How to unbrick a totally dead My Cloud?

Hi, miguelkorn87,

I am sorry to hear that.

I have no any PC at home, so I did not test it on a PC.

But it’s working fine utin now. I can see the last partition (ext4) in my Mac, iOS app.

Maybe you can reset all the setting to solve this issue. (Not the factory restore, just reset the setting)

Good luck!

Hi sambrella (and other helpful/frustrated members)

I followed your instructions exactly using the MyCloud 3TB img (extracted from WDMyCloud-030104-139-20131028.zip) and restored the two 2.1GB partitions. The only difference is, I before I did the restore I choose to repartition the whole drive and start fresh to be extra sure. But I made sure it matched the screengrab of your partition table perfectly.

It took a while - I’ve never really used linux :slight_smile: - but I think everything went well (no errors or anything).

So, every thing was a success except now when I plug in the device the light just stays white, according to the manual this means the MyCloud is initialising (starting up). I realise it can take quite a while to first initialise so I left it over night (10 hours) but still it remained white :frowning:

I tried accessing it via IP and using the MyCloud application, but nothing shows up.

I should also mention that I did this restore using a USB connection (I only have a macbook pro availble, so no sata). I’ve seen mixed opinions about this being a problem. Has anyone else successfully restored/unbricked through USB?

Also, when I browse the hard drive in linux (after I did the restore) there is nothing on it? Is this normal?

I still feel that I’ve made some progress because before I followed your instructions the light would just blink yellow.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Hi Maxdemian, for me was easier to delete all partitions and restore them with a virgin image as per cnlinya tutorial instead of recreating them as you are trying.

Thanks for the assistance LinAdmin, appreciate it.

Sorry, you’ll have to bare with me, I’m really new to this linux stuff.

So when I type that into terminal, is this what I type?

mount -t ext3 /dev/sdc /myMountPoint

(given that the MyCloud drive is mounted through USB and in gparted shows under sdc)

Would it be possible for me to just use the GUI file browser/finder/explorer? Would the files (if I have done everything correctly) still show using the GUI? or only in command line/terminal?

I should have also mentioned in my last post that I’m doing all this in a Live Linux environment (via USB thumb drive) as I don’t have access to a ‘standard’ Linux system.

Hi dggomes, thanks for the reply, assistance is appeciated.

I followed cnlinya’s instructions on wiping and partitioning the drive into four partitions using command line/terminal.

I had to use sudo for a few commands as I wasn’t sure how to get into root.

Everything seems to go okay in terminal (no errors are thrown up) however I did notice that as soon as I make the second partition “(parted) mkpart primary 2576M 4624M” that the drive auto mounts (shows up as a USB connected drive in my menu/app bar (sorry, not sure what it’s called in linux?)

Still I continued, and as I said, no errors show in terminal.

When I look at my partition table in gparted it looks a little different than the example cnlinya posted - please see attached (excuse the photo)

I tired this a few times - and had to restart a few times because when I enter “select /dev/sdb” terminal throws up an error telling me the device/drive is in use (sorry should have noted the exact error down, please let me know if posting it will help?) but got the same partition result every time.

Any clues as to why I’m getting a different partition table?

Keeping in mind I’m doing this all:

— With the MyCloud drive mounted through USB port

— On a Macbook Pro (though I doubt that matters)

— I really should have mentioned this in my last post but… I’m doing all this in a Live Linux environment (via USB thumb drive) as I don’t have access to a ‘standard’ Linux installation.

Again, thanks for any time/help.

Hi MaxDemian,

Sorry, I’m not guru on linux so I may not be the best person to help you on this, but this is what I did on mine and worked fine:

(this was all done following cnlinya and other tutorials that are in this forum)

1. Downloaded a virgin image as per Cnlinya’s intructions:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-My-Cloud/Here-is-WD-My-Cloud-2TB-virgin-disk-image/td-p/637769/highlight/true

1. Deleted all partitions using parted:

(/dev/sdb being the path to the WDMycloud disk, check what’s the correct one and replace it there)

root@y-System-Product-Name:/# parted
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) select /dev/sdb 
Using /dev/sdb 
(parted) mklabel gpt
Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sdb will be destroyed and all data on this disk will be lost. Do you
want to continue?
Yes/No? y 
(parted) quit 
Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.
  1. Restored the partitions with the virgin image downloaded:

On terminal:

dd if=/mnt/usb/mybook.img of=/dev/sda bs=1M

/mnt/usb/mybook.img being the image file, check the full path of the file on your external disk and replace it there

/dev/sda being the path to the WDMycloud disk, check what’s the correct one and replace it there

1. After it was done I plugged the hard disk back into the wd mycloud and turned on… white light for some seconds and then blue. As soon it is blue you can access the dashboard and do a Quick Factory Restore + enable SSH.

2. After the restore if your hard-drive is bigger than 2TB you will still need to expand it since you used a 2TB virgin image… to do it you should login via SSH and do the following commands:

Cnlinya’s part:

Please use below script to catch the mount partitions

WDMyCloud:~# cat /etc/mtab

Umount all the partitions related with  /dev/sda4  when you extend the last partition, for example:

/dev/sda4 /nfs/TimeMachineBackup ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0/dev/sda4 /nfs/Public ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0/dev/sda4 /nfs/SmartWare ext4 rw,noatime,nodiratime,user_xattr,barrier=0,data=writeback 0 0WDMyCloud:~# umount /nfs/Public/
WDMyCloud:~# umount /nfs/SmartWare/
WDMyCloud:~# umount /nfs/TimeMachineBackup/

nfodiz’s part:

Just a quick info before the commands that nfodiz posted in other topic… Doing the steps (in the code part) you will delete the ext4 partition and recreate it with a bigger size so I think that it’s worthy checking how they are before that to do this you need to type:

parted

unit s

p

You will see all the current partitions there, with start and end points.

