Battery size in mAh?

Anyone knows?

Nope, but I presume it is a size suitable to meet certain criteria such at capacity, weight, duty cycle, physical size and of course, mfg. cost. 

Anyway, since you are a photographer, you should be going around with a bagful of 5v power banks to keep your gadgets charged at all times…  Check out two reputable brands I have experience with:  Anker and RAV; each has its own website.  They make power banks that store over 15,000 mAh. and chargers to charge them.  Amazon and Newegg sell both.

If I know I will be using a battery-powered gadget for an extended time, I just plug it into one of my power banks from the get-go.

If you’re looking at RAV, check out their filehub option as it can do most of the functionality of the whole MPW anyway when paired with a suitable drive (I run one with a MyPassport - both fit nicely into an Amazon Basics MP case).

@mike27oct: "going around with a bagful of 5v power banks "

Yup, thats way excactly I want to know the MPWs battery size so I know what to bring. 

I opened up my MPW. Would not recommend that anyone else does it. The plastic latches are tough. I also almost broke one of my buttons. Also voids warranty.  

My has 3400mAh 3.7 battery. 

Enjoy!

Cekari wrote:

@mike27oct: "going around with a bagful of 5v power banks "

Yup, thats way excactly I want to know the MPWs battery size so I know what to bring. 

You buy the biggest one you can afford or want to pay for!  The more mah, the better.  I have both a 13,000 Anker and wife has a 14,000 RAV, and either will just about fully charge a completely discharged iPad.  (I think to fully charge one takes a 15,000 mah battery or better, since some of the battery’s charge is lost as heat during charging.)

Tallblondie wrote:

I opened up my MPW. Would not recommend that anyone else does it. The plastic latches are tough. I also almost broke one of my buttons. Also voids warranty.  

You sound a bit “dangerous” to me!  :wink:

Too bad you didn’t see the X-ray of the MPW!  Then you would have known where the screws. etc. are located!  Perhaps the beta tester who posted it in the beta forum will post it here for all to see.

Tallblondie wrote:

Enjoy!

Wow! You’re brave!

While you are in there, can you tell what actual drive is in the Passport?

I got the top cover off and the battery was right there. The drive is upside down in the lower part of the case and I’m unable to figure out how to unlatch the holders of what looks like shock mounts for the drive. 

Sorry, I’m brave but not that brave. Yes, the x-ray would help me in figuring out the shock mounts for the drive.

Enjoy!

@Tallblondie: Thanks for the info, 3400mAh should make about 4-5 recharges then with my 20000mAh PB. I’m glad you opened your as I would surely brake something if I tried :slight_smile:

Shock mounts… are there any really? Would be really nice if so.

@mike27oct: Yup, thats the general idea to bring what you need, but when your backpack goes over 20 kg (44 lb) with cameras, lenses, batteries for the cameras, tripod, power banks, drives etc etc and your over 62 yrs every oz counts, my legs and back aren’t what they used to be ;-)

BTW, I have tree 20000mAh PBs and a few smaller but now I know what minimum to bring… for the drives, iPhone and other ”must bring” recharge-able thingys.

I’m going to do some real ”field-tests” by doing SD transfers while moving around with the MPW in a bootle pouch at my belt that isn’t airtight, mostly to check if the drive survives as my old NextoID did with a small and cheap HDD. I’m pretty sure it will be no problems with a modern drive like this if I don’t ”jump around and behave” :slight_smile: IF just the stupid raining and winds would ever stop.

Cheers 

This is my powerbanks and pouch I use: 

SOLOVE M2 two ports power bank - 20000mAh

More than 93% energy frequency conversion.

Input: DC 5V 2A

Output 1: DC 5V 1A

Output 2: DC 5V 2.1A

and the puch is a Lowepro bottle mesh puoch that holds 2 PB, 2 cables )USB 3 and micro USB), a micro USB to Lightning adapter (Applles and the MPW plus a small plastic bag in the bottom in case of rain:

image.php.jpeg

Cheers

Was going to test the MPW today ie to recharge it with my power packs and surprice surprice none of them managed to load the MPW. The only ones (the Solove M2) seemed to work, but didn’t, although both the power pack and the MPW blinked as they should when dis-/ charging but after 2h and nor the powerpack or the MPW had changed even 1%. 

Anyone else have tried it and succeded?

Cekari wrote:

Was going to test the MPW today ie to recharge it with my power packs and surprice surprice none of them managed to load the MPW. The only ones (the Solove M2) seemed to work, but didn’t, although both the power pack and the MPW blinked as they should when dis-/ charging but after 2h and nor the powerpack or the MPW had changed even 1%. 

Anyone else have tried it and succeded?

Note that on the Solove, only Port 2 provides higher current (2.1mA).

Out1 may not charge the box as it has lower power (1.0mA)

Yes, I know. But I’m starting to think it’s not up to 2.1A perhaps 1.5-1.8 only, but how to be sure?

OK, a good suggestion, so I tried it and all is well.  Here’s what I did using my Anker 13,000 mah power bank:

First things first:  be sure to turn ON the power bank!  I had to for my power bank. I tried charging the MPW first time with the MPW off, and plugged the (2.1A out of) power bank in – no blue light on MPW indicating charging until the ON button of power bank was pressed.  I started with a 95% charge on MPW, in a short time, it was at 100%.  Of course, to see the UI, I had to turn on the MPW.  Then, I removed it from the power bank and let battery run down to 95% again, then again plugged in the power bank.  It got charged to 100% again, but took a little longer because MPW was now on and running.

So, the power bank charged the MPW when it was in both OFF and ON conditions, and charged faster when MPW was off.

Edit:  Corrected above that said, "95% again, but took a little longer . . . "  to be 100%.  Oops.

1 Like

Yup made sure the power bank was on (shows % left) attach it to the MPW and after a few seconds the power bank % 3rd digit starts to blik as they shoud and the MPWs power LED blinks as well in the color of the battery status.

No discharging/charging takes place. 

Did a new try with the MPW running and My Cloud connected and indeed it say charging in the app but nothing seems to happend. After a wile the HDD spins down and the MPW power LED starts to blink.

Tried the other port on the PB (1A) and ofc as expected not even a charge indication.

Thinks again that my Solove M2 isn’t up for the job, just enough power to get the electronics started, simple as that…

Oh well, they where cheap and works with my other stuff, so I guess I have to buy yet another one that works with the MPW