Factory Reset - No boot when Network is plugged in, without network, boots ok

Hi,

I did a complete factory reset. In doing this, the device hangs at the WE Live Hub loading screen, however, when I disconnect the network cable, reboot the device, the device boots up pretty quick. When I plug the network cable back in, the device reboots, and hangs the loading screen. An item to note, I did downgrade the firmware, and update the firmware. I also tried using the reset button on the device.

Any one got any idea’s on how to resolve this?

Thank you in advance!

Hi,
I Have same issue. Did you fix it the problem?

Kind of,

It has something to do with DNS, if you put in a bogus DNS server, it will come up. From a traffic capture, it looks like it tried to register itself to a url that is no longer valid.

That’s about as far as I have gotten. It seems to query http://www.wd.com/wdtvlivehub, and looking specifically for a SRV (WDTVLiveHub.wd.com:445 0 0) records for WDTVLiveHub. It never finds these.

It does hit up wd2go.com, and appears to be looking for something else as well, (which goes to AWS)

If anyone has any ideas how to get past this, that would be great.

For kicks, I did open up a ticket with WD support, however I expect them to close it without doing much.

My guess is, this is an unexpected bug, which I hope they have a workaround for, or a quick fix.

Hi,

I have an update. With my network port unplugged, what I had to do, was download the original firmware from the firmware rollback site: WD TV Live Hub Media Center, Streaming and Media Player: Rollback Firmware (version 2.02.16), install this firmware, do a factory reset. I plugged in the network cable, and everything came up. Rebooted twice, just to make sure it came up correct. Upgraded the firmware to the latest, version 3.12.13, and the issue went away.

Looking at the traffic capture, all the online queries went away. My guess is the factory reset at version 3.12.13 corrupts something on the device.

1 Like

Just sharing my experience.
I have same issue with my wdtvhub, it boots only with unplugged network or when in my lan internet was disabled.
So workaround for me was:

1. Unplug network and boot as normal.
  2. Rollback to 2.08.13 and do factory reset. After this i was able boot with plugged network.
  3. Update to 3.12.13.
    Cancel any registrations, experience and etc.
    And don’t do factory reset.

This is working solution, if anyone interested, maybe there is sense to findout which service cause this, and maybe there is only disabling this service in settings is enough (i mean disable it with unplugged network, without reflash device).

Also looks like my another wdtvhub is still working fine as dlna nas. Maybe this because this issue becomes not so long time ago and first hub all this time was working without turning off.

1 Like

Sadly the same as happened to me with my WDTVLIVEHUB. I was just about to put it on ebay to sell so i cleared out the HDD of the goodies and reset it and now with the ethernet or wifi stick plugged in it crashes the system.

I’ve tried to follow the directions of Anton and icemantechno but alas the oldest firmware that the box will take is 3.0.28 and that does not fix the networking issue. Either the box does not see the firmware on the USB stick(2.08.13 and a couple below that) or it says it is not compatible(2.02.16 and a couple above that).

If I manually give it network numbers including DNS it works but that’s a PITA to common folk.

Thoughts?

what i did was go into the zip file and rename the file wdtvlivehub.ver from 2.08.13 to 3.08.13
the first number has to be higher, i changed the number to 3, flashed that, without the ethernet cable in…then once it finished flashing and i booted in to main screen, i went into system, then reset it.
when i rebooted, i plugged in the ethernet cable…bingo it worked, then after that i flashed the last firmware 3.12.13 and reset then reboot, works good as new.

1 Like

That worked fender62! Had to rename 2.08.13 to 4.08.13 as 3.x.x was already on it.

I’m curious that you would want me to reset after installing 3.12.13. Isn’t resetting the cause of the problem?

i think the cause maybe if you do a sudden shutdown, pull the power while it’s on, the idea of a reset after flashing is to tell the system or flush the system, mmm like a clean up i suppose, worked for me.

Hello all.
Try Automatic Firmware check to off.
I had the same problem and after a firmware reset it persisted but the above cured it.

1 Like

Thanks for the tip Phil! That worked for me. I’d been frigging around with that for months! Champion.

Hey guys, I’ve beign struggling with this for months. I haven’t being able to roll back. I do as told but the firmware works neither shows the option for sync from USB,
Network It was working fine but now it doesn’t.
Any tricks please?

Anton, I also started having this problem a couple weeks ago after resetting to factory defaults. Your method solved it for me. Thanks so very much!

Glad to hear it helps you.

Mine still working after those issue.
Still using it as small multimedia nas with video/audio collection)

To rollback:
Download this: http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/Rollback_wdtvlivehub_2_08_13.zip
Unarchive and put files onto root of flash drive.
After that open with notepad or editor you like file wdtvlivehub.ver
And change VERSION=‘3.08.13’ to VERSION=‘4.08.13’
Save, safely remove usb drive and try once again with livehub.

2 Likes

How did you do this step? When I open my .zip file, I don’t see an actual ver. number, just “wdtvlivehub.ver” along with 2 other files - “wdtvlivehub.bin” & “wdtvlivehub.fff” (without the quotes). I do not see anything to change. And upon double-cklicking “wdtvlivehub.ver” all I get a a view-window that pops up taht will not let me edit anything. Not only that but a separate issue I’m having is I get a message that states “The firmware you are attempting to install is not compatible with this hardware” when I attempt to rollback to 2.02.16

Thanks Anton, I try this before with other versions, I’ll try today with this one, crossing fingers will have better luck. the other problem too is I never get to see the FIRMWARE UPDATE tab on the home menu or anywhere.
I’ll let you know how this goes.
Cheers

Yous should see this 4 files, Right Click on the .ver and with CRTL + Richt click try Open with to open the filw with Notepad

Make sure “Detect New Firmware” is activated in the Settings. (Setup > System)

Done! network is working again!!! thanks. Now firmware is 2.08, Which version should I upgrade it to?