Beta Release - WDTV Live Firmware Version 1.06.41_V (12/20/12)

WD would like to extend the opportunity to join another public beta test of the latest WD TV Live firmware.  It will be available for the next two weeks.  Please post your experiences here in this thread.

To roll back, please refer to Knowledge Base Article 5800.

Very Important: Please do not rollback firmware from 1.06.41 to version 1.05.04 or earlier. Doing so may break your WDTV.

Preliminary Release Notes:

Supports iOS and Android WD TV Remote Apps.  (WD TV Remote version 1.1 Required)
Supports BBC iPlayer content streaming service (UK only).   
Supports YouTube Leanback.
Resolved playback issues when indexing large number of files.
Resolved FLAC and OGG Vorbis files no audio output via optical connection.
Resolved unable to play ADPCM files.
Resolved MP3 audio doesn’t work in FLV video container.
Resolved music not play correctly from network share when a JPG image is in the same folder.
Resolved reboot issues when playing VCD files.
Resolved USB drive is active after eject dialog is closed.
Resolved Facebook Like/Unlike function of video option bar.
Resolved network share doesn’t filter media category for Photos.
Resolved reboot issues after hot plugging USB keyboard.
Resolved HDMI issue with certain TV models displaying a purple screen.
Resolved audio sync issue on certain .MOV container.
Resolved ISO/VOB 10 minute skip function only skips once.
Resolved momentary freeze or lag after FFW or REV video file in .VOB container.
Resolved random music playback is not random issue.
Resolved device reboot issue when playing slideshow and music from network share.
Resolved subtitles colors of subtitles and background are displayed incorrectly.
Resolved SRT subtitle outline is transparent.
Resolved IDX and SUB subtitles without end time info in header are not displayed.
Resolved file types filter issue while browsing videos in network share.
Resolved several general Flingo user interface issues.
Resolved several general Dailymotion user interface and playback issues.
Resolved video playback issue with certain MPEG2 video files.
Resolved several Pandora user interface issue.
Resolved system reboot issue when copying multiple files.
Resolved choppy playback issue with VCD video files.
Resolved HDMI video output settings being forced to unsupported resolution when setting to auto.

3 Likes

Link on fw is for wdtv plus when you click it.

And in topic about wdtv plus link to fw is for usual wdtv :wink:

Bring it on, LOL!

Ok, who is going to try it? Let him who is without sin cast the first stone :wink:

What’s funny is, because of the New High Contrast Forum people aren’t going to able to

properly / visually read the Links, Important Information and Warnings about this release

until WD update the font colors …   

Link bad.

But match video frame rate works again!!!

You may not be able to read the warning in the first post because it is in yellow however beware.

Very Important: Please do not rollback firmware from 1.06.41 to version 1.05.04 or earlier. Doing so may break your WDTV.

Yeah…c’mon WD…**bleep** is up with this new color scheme and your white and yellow fonts?

Dear WD Team,

I have always been a big fan of WD products. For a long time I have resisted buying an Apple TV, because I wanted to wait for WD to release a new home entertainment product that can eventually compete with Apple TV, particularly the Air Play feature. Sadly, WD has yet to launch any product that offers this feature. To make the situation worst, the recent WDTV Live Firmware update issue has really been a big let down to everyone. Almost seems like a joke to me to be honest.

With Apple TV being more and more popular,  my patience & loyalty to your products & services is fast running out. It’s been taking way too long for you guys to do something and compete with your competitors. I guess I have no choice, but to switch to Apple TV. You have just lose one of your loyal customers like me.

Finally, I hope your guys will wake up soon, otherwise more and more of your loyal customers will turn to your competitors for solutions, which WD has not been able to deliver. Sadly to say. I hope one day your product development will realize that your competitors are indeed VERY aggressive, while you guys are still sleeping. Pity…

I hope this feedback serves as a wake up call to you. I really wish you guys could do better than this… sigh…

Your (ex) loyal customer

What has this got to do with this firmware. You never mentioned if you tried it out not so how do you know that your problems are not solved. Beware of the rollback warning.

