HUGE bug in 1.06.15

I’m already looking into this.  Will let you know what I find out as soon as I can.

This has probably already been mentioned by somebody else earlier, but I’m guessing at least part of the issue lies in the shutdown routines that execute when a user presses the power off button on the remote.

These shutdown routines should include calls to the appropriate eject routines for attached USB drives etc.

Before upgrading to this version of the firmware, I would watch a movie, press the power off button on the remote, pull out the USB drive, plug it into my computer, put new movies etc on it, plug it back into the WD media player without a problem; over and over again.

But now, yeah, if I turn the power to the WD media player off using the power off on the remote and then pull the drive out and plug it into my PC, I get a message putting up that the drive is corrupted and needs fixing.

So I think the shutdown routines are where the problem lies.

Any chance you could get the Test Manager hired by Western Digital in a room for us to “talk” to?

Scott.

hello.  this critical bug has already deleted many GiBs of my data, and i was ready to return the WD TV Live to the store until i read through this entire thread…the solution: stop using windows operating/filing systems!  i switched to ubuntu linux and mount the drive’s newly foramtted ext3 file system in /etc/fstab and have no more trouble.

fstab entry looks like so:

//192.168.1.64/seagate /media/seagate cifs noperm,username=WDTVLive,password=*********,uid=1000,gid=1000 0 0

Yeah, right. The solution is for WD to fix this bug that pointlessly messes up file systems. Luckily all I’ve encountered so far was undeletable folders when attached to a PC, no files missing so far.

no kidding

seems to be this would be a priority

its not like this was just reported…

a media player that corrupts your files > not much use!!

i normally play my files via the network but once in a while i travel with the wdlive and a usb drive

it will erase any mkv files i have by reducing them to 0 file size

i allways eject the drives etc etc

doesn’t make a different - the usb ntfs driver / controller is messed up on the newer firmwares

it worked find for me on previous ones

**bleep** now I’m scared of my new update. Time to figure out how to roll back to 1.05

And why not extract safely the USB device by pressing eject button before shutting down?

My WD TV Live used to work perfectly prior to firmware 1.06.15.  I would like to revert backward but do not know how. tried but the device does not recognize the old firmware. (WD should incorporate that in the new release - the ability to go back if the firmaware is faulty) If someone knows how to revert back the firmware please let me know Thanks

Now  the remote becomes inoperable and I have to shut the old system down …to have it happen again. This is not acceptable!  WD you should address this issue promptly due to the fact people have paid great deal of money in your hardware since its all proprietary  (WD TV Live & in my case two WD external drives)

I feel that WD should pay us the quality control team . Because theirs is not doing the job. 

Vcar33 wrote:

My WD TV Live used to work perfectly …If someone knows how to revert back the firmware please let me know Thanks

Download the rollback firmware from here:

Firmware Rollback

Follow the directions in the above link and make sure that you download the correct version (Live vs Live Plus).

1 Like

Scandy I thank you very much …for the link!  (I had found it but was not sure it was the right one). 

I guess one step back for mankind lol.

I wish WD would really test their new firmware software prior releasing it . Because now  I am really skiddish from upgrading to new firmware.  It s sad because I love WD TV Live and  it  will drive people away from the product if not careful. 

Scandy I tried the roll back from the link and did not work.  I downloaded  and  copied it to a USB flashstick. Plug it in and started the system. Just  went on to the typical menu and did not even acknoledge the firmware.

I did the following steps as told by the WD site

Download the latest firmware update compressed file for your WD TV Live HD media player.
Extract the three files (.BIN, .VER, and .FFF files) to the root (top level) of a portable USB drive.

Connect the USB drive to the WD TV Live Media Player’s USB port.

Press HOME, and then select the Settings bar.

Select the firmware upgrade icon, and then press ENTER.

You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade. (did not show any prompts to install the new firmware)

Thank you in advance

Hi  all:  I did a bit  of research on the we and this is what  I found on how to roll back the WD TV Live firmware:

How to revert (downgrade) to an earlier firmware version

• th anks to the author!

Warning: Western Digital does not officially support firmware downgrading. Use this method at your own risk!

Many users have used the following method for downgrading from a more recent release (e.g. 1.02.00 or an unofficial firmware), to an earlier release (1.00.01, 1.01.02 etc). Basically, it is the same process as the firmware upgrade, except for modifying the wdtv.ver file to trick the WD TV to recognize the older firmware as being new:

* Download the older firmware to your computer

* Uncompress the firmware ZIP file to the root folder of a memory stick or hard disk: there are 2 files wdtv.ver and wdtv.bin

* Open file “wdtv.ver”   This can be done in word pad, Notepad or any other text editor. 

I went back to firmware version 1.05.04 from  the crappy 1.06.15

Change VERSION=‘1.xx.xx’ to VERSION=‘1.xx.xx +1’ (or any number higher than the current version installed)

*  As an example I wrote  In  1.07.04 

Note : At this point It is highly recommended that a hard reset be performed…

(using the small button on the side where the USB connection is a paperclip works fine)

* Perform the normal firmware upgrade procedure

Plug the USB memory or disk into the WD TV, which will recognize a new firmware (because 1.07.00 is higher than e.g. 1.06.15)
You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade.

* When done, the WDTV (system menu “About”) will report the correct firmware version, not the “fake” version in “wdtv.ver”

Note #1 : The procedure remains the same for any firmware flash (not necessarily a downgrade), where the firmware is not recognized as new because of the version number in the WDTV.VER file.

Note : At this point It is highly recommended that the last  hard reset be performed…

(using the small button on the side where the USB connection is a paperclip works fine)

Finally  I just finished reverting back …now I can watch movies again. Hopefully this will help.

Vcar33 wrote:

Hi  all:  I did a bit  of research on the we and this is what  I found on how to roll back the WD TV Live firmware:

How to revert (downgrade) to an earlier firmware version

• th anks to the author!

Warning: Western Digital does not officially support firmware downgrading. Use this method at your own risk!

Many users have used the following method for downgrading from a more recent release (e.g. 1.02.00 or an unofficial firmware), to an earlier release (1.00.01, 1.01.02 etc). Basically, it is the same process as the firmware upgrade, except for modifying the wdtv.ver file to trick the WD TV to recognize the older firmware as being new:

* Download the older firmware to your computer

* Uncompress the firmware ZIP file to the root folder of a memory stick or hard disk: there are 2 files wdtv.ver and wdtv.bin

* Open file “wdtv.ver”   This can be done in word pad, Notepad or any other text editor. 

I went back to firmware version 1.05.04 from  the crappy 1.06.15

Change VERSION=‘1.xx.xx’ to VERSION=‘1.xx.xx +1’ (or any number higher than the current version installed)

*  As an example I wrote  In  1.07.04 

Note : At this point It is highly recommended that a hard reset be performed…

* Perform the normal firmware upgrade procedure

Plug the USB memory or disk into the WD TV, which will recognize a new firmware (because 1.07.00 is higher than e.g. 1.06.15)
You are prompted to perform the firmware upgrade.

* When done, the WDTV (system menu “About”) will report the correct firmware version, not the “fake” version in “wdtv.ver”

Note #1 : The procedure remains the same for any firmware flash (not necessarily a downgrade), where the firmware is not recognized as new because of the version number in the WDTV.VER file.

Note : At this point It is highly recommended that the last  hard reset be performed…

Finally  I just finished reverting back …now I can watch movies again. Hopefully this will help.

You obviously did not get the firmware from the link which Scandy gave you. This is official WD rollback firmware which has already been edited by WD. None of the above is necessary with the WD rollback firmware.

With reference to your rollback to 1.05.04 if you had indeed downloaded the rollback firmware entitled Rollback_wdtvlive_release_1.05.04_V.zip then you would find that the ver file already has the version number of ‘2.05.04_V’ which is greater than any firmware released.

To reiterate the official rollback page is below and there is no reason to edit any files to downgrade.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800

Plus obviously WD do support firmware downgrading, they just do not recommend it.

You obviously did not get the firmware from the link which Scandy gave you. This is official WD rollback firmware which has already been edited by WD. None of the above is necessary with the WD rollback firmware.

With reference to your rollback to 1.05.04 if you had indeed downloaded the rollback firmware entitled Rollback_wdtvlive_release_1.05.04_V.zip then you would find that the ver file already has the version number of ‘2.05.04_V’ which is greater than any firmware released.

