Choppy playback

Hi,

I have some uncompressed DVD movie files on my network (wired), along with smaller, compressed video files.

1. The smaller files work just fine, but the full length DVD files lose audio frequently. The same DVD file plays just fine on a laptop and so it cannot be a network issue.

2. I tried the reset button on the bottom, but though the device restarted and I had to reapply settings, it did not ask for new firmware and also remembered my file. So, it appears the reset was incomplete.

Ideas?

Thanks

1.  Successfully streaming to a different device doesn’t necessarily mean that there’s no network issues involving your WD.   The WD is a different device and handles the network differently than a PC.

2.  Firmware is not “uninstalled.”  Once you’ve upgraded it, it’s upgraded.   The reset only resets the SETTINGS.   

Thanks.

Is there anyway I can overwrite firmware with an older/stabler version?

shsomash wrote:

I have some uncompressed DVD movie files on my network (wired), along with smaller, compressed video files.

1. The smaller files work just fine, but the full length DVD files lose audio frequently. The same DVD file plays just fine on a laptop and so it cannot be a network issue.

out of interest, what format are the files in that you are having problems with?

VOB Files.

Rolling back to the previous firmware did not help. Any magic tips which will let me keep this device are greatly appreciated. Else, it is RMA.

Thanks,

S

shsomash wrote:

VOB Files.

Rolling back to the previous firmware did not help. Any magic tips which will let me keep this device are greatly appreciated. Else, it is RMA.

Thanks,

S

Mark video_ts folder (or any folder which contains vob files), don’t open it and don’t select any vob files. Just press play button on a highlighted folder name (don’t press OK button!) and you’ll be fine.

I normally have no issues with my DVD rips. On the odd ocasion that i do, often changing the audio setting to stereo (rather then my usual HDMI audio settings) somtimes can solve audio glitches for a particular rip. If you are currently set on stereo already, try changing to optical, or HDMI if you are concted by one of these…