Does this product work with XP?

I can see and use the Public folder on the drive, but the other shares I have created seem to require an ID and password.

What would this ID and password look like? - Do they exist? - Or is this some incompatibility with XP?

I have not set a password in the User section, but setting this makes no difference.  Any ideas? - Thanks!
I am grateful if someone can confirm if they can use this fully with XP.  - Thanks.

Ahhh.  I think you just explained your issue from your other post.

Microsoft DOES NOT allow you to connect to a NAS using two different sets of credentials.

Having already connected to “Public” shares (using the hidden “Guest” credentials microsoft calls them)

you will NOT be able to connect to ANY Private share.

You must purge ALL connections to the MBL, and all cached credentials on your PC.

Then connect to the PRIVATE share first, and then you can connect to the public after that (since the Public share will accept ANY credentials, not just “Guest.”)

Unfortunately, it’s been years since I used XP, so I can’t really guide you through how to do that.

Just remember, that you can only connect to the MBL using ONE user account.  So if you have multiple private shares you want access to, you must assign the same user to ALL of them.

Thanks for your reply.

Wow - Seriously? - You are saying that under XP the multiple users do not work?

I haven’t got that far yet in the testing to find that out…

I have now managed to get access to the private drives!  (yea!)

I deleted them and used the " /Admin/webapp/htdocs/mapDrive.php?mapkey " log-in app to connect to new shares.

(Though currently I cannot remember how I got there… Doh!) 

Unfortunately each share seems to be limited to 60GB?  - I cannot see how to change the size of these. - Any ideas? - Thanks!

OK - On  further life sucking by this device I have so far discovered -

It appears to be only possible to access the private drives using https://www.wd2go.com 

This needs to be done after each re-boot as this setup is not held.

Any attempt to access a drive outside of this just shows a log-on box which will never work.

Even through WD2Go, the drives are limited to 30GB which is next to useless.

The Public drive works fine. 
However I have no wish to make all of my data free to everyone, which I assume that this means.

I am very dissapointed with this product.  If these are PC or XP limitations (I seem to be able to access things fine through my phone) then this should be explained on the box, and not hidden until use.  Unless I can work out a way of using this product, it will be going back…

Rev.F, you’ve got a lot of things going on.

First, the reason it says you only have 60GB is because your PC has connected to the MBL via WebDAV, not via network shares.

http://community.wd.com/t5/My-Book-Live/WebDAV-Primer-Microsoft-vs-WD-My-Book-Live-etc/m-p/576975/highlight/true#M23535

Note also that all these issues are the responsibility of your PC and are not the “fault” of the MBL.   

I’ve already answered why your Public shares work and your private ones do not.

It’s a MICROSOFT limitation, and it’s the same on ALL versions, not just Windows 7.

Rev.F wrote:

I am very dissapointed with this product.  If these are PC or XP limitations (I seem to be able to access things fine through my phone) then this should be explained on the box

Why?  It’s not an issue with WD’s product.  It’s an issue with your PC.

The MBL will happily accept arbitrary logins from any number of systems and/or accounts.  It’s a Microsoft limitation that allows you to only use one.

Again, if you’re not able to use the MBL according to your needs, I would imagine you’ll have the same issues with ANY vendor’s NAS, as the problems aren’t with the NAS, they’re with your computer.

Thanks for your answer - but it is just a cop-out to say that the kit being sold doesn’t work because of the PC.

• The installation should ideally be designed to deal with it, or at the very least, have clear instructions on how to work around the issues if needed.
    Indeed - the link says that WD2Go actually needs WebDAV, so turning it off to get another part of the kit to work is a bit of a compromise.

This seems to be a product of compromises. - I just hope that there is a sw/fw update to deal with it soon.

I will persevere a few days more before sending it back though.

Fingers crossed!

Cheers.

Rev.F wrote:

it is just a cop-out to say that the kit being sold doesn’t work because of the PC.

Cop-out of what?   I’m not reponsible for how the MBL works – that’s WD’s job.   Nor am I responsible for ensuring your PC works right – that’s YOUR job.  I’m just telling you that the issue’s you’re seeing are on your end, not their’s.

There’s thousands upon thousands of people using these things successfully.  

Yes, they have issues, and when there are WD issues, I’ll plainly say that.

But that’s not the case here… the issues are on your end.

Rev.F wrote:> The installation should ideally be designed to deal with it, or at the very least, have clear instructions on how to work around the issues if needed.

That’s an opinion with which I disagree.  It’s not the manufacturer’s responsibility to exhaustively document workarounds with malfunctioning systems or equipment for which they’re not responsible.

yes, this product works 100% with XP, and Linux and Vista and W7 and Macs and android, etc etc…

Rev.F wrote:

OK - On  further life sucking by this device I have so far discovered -

It appears to be only possible to access the private drives using https://www.wd2go.com 

This needs to be done after each re-boot as this setup is not held.

Any attempt to access a drive outside of this just shows a log-on box which will never work.

Even through WD2Go, the drives are limited to 30GB which is next to useless.

The Public drive works fine. 
However I have no wish to make all of my data free to everyone, which I assume that this means.

I am very dissapointed with this product.  If these are PC or XP limitations (I seem to be able to access things fine through my phone) then this should be explained on the box, and not hidden until use.  Unless I can work out a way of using this product, it will be going back…

Whether you are logging out of xp as one user, and logging in as another (each person accessing a private folder), or you have one xp account and want to access multiple different private folders, the idea is the same.  If the OS connects to a public share first, due to a “reconnect at logon” mapping, you can’t get to the private shares.  Search the forum or google for net del to see how to delete current connections.

I would say, have XP reconnect at logon to the private shares.  Then just have a shortcut or something on the desktop that goes to the public share.