Fix it!

I don’t know what the **bleep** you guys have done to the firmware on this thing but every time you release something, a dozen more things stop working!! I fast forward at a paltry 2x on a regular old AVI file, then hit play when I want to resume. It even freezes on the exact frame I want for a few seconds. SO, why does it then resume playback 25 seconds ahead of that?! I try to rewind back to where I wanted it. Again I hit play and it’s right where I want it. Only THIS TIME, not only does another completely inexplicable and poorly coded skip-ahead take place, but now the audio’s gone. This $150 souped-up linux box worked better when I first bought it. (Not to be confused with “good” because it’s always got some kind of problem!!) Your firmware updates have caused complete amnesia of the video settings I give it (an issue that is WELL DOCUMENTED AND REPORTED but NOTHING has been done about!!), has the stability of a dizzied, drunk ■■■■■ when it’s asked to fast forward or rewind, PMSes with its network shares, and all this silly ■■■■ that there is NO WAY you haven’t been aware of for months! But of course we have nice little gimmicks like Facebook to make up for it? Seriously!! What kind of morons have you hired to run tests on them?? I paid good money for this thing, you can at least make your FIXES actually… y’know, FIX STUFF! Sincerely, A very, very disgruntled customer.

1 Like

It’s intresting to see photo of developers that give us such firmwares.

As far as we understand firmware developed by Alpha Networks Inc for WD, but why there is so poor quality control?

It’s really strange looking because of WD reputation.

I just can’t understand, may be in  test labs every employee must wear blindfold and headphones fur.

May be it’s strategy of releases (roadmap another word) so why just don’t explain it to community.

If you are unhappy with the current firmware, simply roll back to the version you want that works for you. Much easier than complaining about it. Myself and many others have no real issues with the current version.

Ofcource it’s a way. But it’s only in last case.

New features is very likely, but it becomes more unstable and more things becomes broken that was ok in previous frmwares.

Well, lets hope that WD people doesn’t think like you do.

Many people have complains about the new firmware and it is the job for WD people to fix it, of course.

If I do a software/firmware upgrade, the simple fact for people do do this is to get better support for the produt they bought.

So please, don’t tell people to downgrade. That is just an excuse for WD not to do their job.

They are WD for christ sake, they should be able to correct these problems.

Cusco wrote:

Well, lets hope that WD people doesn’t think like you do.

Many people have complains about the new firmware and it is the job for WD people to fix it, of course.

If I do a software/firmware upgrade, the simple fact for people do do this is to get better support for the produt they bought.

So please, don’t tell people to downgrade. That is just an excuse for WD not to do their job.

They are WD for christ sake, they should be able to correct these problems.

If these people with problems want to use their units then its obvious that they should downgrade. You can’t advise a user to wait and hope that it will be fixed sometime in the future and meantime just put the WDTV in a drawer. Your stand may be all well and good but it does not help the user get the most out of his / her purchase.

1 Like

No, you’re wrong. Are you from WD? Well, you think like one.

Imagine that my son, that has 12 years old, power the WDTV and get the “New firmware upgrade” message and do the upgrade. And I ask you…why shouldn’t he? It is supposed for firmware upgrades to boost working products, am I right?

So then, who will tell or teach him to do a downgrade? You know that this isn’t not as trivial as you know, right?

They should fix this for my son to be able to upgrade again.

Cusco wrote:

No, you’re wrong. Are you from WD? Well, you think like one.

Imagine that my son, that has 12 years old, power the WDTV and get the “New firmware upgrade” message and do the upgrade. And I ask you…why shouldn’t he? It is supposed for firmware upgrades to boost working products, am I right?

So then, who will tell or teach him to do a downgrade? You know that this isn’t not as trivial as you know, right?

They should fix this for my son to be able to upgrade again.

No I am not from WD. If your son came to this forum then I would advise him how to downgrade. Its not that difficult. I am not saying that WD have got it right but sometimes the only practical advice is to downgrade. We are just a user to user forum where people like you and your son can get some advice to hopefully overcome your problems with the WDTV. If you are prepared to hang around and wait for WD to get their act together then thats up to you however most people just want to use the device.

1 Like

dosborne wrote:

If you are unhappy with the current firmware, simply roll back to the version you want that works for you. Much easier than complaining about it. Myself and many others have no real issues with the current version.

Easier? Really? How about those users who are not technically inclined? That have no idea that this support forum exists? They bought their WD product and plugged it in and have no idea how to go about manually downgrading the firmware. They shouldn’t have to downgrade to regain functionality.

If end users don’t complain about bad firmware updates, ect., things are less likely to get fixed. Just because you are not experiencing issues doesn’t mean others who are shouldn’t express their  displeasure.

The original poster was obviously very upset and resorted to foul language, shouting (caps) and demands. His post did little to benefit anyone. I’m all for posting about about problems, being descriptive, providing all the details about how it is connected etc. Yes, this helps get things fixed. No, I do not work for WD, I’m just an end user.

It is unfortunate that the upgrade prompt comes up so readily. Most companies state “Do not upgrade unless you are having issues” for firmware.

Many people not technically inclined will never connect the device to the internet to begin with I suspect. others can block the update prompt by configuring their router. I simply keep a copy of every release and I keep a USB flash drive with a good working version ready to be inserted to quickly roll back. My wife can do it. Insert stick, turn unit on, accept FW update, remove stick.

I never update my smartphone, my router, my tv, my computer BIOS, my NAS BIOS, my WDTV or any other flash capable device without knowing exactly how I can get back to whatever version I am at. I just ordered a new router online. I’ve already downloaded the manual, the software and every firmware version for this device and I won’t receive it for a week or so.