Hulu and Pandora Missing - Los Angeles US

Good day, we just purchased two NEW WD TV Live units model numbers WDBHG70000NBK-HESN and parts number WDBHG70000BK-12. I live in Rialto, CA 92376 USA. The packaging shows the these units support Netflix, Hulu Plus, Pandora and a host other other services. I’m only interested Netflix, Hulu, Pandora and DLNA support.

When I first turned on the units the system updated to the current firmware 2.xx. I’ve tried adjusting the time zone, and other local settings. I even comfirmed my DNS settings with my internet provider (Time Warner Cable ) Primary DNS Server : 209.18.47.61 and Secondary DNS Server : 209.18.47.62) which should be in the US. How can I get Netflix, Hulu and Pandora on these units?

Things I’ve tried: Hard Reset with ethernet unplugged and plugged, Soft Reset, Downgraded Firmware, Adjusted time zones and daylight savings, Manually entered IP, DNS and Gateway information, Setup on WiFi, Confirmed DNS IP’s are in the US (Los Angeles) and Adjusted time on local Router (D-Link DIR-655).

I only have 4 more days to return back to Amazon for credit. Thanks for helping!

I’ve tried downgrading three times with the same results on both units. (F/W 1.16.13, 1.15.10 and 1.14.09)

Status: Firmware version 1.14.09 and still no Hulu or Pandora. Please advise as to next step.

Okay, I figured this out and this what I did.

1. Updated firmware to current 2.xx.xx

2. Connected device directly to Internet Providers Modem/Router (bypassing local router)

3. Restarted both Modem and WD TV Live

4. Auto configured Network settings (confirmed using Internet provider IP and DNS)

5. Used the Reset Location on WD TV Live Device (Confirmed USA location)

6. Opened Services and ALL options (Netflix, Hulu, Pandora, etc) showing.

7. Connected device back to local router, restarted Modem and auto configured WD Live Networking

8. Back in business on both units with the latest firmware!

Seems the issue may have been my local router not allowing the Reset Location on WD TV Live Device to get its location. I would get a message saying that the device could not find location.

If this helps you, please share and let me know how it turned out for you.

1 Like

Thank you for sharing what worked for you. Hopefully this will assist future board members.

Regards,

Same thing here - do they really expect to sell a device that doesn’t work with a router? I’m predictng these will all be dicontinued shortly due to 99 out of 100 sold being returned :frowning: .

RoadRanger, did my post on the work-around help? If so, It’s possible that some rounters like Linksys, Netgear, D-Link etc, have problems getting the incorrect DNS information to the WD device from your ISP, so the error message just tells you it could not confirm your location.  I dont think this is a WD problem, however more of a network issue when having more than one router on the network (ISP Router+Local Router).

If this did not help, please post details so we can help get your device running. I’m very happy and now have 4 units.

Yes, I did get it working just by direct wiring it to my modem, rebooting the WD and doing a “reset location”. It now works fine behind my router. My router is running DD-WRT without anything weird enabled. Has anyone had the “reset location” work when behind a home-style NAT router? Obvously the typical purchaser won’t be able to get it to work if it can’t “locate” itself behind most NAT routers :frowning: .