Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Hi, again,

now I have another problem.

My soft raid is degraded. I don’t no why.

Because I don’t have any experiences in software raids so far and don’t want to risk a complete new install, I ask you pros here :slight_smile:

Version : 0.90
  Creation Time : Wed Oct 15 14:37:16 2014
     Raid Level : raid1
     Array Size : 1999808 (1953.27 MiB 2047.80 MB)
  Used Dev Size : 1999808 (1953.27 MiB 2047.80 MB)
   Raid Devices : 2
  Total Devices : 1
Preferred Minor : 0
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Thu Nov 6 23:29:25 2014
          State : clean, degraded
 Active Devices : 1
Working Devices : 1
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

UUID : c6f66280:28ddd386:90e74da6:5a1e64ea
         Events : 0.8872

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
       0 0 0 0 removed
       1 8 2 1 active sync /dev/sda2

-------------------

Version : 0.90
  Creation Time : Wed Oct 15 15:16:55 2014
     Raid Level : raid1
     Array Size : 1999808 (1953.27 MiB 2047.80 MB)
  Used Dev Size : 1999808 (1953.27 MiB 2047.80 MB)
   Raid Devices : 2
  Total Devices : 1
Preferred Minor : 1
    Persistence : Superblock is persistent

Update Time : Thu Nov 6 23:29:49 2014
          State : clean, degraded
 Active Devices : 1
Working Devices : 1
 Failed Devices : 0
  Spare Devices : 0

UUID : a9400a86:295fa6e0:90e74da6:5a1e64ea
         Events : 0.164261

Number Major Minor RaidDevice State
       0 8 1 0 active sync /dev/sda1
       1 0 0 1 removed

Thx!

Its normal. (2nd part used for upgrade, but not added to new raid after restart)

If you want - download “Autoinstall.zip” from GDrive and run “Run_me_after_reboot.sh” for fix.

Hi all,

thanks for the great guide. Almost everything works great.

Unfortunatelly, spindown for system HDD does not work. HDD keeps spinning all day long.

There is a year old thread at openmediavault forum saying: because of logging system disk will never spin down.

Is there a way to redirect these slogs somewhere into ram drive or just to throw logs away? 

I am fun of green and fun of my wallet and this is also the reason why i bought the wdmycloud. 

Thanks,

Hujanita

hujanita, WD Red can run 24/7 ~5 years.

Ramlog already installed in system, but not configured.

Hi,

i’d like to now if this guide works for the wd my cloud mirror?

Maybe…

Need test. (And tuning - different RAID configuration).

1 Like

Hello,

Thank you very much, the AutoInstaller worked perfectly to install OMV & Debian.

I can see that network settings for OMV do not work properly to install the Firewall.
It seems that the kernel does not support Ipables.

Would you be able to allow iptables  in your next Kernel please?

Thank you

• Swobz

I have followed all of the instructions, and added newest openmediavault, and now I no longer have ssh access. I get connection refused. How can I fix this?

Hi all,

I would like to sync the folder with google drive. I did not find plugin for  this in openmediavault. Have anybody tried to sync with google drive in wheezy? Which tool do you use?

Thanks

One of these shoud work

Google Drive client for GNU/Linux

owncloud

The first should hog less resources. The second would add plenty of functionality you may not need.

rp1783 wrote:

I have followed all of the instructions, and added newest openmediavault, and now I no longer have ssh access. I get connection refused. How can I fix this?

Logon to OMV and enable the service.

saggi

thanks, i have tried grive but had a problem with mixed dependencies. I was not able to resolve them. 

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
grive : Depends: libboost-filesystem1.55.0 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libboost-program-options1.55.0 but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libgcrypt20 (>= 1.6.1) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.9) but 4.7.2-5 is to be installed
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

For install Grive - you need enable/add “SID” repository in APT.

omvmycloud wrote:
“Please, could anyone with running samba 4 (@>40MB/s) describe step by step how to install? (After run_me_after_reboot_script)”

Well, it is fairly easy to install Samba 4 from wheezy- backports on a clean Debian.

Basically you need to add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://http.debian.net/debian wheezy-backports main

Then do a:

apt-get update

And finally issue a:

apt-get -t wheezy-backports install samba

Reference:  Debian Backports ›› Instructions

The problem is: this won’t work with openmedivault installed as the OS will give preference to the OMV repository and dependencies no matter what.

OMV leaves you stuck with a bunch of outdated stuff and is a bit of a disappointment as far as I am concerned,

You would be much better off by removing it and installing Webmininstead, which offers a more powerful, comprehensive and reliable GUI for administering Debian.

To remove OMV one can try:

apt-get purge openmediavault

apt-get autoremove

Sadly this will still leave behind a bunch of configuration files tweaked by OMV which may be problematic with subsequent package installations.

To install Webmin one can follow these instructions: 

http://www.webmin.com/deb.html

Bottom line for first time fresh installers is: FORGET OMV. Just install a clean Debian and if you need a Graphical  Interface for administration use Webmin.

My two cents.

2 Likes

A few more remarks pertaining openmediavault.

Points I found in favour of OMV;

• the OMV BTSync repository is updated often
  • OMV-PyLoad installs fine whereas if you try to install it from Debian repositories or manually you may stumble on a serious issue pertaining GNUTLS

Points against OMV:

• A bunch of critical packages are outdated and lack functionality, namely: MiniDLNA (old version does not organize shown folders as well) , Aria2 (uses a buggy version) and OwnCloud (v7 allows communicating with other OwnCloud installations, OMV uses v.6 and the maintainer has an “attitude” which affords it little priority)
  • Installs Nginx by default. This conflicts with many packages you will find in Debian Repositories which use Apache instead.
  • For the sake of it’s own integrity it prevents installation from other sources and actually reduces your freedom of choice. In the end you get a deliberately simplified interface which does not handle - and worst prevents you from handling - more granular settings.

For anyone trying to elude a manufacturer’s custom Kernel, OMV will corner you in a different way and  does not seem the way to go.

BTW, the nice system performance graphs OMV offers (for the utility they may actually have) can be easily obtained by using  any of these collected front-end tools

hi, i have following line in sources.list:

deb http://ftp.cz.debian.org/debian sid main

but grive does not install. is there anything else i should add?

Thanks…

I tried updating to Samba 4. I noticed in /etc/samba/smb.conf there were several things not in that file that were on the list of things to edit. I added them and restarted samba, and now it’s not working. anyone now why?

Take a look here (particularly the “[public]” portion):

http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Simple_Samba_Shares_in_Debian#Creating_a_New_Configuration_File

By definition SID is the development “unstable” branch of Debian. Sometimes it leads you to dead ends.

hvalentim wrote:

Take a look here (particularly the “[public]” portion):

http://www.thomas-krenn.com/en/wiki/Simple_Samba_Shares_in_Debian#Creating_a_New_Configuration_File

I took a look and made some updates, but I’m still not getting anywhere. When I looked at smbstatus it still says 3.6.6 Any other suggestions?