In the code below, during the the “mkpart primary 9031680s -1” command you have to update to your own number’s… It’s the start point of this partition so if you do type (p) after deleting the partition (rm 4) just check the end point of the last partition and you start will be that end point + 1.

/etc/init.d/cron stop
/etc/init.d/monitorio stop
/etc/init.d/twonky stop
/etc/init.d/itunes stop
/etc/init.d/orion stop
umount /CacheVolume
umount /nfs
umount /shares
umount /DataVolume

parted
unit s
p

Error: The backup GPT table is corrupt, but the primary appears OK, so that will
be used.
OK/Cancel?
OK

Warning: Not all of the space available to /dev/sda appears to be used, you can
fix the GPT to use all of the space (an extra 3907008000 blocks) or continue
with the current setting?
Fix/Ignore?
Fix

rm 4
Warning: WARNING: the kernel failed to re-read the partition table on /dev/sda
(Device or resource busy). As a result, it may not reflect all of your changes
until after reboot.

mkpart primary 9031680s -1
Is this still acceptable to you?
Yes
quit
sync
reboot

And then after reboot

/etc/init.d/cron stop
/etc/init.d/monitorio stop
/etc/init.d/twonky stop
/etc/init.d/itunes stop
/etc/init.d/orion stop
umount /CacheVolume
umount /nfs
umount /shares
umount /DataVolume

e2fsck -f /dev/sda4
Select yes to all fix prompts (There will be a ton of them)

resize2fs -p /dev/sda4
This command takes a long time

sync
reboot

After that it’s all done and you plug it back and turn it on.

Hope it works!

One more thing: If after all is fixed you play around more than you should and break it again (as I did)… if you still have SSH you can restore it without having to open it again and messing with partitions… you just need to download the latest firmware, place it on /CacheVolume and execute this script that will restore the firmware.

sh -x /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /CacheVolume/updateFile.deb
reboot

updateFile.deb being the firmware.

1 Like

Dear JRman

I followed your instructions until

dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb1

dd if=./rootfs.img of=/dev/sdb2

After the first “dd ……” ssh stopped working and I couldn’t logon again with ssh to WD MyCloud. The MyCloud is not visible anymore on the Network and a Ping will result in “Destination host unreachable.” Any Ideas how to solve this issue?

Hi, MaxDemian,

Your Cloud is a 3TB HD, you can download the virgin disk image which created by kissu ( http://pan.baidu.com/s/1eQBVbc2)..)

You need to plugin your hard disk into a Ubuntu computer or other Linux OS computer, run the GParted to check which one is your cloud drive, take /dev/sdb as example, and follow below guide:

1.Deleted all partitions using parted:

root@y-System-Product-Name:/# parted
GNU Parted 2.3
Using /dev/sda
Welcome to GNU Parted! Type 'help' to view a list of commands.
(parted) select /dev/sdb 
Using /dev/sdb 
(parted) mklabel gpt
Warning: The existing disk label on /dev/sdb will be destroyed and all data on this disk will be lost. Do you
want to continue?
Yes/No? y 
(parted) quit 
Information: You may need to update /etc/fstab.

2. Restored the partitions with the virgin image downloaded inn terminal:

dd if=/mnt/usb/MyCloud3TB.img of=/dev/sdb bs=1M

/mnt/usb/MyCloud3TB.img is the image file, check the full path of the file on your external disk and replace it

/dev/sdb being the path to the WDMycloud disk, check what’s the correct one and replace it

1. That’s all, a quick factory restore is needed. Engoy!
2 Likes

Hi cnlinya

I followed your instructions and it worked perfectly.

I just want to confirm, for anyone else who in unsure:

— this procedure can be done through running ubuntu live through a usb.

— I had the MyCloud3TB.img file on my desktop so replaced “/mnt/usb/” with the path leading to that file - it was on my desktop because my silly macbook pro only has 2 usb ports :wink:

— The MyCloud drive was connected through usb

Thanks again for your persistant help. Much appreciated

Hi dggomes

Thank you for your very thorough reply. I tried cnlinya’s latest technique first - I went for the shorter one first :wink: and it worked. Saying that, I’m sure your method would have been fine too so thanks for putting the time and effort in. Much appreciated

Hi LinAdmin

As stated before I know pretty much nothing about Linux. I’ll onyl say that after using this method the drive shows correctly in gparted and now boots fine once attached to the MyCloud mini-board.

I mean no offense by it, but I hope you’re wrong when you say that using this technique will leave the drive unstable :S

If all else fails I’m just going to format the drive and hook it up to a Rasberry Pi :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for your time and help

::EDIT::

Seems I spoke a little too soon. After having first logged into the MyCloud web interface I’m informed by the GUI that my drive has only 1.5GB of free space (I have the 3TB model).

And to be clear, I haven’t loaded any files on here yet. Fresh as it comes.

I’ll have another look in ubuntu and see if I can figure this one out myself using dggomes’ very thorough (for dummies) instructions.

Well… Good to have the blue light back at least :wink:

No problem, glad to hear that is working again!

Hi, MaxDemian,

I’m glad to hear that your cloud has came back.

Regarding the 1.5G free space, you need to do a quick factory restory.

Do you know how much time to wait after a factory restore? its running like 3 hours, can’t access the dash but ping replies … its a 3 TB version…

kristos wrote:

Do you know how much time to wait after a factory restore? its running like 3 hours, can’t access the dash but ping replies … its a 3 TB version…

Which option did you used?

If you selected “full restore” it will take MANY HOURS.

In this case the correct option is “quick restore” it will take only a few minutes to complete the process.