and the problem with the rear USB port remains.  I’m questioning whether I should keep the unit or return it for a refund.  Either way, thanks oldman777 for the info in this thread, and to everyone else for contributing.

I can only hope that the next firmware update, as promised, does fix the problem. Though by now I have gotten used to seeing the USB cable permanently plugged into the front port, it’s still unsightly.

@bham3dman

I can not guarantee about -02, but I have to -01 for two weeks
works well for a beta version of the new firmware.
The final firmware release is delayed. To wait or not - it’s your choice …

@oldman777

I can not guarantee about -02, but I have to -01 for two weeks
works well for a beta version of the new firmware.
The final firmware release is delayed. To wait or not - it’s your choice …

Cool, great news. Is the next final firmware the solution to this bug or maybe it´s not available in the next one?.

Other details (release date, etc.) do not know anybody.