[GUIDE] Transmission 2.82

Sorry, I should explain more.  I am getting errors on my torrent downloads - “Unable to save resume file. No space left on device”

FYI, my **bleep** somehow figured it out.  For those of you that need help (and i see other posts similar to mine), download filezilla.  It’s easier to use than putty and allows you to see a tree structure in window format.  this allowed me to find my files/folders i needed to delete.  My new df -h below…

WDMyCloud:~# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs 1.9G 612M 1.2G 34% /
/dev/root 1.9G 612M 1.2G 34% /
tmpfs 23M 572K 22M 3% /run
tmpfs 40M 4.0K 40M 1% /run/lock
tmpfs 10M 0 10M 0% /dev
tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/shm
tmpfs 100M 156K 100M 1% /tmp
/dev/root 1.9G 612M 1.2G 34% /var/log.hdd
ramlog-tmpfs 20M 3.9M 17M 20% /var/log
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /DataVolume
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /CacheVolume
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /shares
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /nfs/Ed
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /nfs/Public
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /nfs/SmartWare
/dev/sda4 1.8T 442G 1.4T 25% /nfs/TimeMachineBackup
WDMyCloud:~#

I don’t suppose we could have a guide to remove transmission by chance? Got it all installed and working nicely thanks to your guide. I don’t see an option to setup this transmission version with a proxy so I am unable to use it.

Any help on steps to remove it would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks!

i am not sure what wrong i am doing. but where are my downloads going ?

here is my .json file and result of -df -h

“alt-speed-down”: 50,
    “alt-speed-enabled”: false,
    “alt-speed-time-begin”: 540,
    “alt-speed-time-day”: 127,
    “alt-speed-time-enabled”: false,
    “alt-speed-time-end”: 1020,
    “alt-speed-up”: 50,
    “bind-address-ipv4”: “0.0.0.0”,
    “bind-address-ipv6”: “::”,
    “blocklist-enabled”: false,
    “blocklist-url”: " http://www.example.com/blocklist",
    “cache-size-mb”: 4,
    “dht-enabled”: true,
    “download-dir”: “\WDMYCLOUD\Public\torrents”,
    “download-limit”: 100,
    “download-limit-enabled”: 0,
    “download-queue-enabled”: true,
    “download-queue-size”: 5,
    “encryption”: 1,
    “idle-seeding-limit”: 30,
    “idle-seeding-limit-enabled”: false,
    “incomplete-dir”: “/root/Downloads”,
    “incomplete-dir-enabled”: false,
    “lpd-enabled”: false,
    “max-peers-global”: 200,
    “message-level”: 2,
    “peer-congestion-algorithm”: “”,
    “peer-id-ttl-hours”: 6,
    “peer-limit-global”: 2000,
    “peer-limit-per-torrent”: 500,
    “peer-port”: 51413,
    “peer-port-random-high”: 65535,
    “peer-port-random-low”: 49152,
    “peer-port-random-on-start”: false,
    “peer-socket-tos”: “default”,
    “pex-enabled”: true,
    “port-forwarding-enabled”: false,
    “preallocation”: 1,
    “prefetch-enabled”: 1,
    “queue-stalled-enabled”: true,
    “queue-stalled-minutes”: 30,
    “ratio-limit”: 2,
    “ratio-limit-enabled”: false,
    “rename-partial-files”: true,
    “rpc-authentication-required”: false,
    “rpc-bind-address”: “0.0.0.0”,
    “rpc-enabled”: true,
    “rpc-password”: “{60ac7086d8bbb336f341f92f3d5470e485f9845cl6nzLEN8”,
    “rpc-port”: 9091,
    “rpc-url”: “/transmission/”,
    “rpc-username”: “transmission”,
    “rpc-whitelist”: “127.0.0.1”,
    “rpc-whitelist-enabled”: false,
    “scrape-paused-torrents-enabled”: true,
    “script-torrent-done-enabled”: false,
    “script-torrent-done-filename”: “”,
    “seed-queue-enabled”: false,
    “seed-queue-size”: 10,
    “speed-limit-down”: 100,
    “speed-limit-down-enabled”: false,
    “speed-limit-up”: 100,
    “speed-limit-up-enabled”: false,
    “start-added-torrents”: true,
    “trash-original-torrent-files”: false,
    “umask”: 18,
    “upload-limit”: 100,
    “upload-limit-enabled”: 0,
    “upload-slots-per-torrent”: 14,
    “utp-enabled”: true
}

Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
rootfs          1.9G  636M  1.2G  35% /
/dev/root       1.9G  636M  1.2G  35% /
tmpfs            23M  468K   23M   3% /run
tmpfs            40M  4.0K   40M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs            10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/shm
tmpfs           100M  156K  100M   1% /tmp
/dev/root       1.9G  636M  1.2G  35% /var/log.hdd
ramlog-tmpfs     20M  2.6M   18M  13% /var/log
/dev/sda4       2.7T  203M  2.7T   1% /DataVolume
/dev/sda4       2.7T  203M  2.7T   1% /CacheVolume
/dev/sda4       2.7T  203M  2.7T   1% /shares
/dev/sda4       2.7T  203M  2.7T   1% /nfs/Public
/dev/sda4       2.7T  203M  2.7T   1% /nfs/SmartWare
/dev/sda4       2.7T  203M  2.7T   1% /nfs/TimeMachineBackup
/dev/sdb1       466G   67G  400G  15% /var/media/FreeAgent_GoFlex
/dev/sdb1       466G   67G  400G  15% /nfs/FreeAgent_GoFlex
/dev/sda4       2.7T  203M  2.7T   1% /nfs/Downloads

Good to see that you got your own built cloud working :wink:

Be careful that you do not store in the root partition, fthis would soon fill up and prevent booting!!

