Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.41_V (12/20/12)

is there anything i have to do to get this new firmware to recognize my USB SOHO Raid (2x2TB) drive?

Any firmware version newer than 1.05.04 doesnt see my drive.

Please, who can answer this…? 

a week ago

Hi,

Didn’t see anything in the release notes about fixing the extreme delay to load a external (USB) HDD full of media (for example, 1TB), everytime you turn on the device.

In old firmawares this use to be only a few seconds. In version 1.06.15 it takes a couple minutes until you can really start using the device…

Thanks

ArturB wrote:

I have also lost files (converted to proteced folders)!

NTFS Memory Stick with mp3 files on USB1 some are lost!! i though, that was a problem with my stick but now, it is a great bug!!!

So, are the files lost or are they still there on the stick and accessible? If so, attach the stick to the drive and eject it properly. Usually the files are no longer write protected after this.

i see the files. windows 7: can’t copy, can’t remove… have format the stick again.

i shut down wd live always before i remove any usb device. but windows always say, the device is possible defect and should be tested. i always test the device but no errors are detected. the stick was checked but some files are not accessible.

the stick: 32gb transcend ultra speed with over 3000 files.

look to the post from sarastratos above, same problem.

do not shut down WD first,

while WD is on, press the eject button on the remote, choose what drive to eject, unplug drive while WD still on.

with older firmware never lost files… even i shut down without rejecting and music was playing, get just the windows warning but no errors.

but that is a point to improve the next firmware: autorecjecting before shutdown…

the problem now: why are files renamed to unaccessible folders? that should be monitored… and i am not alone, see post from user “sarastratos”.

This is still not resolved.

I can get sound from the stereo output, but not the optical when playing FLAC files.

Multiple files were tested, all of which played in earlier versions with no issue.

markinuk wrote:

do not shut down WD first,

while WD is on, press the eject button on the remote, choose what drive to eject, unplug drive while WD still on.

My USB Harddisk is permanent connected to wdlive, so it can’t caused by disconnect USB device. 

ArturB wrote:

the problem now: why are files renamed to unaccessible folders? that should be monitored… and i am not alone, see post from user “sarastratos”.

Right, and I gave you a possible solution to this that has worked for me: plug the stick back in and eject it manually. Then you can access the files again without having to reformat the drive.

ArturB wrote:

with older firmware never lost files… even i shut down without rejecting and music was playing, get just the windows warning but no errors.

but that is a point to improve the next firmware: autorecjecting before shutdown…

yes, older firware was working correctly! wd should absolutely fix this bug!

no product should damage customer’s hardware or software. NEVER!

and to people saying “just eject the device”… older firmwares worked ok!

just put an unmount command in the shutdown script or something similar!

don’t release final firmware without fixing this bug!

Hi,

I just tried this, and apart from a worrying failure to boot when it restarted after the update (Displayed WDTV logo, then goes blank. Old firmwares used to be quick enough that my LG TV didn’t start displaying no signal, but from 1.06.34 I’ve had 3 flashes of no signal, then continue loading. This time no signal forever, no response to remote, but after removing power manually, and restarting, it booted OK).

To me it seems not very different from the previous beta. Still has the 10 second delay on playing MKVs (almost no delay on 1.06.15) 5 seconds of rotating segments, then 5 seconds of 0:00, which now disappears after a second or so, but still waits.

As for the extreme delay loading external USB HDDs, that you ask about. That still seems to be there. I have a 1TB and a 1.5TB Toshiba Stor-e, and they worked fine with the previous firmwares, but now take an absolute age. It doesn’t even flash the USB light on the front to warn you it’s searching or whatever. A few minutes after booting I still only had network drives available for playing video, and no sign of the USB drives. I checked again 2 hours later (after some unexpected visitors came calling), and the USB drives had appeared, so I’m not sure how long it took. But too long for me.

Unless the 10 second playing start delay, and the USB recognising delays are fixed in a final release, I’ll be sticking with 1.06.15, as that works much better for me.

I can confirm that the latest betas, including 1.06.41 and latest stables too, have the following bug: -When powering off WDTV Live the device connected (Hard Drive, Pendrive) gets corrupted and Windows recognizes it but asks for a scan since it has problems on the partition. I thought, by now, this bug was squashed. It isnt. Despite this bug which should be fixed with a simple script when powering off the drive, I didnt encounter any other bugs. In fact, FRAME RATE MATCH its working. Yes!

I don’t trust Windows on this one. I often get this message even when a HDD hasn’t been connected to the WDTV before or even with an USB stick that was connected to my car stereo that does not write to the stick ever. Do you get this message when you manually eject the drive from the WDTV?

If I eject the drive, it gets correctly ejected. If I power off the unit, the drive comes out damaged. Lots of users have the same complaint on this very thread, which it didnt happen on older firmwares. Of course its a bug and should be easily fixable.

Of course it’s not easily fixable cause it’s not easily reproducible. I for one have only experienced this with the current model, but not the older LIVE. And it also didn’t happen all the time so it won’t be that easy…

it’s easily to fix: don’t write any information to the user-ntfs partition!!

if the ntfs write does not work correctly, don’t do that.

if its is necessary, than user have to make a small fat32 partition on the end, calling wdspare, write there, but no more in the ntfs partition with users files! if the fat32 partition have erros, then no more userdata are infected. it is not a solution, it is the only correct way to protect user data.

Heh…  That’s not a fix, that’s a handicap / hack.

A large number of users here wouldn’t even have a clue how to do what you’re describing.

The EJECT button has been on *EVERY* WD box ever made.   It’s there for a reason, and the reason is documented.

Whether or not you choose to use it is up to you, of course…

what is the greater hack, writing to user datas with the knowledge, something can goes wrong… or create a hidden system-partition for writing system operations. have wd a licence for full ntfs/hfs+ writing with journaling?

i don’t wanted to make it complicated… just don’t write on my drive if i not allow to do that. make a choice, writing system information to disc or not. if not, than i have “you choose to use it is up to you…”

i just want to hear music or want to look a movie, i don’t need any other infomation on my disc. if other people want to use the library, than it is their choice to write information to disc. but make a solid mode with no modification to user-datas.

if realy necessary for writing infomation to disc, than make some screenshots how you make a hidden partition on the end of a drive… under windows just a few clicks. mac should not be more exciting.  everybody with a wdlive have a computer… but don’t risc losing user datas.

hardon wrote:

Result from preliminary tests:

:

:
Bad:
-“Video”"Music""Photo" filter out files that doesn’t “fit” into the category. Previously, I could just use “Video” for playing all kind of files\media. Please add an option to get back the old behaviour, alternatively add a new category “All media”.

Agreed!  Please either make the network share media type filtering configurable, or add the new category “All”.

Years ago, the lack of working filtering was one of many annoying bugs in the WDTVLive. Since then, it’s become a “feature” that many of us have incorporated into how we’ve organized our use of the device.

I’m happy for those users that will find this change of benefit, but please don’t call this a “resolution”.  It’s been part of the box far too long for that!  Making it configurable would be an appropriate approach for all.

TonyPh12345, the eject button is for ejecting the drive before you connect another device on the same port. If I leave my HD on the device for days, pressing eject before turning off the device DOESNT MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL.