HUGE bug in 1.06.15

I’m sorry that you got your feathers ruffled.  Normally, when posts get off track - the ruffled feather interaction - we pull them because they are not relevant to the thread.  That’s going to start happening more, I think.  Obviously the other moderators missed it.  You might consider keeping to the topic, so the rest of us don’t get lost in the future.  Just so you know, I have already escalated your issue. 

1 Like

Bill_S  Thank you for your understanding it is very refreshing to know that someone cares.

In the past few weeks I’ve lost 20+ video files and I’m using WDTV plus ver 1.06.15 and the WD My Book Live 3TB with the Ethernet port. I don’t see anyway to eject this drive when I press eject nothing happens so I been using the WD utility to shut down the harddrive after use then switching off the WDlive.

I’ve had the WD My Book Live 3TB since Jan 2012 and this is the first problems I’ve experienced.

Question Is what I’m supposed to do?

Should I downgrade as suggested?

It’s wired this is just now happing.

Now that I’ve found this post I’m not switching anything off until I know what to do.

I read in this thread some replays that are not correct and could generate false fears.

When you remove a removable unit from a PC or, in this case, from WDTV you risk to lose information that has to be written on the unit but has not yet .

The system will encounter some trouble when trying to use that missing or truncated infomation.

BUT. 

No missing or corrupted information could bring the system to delete a data file that it is not creating or updating!

You could get the whole system malfunctioning at worst but there is no reason to have a data file (video, audio, picture) lost!

No PC could be used in the world if this where true! I

OK, We must not  shut down the system  unplugging it or remove a disk without first safely remove it

BUT, most importantly, we must not use WDTV Live with  the last  firmware! That software is murderous and not only because it  deletes videos!

Ok so no going back to the old version.

How do I remove the 3TB Ethernet drive from the WDTV safely?

Presently I’m using the provided WD SmartWare software to shut down the 3TB and unplugging it and plugging it back in to start it back up again as it has no on-off switch. After the 3TB is off I then use the remote for the WDTV to switch it off.

Any ideas why my 25 video files, 30+ music files and 20 picture files are now showing zero bytes? What do I do to limit this?

Luckily I had backups and have restored them and I’ve been trying to figure out what I’m doing different now that might be causing this.

I think what he is saying isn’t that he’s just unplugging or cutting the power but he is POWERING DOWN the device using the big red “On/Off” button THEN turning off the power strip. 

If you power down the device FIRST and then cut power to it, how is that going to screw up the files? 

Are you telling me that you should “Eject” the USB Devices before you turn off the player every time you want to shut it off for the night? 

ShojoBakunyu wrote:

Are you telling me that you should “Eject” the USB Devices before you turn off the player every time you want to shut it off for the night? 

Yes.  Depending on which version of the WD you have, just hitting the big red button puts it in standby.  It doesn’t do anything to the filesystem.

Doing an EJECT ensures all open files are closed, etc. etc. before you yank the power out from underneath it.

Regarding deleted files and unremovable folders. I experiences the same issues like most of you. What I found is as follows:

1. After I found that some some went missing I connected my HDD to Windows and ran chkdsk. It fixed some errors.

2. Some video/audio files became folders! What was a file ‘movie.avi’ became a folder ‘movie.avi’.

3. I could not delete the new folder ‘movie.avi’ though I could rename it.

4. I also found that not only files that I watched were converted to folders but also files that I did not watch. I had thousands of files converted to folders.

5. I connected the HDD to a PC with Ubuntu.

6. In Ubuntu all ‘converted’ files-folders looked as files (not as folders like in Windows), and I could play/watch them.

7. So in Ubuntu I copied all my movies from one folder to another and deleted old content.

8. Now in Windows and WDTV I can see all ‘deleted/converted’ files again. Luckily I did not lose any file.

I will definitely downgrade to the previous version of firmware.