Data and logs must go to sda4!

1 Like

Removal of tranmission should just be apt-get remove with the three packages (MAKE SURE IT DOESN’T UNINSTALL OTHER PACKAGES). If you just want a HTTPS option though, try using a nginx proxy to get https. I followed this guide and easily got it setup in 5 mins:  http://askubuntu.com/questions/199738/how-do-i-get-https-web-interface-in-transmission

Hi !

After a reset i want to install transmission again. I followed your step and type in:

apt-get update

i get:

W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ sid/main armhf Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/ftp.us.debian.org_debian_dists_sid_main_binary-armhf_Packages)
E: Write error - write (28: No space left on device)
E: IO Error saving source cache
E: The package lists or status file could not be parsed or opened.

What am i doing wrong?

Thanks in advance

I got it to work !

I just remove every package on the device and reinstall !

New question:

How do i get Transmission to autodownload a torrent from a specific folder on my network?

I am a pretty serious n00b, and I was getting the Data Volume full error and was able to resolve it, so this is intended for complete idiots like me. 

Brief description of my error: Installed guide as above, and was initially very successful. After about 4 downloads, suddenly started getting the data volume full error (not enough room on device or something like that).  Dug around on a number of forums, and it became clear it had something to do with the download-dir.  So I went back into putty and changed download directory. 

Reconnect using
login: root
Password: welc0me
Stop transmission using OPs original guide.

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon stop

Open the config setting with 

nano /etc/transmission-daemon/settings.json

In putty, there was a green box that was your cursor. Press arrow down until you get to “download-dir” and replace with wherever you want to go on your WD cloud. For me, it looked like this: 
download-dir: “DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission” ,
Control + O (the letter, not number)
enter
Control + X 
Start transmission with this input to putty: 

/etc/init.d/transmission-daemon start

Open up the remote GUI, and connect again. 

The problem has mostly been solved for all future occurrences, but it’s likely that some of your old torrents are using the wrong folder. To check this, look at the "Error(#) tab on the left to bring up the torrents that are screwy.  Click on each one that is in the Error and look at the bottom half of the screen under “Torrent”, and look at the address next to “Name:”  If it’s something like var/blablabla/downloads, it’s still going to the wrong place, and you’ll get the error again.  If it’s in the folder you specified, it should say /DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission/NAMEOFTHINGYOUWERETORRENTING. 
So then just right click on the poor lost torrent, select “Set Data Location…” and once again direct it to /DataVolume/shares/Public/Transmission

To confirm yet again, at the very top click on “View” and make sure that “Folder Grouping” is checked; Look under the Error tab, and you should see a manilla envelope telling you where your **bleep** is going, so should say your “Transmission” folder has all the torrents and not a single one is in the “downloads” folder.  For me, the problem was that after I implemented the fixes via putty and via remote gui, 2 of them were still using the “downloads” folder. 

This has been working for the past 30 mins, though I’m now getting some kind of “Tracker: Connection failed” for a number of them, but I haven’t gotten the disk full error again, so hopefully this repesents a different problem, and not something I screwed up. 

Hope it helps, and thanks to all who provided guidance. 

Hi all,

Is not possible to undo the command to set transmission to run as a ROOT or I just change the word “root” to my username?

sed -i ‘s/USER=debian-transmission/USER=root /g’ /etc/init.d/transmission-daemon

Thanks in advance…

Hi everyone ! 

Thanks for an excelent guide ! i Works just fine !

I wonder if there is some way to make transmission autostart or watch a certain folder and autostart downloads from there?

Thanks in advance

Hi again !

I finally get it to work !

But i got another problem, i am not connectable on any sites, if iam using transmission,  do you guys have the same problem ?

I used this guide and it worked a charm.  Thank you nfodiz.

Thanks for the guide! Everything was working great until my firmware upgraded. I forgot to turn off the auto update. I’m now running v03.04.01-230. I can get the interface but nothing will download and torrents are gone when reboot. Before the update I was able to run transmission under my username. Now I just get a warning when trying to start transmission. I was forced to change the user back to root. Can anyone help me with this. I understand the logic of the commands but don’t really know anything else about debian.

I was able to get it working. I had to delete the linked file created under the “Optional but recommended” step. I wonder why that was causing issues :confounded:

Great post!

It got me started transmission in no time, except that I had to remember setting directory permission on download directory from vague memory from the time I had used unix 20 years ago. I’m a mundane guy who do not know way around command lines anymore.

Adding following on the settings also was helpful. Download .torrent files to the specifyed directory and transmission will fetch .torrent from the directory for starting download.

“watch-dir”: “folder name for uploading .torrent files”,               // set folder name for storing .torrent file

“watch-dir-enabled”: true,      // set directory watch feature for new .torrent files.

“trash-original-torrent-files”: true,    // remove .torrent files after you download

1 Like

Any info about the way we can install Flexget, or a way to auto download rss feed torrents ?

I want to set My Cloud to auto download my tv shows

hi , i´ve done everything and it works but there is no user/password configuration.

how can i solve this problem?

Hey,

I used Port-Forwarding in my router to get acces to Transmission WebUI.

It seems the MyCloud is blocking the port, where can i find the firewall settings?

All the files that are downloaded by transmission are not readable because they can only have read/write permissions as ROOT. The other users can see the files bu not open them.

I changed umask: 18 to umask: 0 but it didn’t solve anything.