Hi, Bill_S. The link to the firmware is wrong. The text of the link actually goes to the download, but the URL associated goes to a Live Plus download. I guess it should be corrected or there will be lack of tests. Thanks!

You have to go to the live plus link to get the live firmware. Bit of a mess up all round!
Beware the rollback warning.

Please clarify:

Once we roll back to a pre 1.06.41 (but not pre 1.05.04) firmware can we then roll back to a pre 1.05.04?

Or is it a case of once 1.0.6.41 is installed it is permanent - you can never roll back to pre 1.05.04?

Initial test

Network shares connection still very sporadic.
One XP PC with a few shared folders, no password protection on shares.
Trying to connect to a share sometimes recognises the PC name but then returns no media in current folder. At other times an incorrect user name/password error is returned and the default wdtv screen displayed with anonymous and blank password. Continues to fail unless network share settings purged and wdtv rebooted. Even then it is not sure to connect.
Eventually after a random number of reboots/purges etc network shares are available.

BBC iplayer is a great addition but the sound is not output via optical out although this could well.be my berisford dac not recognising the audio stream. Stereo output is fine but a bit of a pain to have to keep changing settings.

Other than above does everything I need it to, my requirements aren’t too great, play mkv movies and flac music via optical output to berisford dac, radio via tune in and BBC iplayer.

lotti wrote:

Please clarify:

Once we roll back to a pre 1.06.41 (but not pre 1.05.04) firmware can we then roll back to a pre 1.05.04?

Or is it a case of once 1.0.6.41 is installed it is permanent - you can never roll back to pre 1.05.04?

Once you update to 1.06.41, you cannot roll back to any firmware prior to and including 1.05.04.  Now, having said that, it might be possible to rollback to 1.06.15, and then rollback to the others.  But we won’t support that either.

Anyone having issues updating with this version?  My TVLive has been sitting at 0% on the Updating firmware page for over 20 minutes.

pdf

Edit: I switched to a different USB stick and then the update ran in just a few minutes.

pdf

Hilarious – the new firmware has wrong links, illegible warnings, and an unexplained threat of bricking if you try to undo it. Par for the course for WD.

Bill_S wrote:> * * *

Once you update to 1.06.41, you cannot roll back to any firmware prior to and including 1.05.04.  Now, having said that, it might be possible to rollback to 1.06.15, and then rollback to the others.  But we won’t support that either.

You have to be kidding? So if .41 is a bust and nothing prior to 1.05.04 (1.02.21 was my “go to” version in times of trouble) can be used - are you saying that we are stuck with only the **bleep** released between  .41 and 1.05.15 whether we like it or not?

This move has now confirmed my official retirement of this unit. Good luck all.

VP

Installed FW successfully on my Player. I used it mainly for films that i have stored in my network and on two connected USB drives. 

Good job, its the first version that support both:

1. Thumbs view also on Network shares ( since 1.06.34)

2. Auto frame rate

so im happy and satisfied 90% with this version. Must wait so long for it…

and here the missing 10%: :smiley: 

1. Thumbs

This strange behaviour of minimization of pictures connected to media files is still there. If i place there a 1500x1000 jpg its transfered to an 80x120, 105x160, 120x180 or if have luck to an readable 300x450 thumb. Why?

So my wish is that all jpg transfered to big readable thumb to stop this really ugly view

or the possibilie to place own thumbs in this hidden WD folder.

1. Network

its possible to stop this browser service at wdlive? This problem that the player is blind and didnt see an of my 3 W7 PCs in this workgroup is connected with the Computerbrowser Service.  If the wd takes this role in workgroup its impossible to see other computers. Two friends of me have exactly the same problem, so i see thats not only caused by my “special” network

So my feature request:

possibility to connect shares directly with enter \<share>

or

disable this non working service?

All good for me. Thank you for the update.