Can't access any Files all of a sudden - Organge Spinning Circle - WD Tive Live Hub

Hi there,

I have a WD TV Live Hub 1 TB and plan to unfortunatekly use it alot over the next month.  I was in an accident on Wenesday and broke my foot.  So the couch and I are getting real close.  Anyhow, the 1TB drive is nearly at full capacity. The device is directtly connected to the tv and  not over a network.  So I add content by directly connection a thumb drive or portable drive to the front of the WDTVLH via USB. 

Yesterday I added 3 drives worth of content.  About 5GB.  EVerything was fine, and I was watching my shows,  By the time I got to episode 4 of a show, when I clicked on the program…the orange circle (which typically means the device is processing) just keeps circling.  

I assumed it was an error, so I backed out and tried again.  Same thing.  Just keeps spinning and spinning.  I then tried the episode I just finished watching…and same thing,  I then tried the next future eposide I wouldn’t watch until after eposiode 4, and same thing.  I then backed out of this folder on the ssytem to click in other folders that contain video.  And every single file does exactly the same thing.  

Which would total over 600 movies and who knows how many TV shows, etc.  

I turned the device off and back on, and same thing.  I had my friend (since I am couch ridden) to unplug and then replug in…and though for a second it looked like the show was registering, the circle kept continuing. 

Ironically, you can see everyy file on the entire device.  You can click forward and back through folders and scroll right to left to review content.  Every file is there and legible, until you click on it. 

I am certainly hoping and praying that there is a fix to all this, and that I am just uneducated for the proper trouble shooting techniques here.  Would love any help or advice anyone has to offer. 

If I ahve left any specific detail out that would help, let me know and I can find it and re-post it.  Thanks - John

Hello, sorry about your accident, have you tried connecting other USB memories or hard drives to the WDTV? Always remember to safely eject the USB memory/hard drive before disconnecting them from the WDTV since this can cause data corruption. You can also try connecting USB memory/hard drive directly to a PC to see if you encounter any problems. 

have you tried the usb sticks in a pc or laptop to see if the files play, i would reset the hub to factory default

then try your usb sticks again to see if they play, could be a corruption in the files

This has recently happened to me and I’ve spent hours of fruitless search trying to find a fix. I bought my unit back in 2011 and it has been Mr Reliable until recently.

Current firmware is 3.12.13 (I haven’t tried a roll back yet).

My hub has no media on it other than the sample media. (I use networked WD Live Books to hold the media after the internal 1Tb drive got a tad full and moving files got boring.)

Anyway, this is what I have done (no it isn’t a fix) . Press reset button on base of unit - go through setup. The sample videos now play. Leave the unit switched on - come back some hours later and hey - the same videos no longer play - this is well weird.

Someone on the net suggested pressing reset/using the soft menu reset (same thing isn’t it?) then unplugging the power for a while and powering on. Yes, it worked but then when I left it alone whilst at work - came back and it was the old orange circle again.

In all this testing I used the sample media only.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks

Tell us about your network and what’s on it. There are SOME smart TVs and some Samsung devices that give the HUb a fit.

For example and this really isn’t Hub related but demonstrates what a “Smart” TV can do to a network. I have an LG 55LM7600 I bought in Jan 2013. I also use a DLNA server on a PC called PlayOn. It has the ability to have scripts/addons/apps run so you can access sites on the internet to view content. Some of these scripts let you have a text file that it creates for favorites. About a week after I connected the “Smart TV” to my network I noticed the text files for the favorites were being populated with links to stuff all over the internet with no involvement on my part!! I didn’t realize it was the TV doing this and blamed everyone else in the world for the problems. Finally, 6 months later, I had a totally unrelated problem and needed support from PlayOn. When I sent them the error log to read, they asked me to remove the LG from the network as it was filling the log file with unrelated info and they couldn’t read it. So I did remove it and then they could read the log and that unrelated problem got solved. THEN it dawned upon my little pea sized brain that this “Smart TV” might just be the root of all my evil with PlayOn. So I removed the TV from the network. It stopped all my problems! Even the Hub’s ability to play movies became 100% reliable! All because LG’s Firmware wants to look at and keep available a list of ALL the video, music and pictures on your network so you can access it through the TVs DLNA interface, which is lame at best BTW. So, since I have Windows 7 Ultimate I used a little trick on the host PC to block the IP of the TV from the Host PC. Now everyone is happy and I can still access the internet with the TV but not PlayOn. I no longer use the Hub as a media player it just sits as a storage device on my network for old classic movies I like to watch.

So…long story, huh…remove or power off all your network devices (smart phones, wifi stuff, smart TVs, Bluy Ray Players and the like) execpt the Hub and the router and test again to see if it might clear the problem…