Clean OS (Debian), OpenMediaVault and other "firmwares"

Great work Fox_exe and thanks for the guide. Since I have no linux knowledge I used the auto installation guide. After the installation I cannot access dev/sda4. I cannot see the partitions when i use fdisk. But can see it with sfdisk.

What should I do further? Please help. I dont need any raid functionality, I just want to install Minidlna and logitech media server on my device.

fdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sda’! The util fdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 3000.6 GB, 3000592982016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 364801 cylinders, total 5860533168 sectors
Units = sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 1 4294967295 2147483647+ ee GPT
Partition 1 does not start on physical sector boundary.

Disk /dev/md0: 2047 MB, 2047803392 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 499952 cylinders, total 3999616 sectors

Disk /dev/md0 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

Disk /dev/md1: 2047 MB, 2047803392 bytes
2 heads, 4 sectors/track, 499952 cylinders, total 3999616 sectors

Disk /dev/md1 doesn’t contain a valid partition table

sfdisk -l

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on ‘/dev/sda’! The util sfdisk doesn’t support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

Disk /dev/sda: 364801 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 0+ 267349- 267350- 2147483647+ ee GPT
start: (c,h,s) expected (0,0,2) found (0,0,1)
/dev/sda2 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/sda4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty

Disk /dev/md0: 499952 cylinders, 2 heads, 4 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 1076830729 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/md0: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

Disk /dev/md1: 499952 cylinders, 2 heads, 4 sectors/track

sfdisk: ERROR: sector 1076830729 does not have an msdos signature
/dev/md1: unrecognized partition table type
No partitions found

pradeepzn, what exacly firmware you installed? Clean debian?

Ok, just edit mount point:

nano /etc/fstab

And edit or add this line:

# Data ("Shares" in original firmware)
/dev/sda4 /data ext4 noatime,data=writeback,barrier=0,nobh,errors=remount-ro 0 0

Change /data to any other folder (But crete this folder first: mkdir /data )

Save it (crtl-x, yes) and run mount -a (Or reboot device)

Clean Debian is the firmware. Edited fstab as advised, now i can access my library.

I installed logitech media server, i can access the web page and configure, will test it further with my streaming devices.

Please suggest, can I go ahead and install other tweaks like samba4 ?

Thanks a lot for the guidance…

even 180 MB free ram did not help to run the plex media server on top of my 1000 + familly photo and  video archive :frowning:

Whole system got frozen everytime the plex tried to index archive. Seems that Plex server on mycloud is not really suitable  for large familly archives. However, i managed to install the miniDLNA 1.1.2 via debootstrap thanks to  ikubux’s guide. So i am now happily running  miniDLNA 1.1.2 for my kids and  miniDLNA 1.0.24 for my movies in paralel.  

FYI Jessie debian release seems to be running in chroot without any problems

I installed clean debian and was working fine until I played around and uninstalled mdadm. Samba stopped working.

So I tried reinstalling clean debian using autoinstall, but it fails. I reinstalled mdadm still failed.

mdadm: set device faulty failed for /dev/sda1: Device or resource busy
mdadm: Cannot find /dev/md1: No such file or directory
Something wrong: /dev/md1 not exist! Exit now…

How do i install the original WD firmware? Please help.

Before autoinstall.sh try to stop all services (Except SSH and Mdadm).

Thanks Fox-exe, after stopping services the result is same. 

Script updated, please try it. If still not work - write full log to me in PM.

1 Like

Fox_exe,

Great job with CleanDebian.  Just what I was looking for.

Unfortunately, twice it has crashed with no way of getting back in to the system.

First was without any swapfile (I thought this may have been the problem) and second was while installing a nodejs module.  It wasn’t really taxing the processor or memory.

I was installing remotely and thought perhaps my network went down but even at home there was no SSH access.   It responded to pings fine.

I had to hard-reset the drive but it never came back up.  Just a white light for a few hours.

I searched the drive for any log files before it crashed but nothing.  The dmesg was all good.   Perhaps I’ll install some system logging this reinstallation :slight_smile:

I’m very interested in helping out in any way I can.   Having just a tiny server is ideal for me.

CleanDebian runs 2x as fast as WDs factory install so I don’t mind reinstalling if and when it crashes.

I had the freeze issue with Plex when I first scanned my collection of video and music.

After a reinstall I noticed my swap wasn’t mounted.   Check ‘mount’ to see if /dev/sda3 is as swap, if not try swapon /dev/sda3

1 Like

After the new install and a reboot, it didn’t come back up again.

I noticed an mdadm error with the run_me_after_reboot.sh

Perhaps it’s due to not saving the mdadm.conf?

hi olasptfc

thanks for hint. fstab was ok, however I had to use swapon -f to fix page size.

Now the swap is ok and plex server works.

My raid device keeps changing to /dev/md127 which I think is the cause for being unable to boot.

Followed some instructions but it’s not so easy to update & save the /dev/md0 settings.

Any possible fixes without a new install? 

Great work!!! :heart:

Samba is a bit slow for now (cloud → pc : ~45MB\s, pc → cloud : ~31 MB\s),

but it opens more flexibility

Installed Clead debian and webmin samba Version 4.1.11-Debian

The unbrick Method which is described here:

How To Unbrick your 2TB/3TB/4TB My Cloud

Its not very hard to do that, but after the installation you should do a fast factory reset to determine the real size of your hard disk.

hujanita wrote. “i have installed the plex media server… However, OS died while plex indexing large number of files. (…) Did you do some tweaking to make the plex server really working?”

No particular tweaks here. 

My approach was to switch all other non essential services OFF while Plex was doing the initial scan. Also I added one Library at time, allowing Plex to finish parsing one library before adding the next. This is indeed a very slow process compared to  MiniDLNA and may easily take a full day, One has to bear in mind that unlike MiniDLNA which just indexes the files, Plex goes go trough a process of trying to recognize each media file, comparing it with online databases, downloading the classificatory metadata and generating thumbnails etc…

Also, anyone running Plex on a MyCloud will likely want to switch off the automatic update features, since whenever it starts indexing stuff on it’s own it does take over the NAS and everything else will stall (SWAP starts growing as well).

I never had an experience where the OS “died completely”. It is still responsive, it just takes ages to do anything.

Once Plex finishes indexing files, it works reasonably well (I mean, fast enough).

The bottom line is that overall the MyCloud simply lacks the resources to run Plex smoothly,

I guess a combination of MiniDLNA with FileBotrunning from a more powerful machine might be a solution most will find more compeling.

hujanita wrote: “I had to use swapon -f to fix page size (…) Now the swap is ok and plex server works.”

Yep. Swap is key with Plex as it (ab)uses it a lot.

Did not need that step myself. I never got into/never installed firmware v.4… :slight_smile:

Hello,

First of all many thanks to Fox_exe for all the work! Спасыбо большое!

But actually the thread confused me a bit :wink: If I use the autoinstall script, I will be able to install the OS without opening the device’s case, won’t I?

Installing Clean Debian without OpenMediaVault will lock me out of the device, won’t it?

Thanks a lot for your help!

_“If I use the autoinstall script, I will be able to install the OS without opening the device’s cas_e?”

Yes. That’s the point.

“Installing Clean Debian without OpenMediaVault will lock me out of the device?”

No. You will be left without any form of “fancy” Graphical User Interface for managing the device but able to access and control it via SSH (console/command line). Subsequently it’s your option to leave it like that or to install administration tools providing interfaces such as:

1 Like

Or another ‘crazy’ way:  http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/