To reiterate the official rollback page is below and there is no reason to edit any files to downgrade.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/58​00

Plus obviously WD do support firmware downgrading, they just do not recommend it.

WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop. Netgear modem router with WiFi (G) plus AV powerline adaptors.

Who ever you are......For your Information, I did  followed Scandy gracious help with the link. I downloaded the above and the results were the same it did not recognize the upgrade on my system.  First I tought that there might be a glitch somewhere maybe on the downloaded file or possibly with my system.......Consequently  I started eliminating the possibilities so I followed what I posted  above and now its working the way it was ment to work.  Now  if you ask me  that i did not need to do that  you might be right  but from my experience since you know very little about my system sorry to say but you are wrong. That was the way to go  in my case........give people one more way to roll back their firmware and  get their systems going. Remember there are multiple solutions to get to the same goal. thank you anyway for your concern

Vcar33 wrote:

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/58​00

WDTV Live Streaming; WDTV Live; WD Live Hub; My Book Live. Running Windows XP on a PC / Laptop. Netgear modem router with WiFi (G) plus AV powerline adaptors.

Who ever you are…For your Information, I did  followed Scandy gracious help with the link. I downloaded the above and the results were the same it did not recognize the upgrade on my system.  First I tought that there might be a glitch somewhere maybe on the downloaded file or possibly with my system…Consequently  I started eliminating the possibilities so I followed what I posted  above and now its working the way it was ment to work.  Now  if you ask me  that i did not need to do that  you might be right  but from my experience since you know very little about my system sorry to say but you are wrong. That was the way to go  in my case…give people one more way to roll back their firmware and  get their systems going. Remember there are multiple solutions to get to the same goal. thank you anyway for your concern

I say again that you obviously did not download it from the link as that firmware has already had its version changed to enable a rollback and therefore you would have no reason to edit the file. Your post was already well known and in fact probably was originally posted on this forum and can be confusing for users when there is already official rollback firmware available.

As to knowing about your system, of course I do. You have a WDTV Live and to quote you  ‘I went back to firmware version 1.05.04 from  the crappy 1.06.15’. The rollback firmware for you to do this is Rollback_wdtvlive_release_1.05.04_V.zip, that zip includes a ver file which has the a version of  2.05.04_V which is greater than your installed firmware of 1.06.15 and therefore will be recognized and correctly perform a rollback.

I am sorry RichUK i did not  see your handle in the previous response…

However it is still the same response (did you read it)…

I did do it correctly by downloading from the link posted by Scandy, did not work…Then did it the other way , now my system is back and working perfectly …so there it is.  You have your way and I did it mine.  I give my thanks to Scandy again he was very gracious and he truly wanted help.

[deleted]

Vcar33 wrote:

I am sorry RichUK i did not  see your handle in the previous response…

However it is still the same response (did you read it)…

I did do it correctly by downloading from the link posted by Scandy, did not work…Then did it the other way , now my system is back and working perfectly …so there it is.  You have your way and I did it mine.  I give my thanks to Scandy again he was very gracious and he truly wanted help.

[deleted] 

Is this OK :smileyvery-happy:

hi, Bill.  any word on this bug?  the newest firmware update did not provide a fix, and the thread was just derailed horribly by Vcar33’s completely unrelated problems.

boosegumps wrote:

hi, Bill.  any word on this bug?  the newest firmware update did not provide a fix, and the thread was just derailed horribly by Vcar33’s completely unrelated problems.

I’m completely lost, now, as well.  Can you remind me what the original issue is?

BooseGumps and Bill .

I am sorry if you think that i have derailed the discussion for the HUGE bug in 1.06.15.  The main topics were that files were being deleted and some files were replaced with the a zero value.Now i dont know why you guys are confused since the information is on previous posts.

.In my case the huge bug was that I could not operate my equipment at all ( So I considered this a very large bug )  Furthermore this bug of zero value file can be fixed with the rollback of the Firmware. Therefore in my humble opinion it is part of this thread as an alternative fix to the problem.

I was only trying to help other people who were experiencing my frustration that is all. RichUK got  my feathers ruffled by being obstinate to new ideas with an offensive underlying message .

This is my explanation sorry if  you think that I coused any harm but  I bet that Scandy and I helped a few people.