Happy to say hard disk is upgrade/downgradeable

I opened up my TV Live Hub and swap the HDD with tremendous success.

It seems the big time posters here on the forums will have you believe it needs to be a 1Tb drive and must be a WD drive. That is completely untrue.

I replace the 1TB WD with a 500GB HGST drive and the TV Live Hub formatted that ■■■■■■ in NTFS format in all 45 seconds. 

BTW, you can also run the Hub without any hard drive at all. Things are a little slow as it seems the streaming services use the HDD for caching.

Just wanted to give my two cents. If anyone is going for the 15mm WD Green 2TB, rock on…it will fit also.

Hitachi is Owned by Western Digital, so it doesent surprise me it worked.

Western Digital Acquired Hitachi Global Storage Technologies … back in March 2011

http://www.wdc.com/en/company/pressroom/releases/?release=ba433e4b-bff8-4d99-b60f-7f02aa42f444

HGST - A Western Digital Company

http://www.hgst.com/internal-drives/mobile/travelstar/travelstar-z7k500

My understanding was MOST drives would work but it depends on what firmware version is being used.

Actually, what has been said is that there are no larger HDD in the form factor necessary to fit the Live Hub. That is starting to change, but of course there are smaller ones that will work. What’s the point of going smaller, though?

what drive is in the hub now? what form factor if different from standard wd computer drives? Would be a nice feature if WD could make the drive easy to upgrade/swap out in a similar fashion to the WD live duo. What is the fail rate of the current installed drive?

The form factor is the same as a laptop HDD, which until recently couldn’t be gotten in sizes larger than 1TB.

Equally_Wrong wrote:

I opened up my TV Live Hub and swap the HDD with tremendous success.

It seems the big time posters here on the forums will have you believe it needs to be a 1Tb drive and must be a WD drive. That is completely untrue.

I replace the 1TB WD with a 500GB HGST drive and the TV Live Hub formatted that ■■■■■■ in NTFS format in all 45 seconds. 

BTW, you can also run the Hub without any hard drive at all. Things are a little slow as it seems the streaming services use the HDD for caching.

Just wanted to give my two cents. If anyone is going for the 15mm WD Green 2TB, rock on…it will fit also.

In defence of the ‘big time posters’ it used to be true when the hub first come out but it appears that recent firmware has perhaps done away with that limitation.

In both of my replies I referred to the limitation in the past tense. I also remember that beyond there not having been laptop-sized HDD larger than 1tb until recently, that there was also some issue with the embedded controller that would not recognize anything other than a specific version of WD HDD. Perhaps that has since changed with newer firmware, I don’t know.

There are FOUR 2.5in form factors…  7mm, 9.5mm, 12.5mm, and 15mm.  The drive in at least the older hubs is 12.5mm.  The newer ones may have the 9.5mm Scorpio.

SMALLER drives may not fit securely without shimming the drive.

But the GREEN drives (the 1.5TB and 2TB) are all 15mm.  They WILL NOT FIT in the rubber isolation grommet/mount in ANY HUB.

Tony, good info. Now what about my perception that there is also a HDD controller issue, or has it always been a size issue?

My own hub came as a refurb without a drive. I put a spare ocz 60gb ssd and disconnected the fan. Quiet as a mouse, no overheating and has been running for 3 months

kiwiuk wrote:
My own hub came as a refurb without a drive. I put a spare ocz 60gb ssd and disconnected the fan. Quiet as a mouse, no overheating and has been running for 3 months

IamTonyC wrote:

kiwiuk wrote:

@ kiwiuk: Do you think its possible for me to disconnect the annoying Fan? I have seen Atom based Netbooks with 160GB Hard Drives that don’t have fans. I would like to know if anyone has disconnected their WDTV Live Hub Fan. I am sure the hard ware itself can easily stand high Temperatures if the WDTV is operated at Room temperature. Has anyone tried this?

The fan Remains ON in standby Mode and it’s annoying as I can clearly hear it when everything is Off in the living room.