Alaska Resurface [WDTV LIVE HUB & SMP]

dsmith888 wrote:

Hi all,

This theme had many positive comments so I wanted to try it out but somehow I must have botched the installation.    All have have now is a white screen with “main menu” on the left and temperature and time on the right. Nothing else.  The remote does not appear to do anything . This includes the power button.    I have unplugged and plugged the unit in a few times but does not recover.  Sometimes I will get another white screen saying “Downloading information from media library” but that also is stuck for hours.

I grabbed the rar file, then unrared the one for the 15 gallery view into a folder “Alaska15” then copied the folder to the .wd_tv\theme folder.

Any help appreciated.

thx

unplug power, plug  in power and as its booting up before it gets too the white screen. stick something pointy inside the reset button on the bottom. hold for 10 seconds and let it fully boot. it will then go to the downloading information again and sould take 5-20 mintes depending on the amount of data you have.

also, are you hub or streamer?

Did not work.  I tried the reset before I get the “WD loading” screen as well as attempts during the loading screen.  I have the hub.  I do have visibility to the unit from my computer if any suggestions from that angle.  Again appreciate your help. thx

D.

If he accesses the hub from PC and delets the Alaska theme, will it then default to the Mochie/stock theme?

dsmith888 wrote:

Hi all,

This theme had many positive comments so I wanted to try it out but somehow I must have botched the installation.    All have have now is a white screen with “main menu” on the left and temperature and time on the right. Nothing else.  The remote does not appear to do anything . This includes the power button.    I have unplugged and plugged the unit in a few times but does not recover.  Sometimes I will get another white screen saying “Downloading information from media library” but that also is stuck for hours.

I grabbed the rar file, then unrared the one for the 15 gallery view into a folder “Alaska15” then copied the folder to the .wd_tv\theme folder.

Any help appreciated.

thx

i had the same problem as you can read a couple of pages before. are you using a NAS? when you are stuck in the main menu you can access the hub from the pc and delete the alaska theme and reboot the hub, then it is back on the default theme.

the solution for my problem was this (as posted before)

@Joey

i tested something and now the alaska theme seems to work with my NAS.

i just replaced the “inc_compiling_media_library_home.xml” file from the alaska theme with the one from your aeonish media flag theme. maybe you can look over it once again, because i dont know exactly what this file does :wink:

@Slezz

I just rolled back to Firmware 2.0.17 and did encounter the problem once. (only menu and time where there)

Rebooted to Mochi ,Reset Factory Defaults, turned off usb auto sync, turned of new firmware notifications, cleared media library and tried again.

1 Like

Thx Slezz,   I don’t have a NAS.    However my problem has disappeared.   All I did was unplug the unit and went away for 6 hours or so.  I was able to get the theme up and running on my return and powerup.   Just to check I wasn’t crazy I switched back to Darklight and then back to Alaska.  The screen appears stuck again - white wtih no menus.   The unplug again trick restored it back but this time it worked in 20 minutes or that’s how long I waited.  There does appear to be some impact to Darklight - at a minimum my temperature is no longer seen on main menu. 

anyways I have a functional box once again so thanks for everyone’s help.

D.

If you don’t see the “temperature”  ie  20c or 20F

You need to go the Online Service “Accuweather” and set your Location and temperature format (Celsius or Farenheit)

1 Like

mMcCorner wrote:

Hey Joey, i have one Question (maybe more):

Have you more then one Police-Album and have you a Mainfolder “Police” with Subfolders with the different Albums from Police? Then try this: go to the Mainfolder (in the Folder-View, with Media Library “on”) an go to “PLAY” all Songs from all Albums. Best Options “random Play”. NOW THE QUESTION: will the Cover change during the next song?

hey, no answer for me ? :wink: Perhaps someone can confirm my problem?

you can download my DemoFolderFrank.zip with 2 Artists and 3Album per Artist.

In Anastacia3 are 3 Albums with XML-File and associated JPG-File

in Britany3 are 3 Albums with Covers in the ID3-Tag (different Cover pro Song).

Please play the Main-Folder (Anastacia3 or Britany3) to Play all Songs (Songs are 10 seconds) and look for the Album-Cover. If the Song go to the next the Cover do not change.

http://db.tt/XNqhEqzG

mollybc (or any other with a SMP Device).

Really like your little addition to the Alaska Resurface theme.

However, although this theme is almost perfect I must ask someone with an SMP device

if it´s normal that it takes a couple of seconds for the images to show up in the “gallery view” - mode (18 covers)?

For me it takes about 2-8 seconds for all 18 covers to show.

If you wait for all covers to show up and then jump to another page and then back again,

it could take 5 seconds again for all of them to show up.

I guess it´s something with the SMP:s (poor) internal cache handling that isn´t optimal…

This behaviour is the same for all themes I´ve tried (which shows 15 or more covers on one page).

The movie information however displays immediately and that´s great of course.

I have a SMP and I use the 15 cover version. I don’t have to wait for my folder.jpg’s to show.

My folder.jpg files are all smaller than 100KB in size. I use a synology nas and I have a gigabit network at home and everything is wired.

Matte wrote:

mollybc (or any other with a SMP Device).

Really like your little addition to the Alaska Resurface theme.

However, although this theme is almost perfect I must ask someone with an SMP device

if it´s normal that it takes a couple of seconds for the images to show up in the “gallery view” - mode (18 covers)?

For me it takes about 2-8 seconds for all 18 covers to show.

If you wait for all covers to show up and then jump to another page and then back again,

it could take 5 seconds again for all of them to show up.

I guess it´s something with the SMP:s (poor) internal cache handling that isn´t optimal…

This behaviour is the same for all themes I´ve tried (which shows 15 or more covers on one page).

The movie information however displays immediately and that´s great of course.

I am using the 18 view theme on an SMP and images instantly show up, no delay at all.

Cheers

I’m owner of a SMP-device too and I’ve got the same “picture-delay-problems” like mollybc…

all pictures I’m using are “moviename”.jpgs (300x450) at about 70kb in size and as there are other users without the delay I really would be interested in what is causing this problem! Thought this would be usual behaviour up to now…

The files are stored on an external usb-hdd connected to a let’s say “main-desktop-pc” and streamed to the SMP via lan-cable.

@Matte

I have the SMP attached to a Seagate 3TB USB 3.0 drive with only 268 movies on it right now.  When the SMP is first attached to the USB drive it does take several seconds for the SMP to cache the covers from the drive for each page, but after that it loads them all instantly with each page change.  It’s the loading quickness of the data and images of this theme that I really like.  The gallery view on standard themes is great for visuals, but dreadfully slow to load the moviesheet and background data for each movie making it impractical to browse a movie collection.  I’m not sure why after all of your covers are loaded they would take so long to reload after each page change.  Are your movies on a local USB drive, NAS, or other network drive?  If they are on the network are you using a wired or wireless connection? I’m no expert as I’ve only had my SMP for about a month, but if I can help I will.

@Makula

All of my images are 240x360 and are all 80KB or smaller and once they are cached they show up instantly when changing pages.  The only real difference I can see is that my USB drive is connected directly to the SMP while yours is networked.  Have you tried connecting the USB drive directly to the SMP just as a test?  If connected directly to the SMP eliminates the delay then you’ll know the delay is from the time it takes the thumbnail cache files to be requested from the SMP then collected by the server and then sent back to the SMP.  The files are small and you’re using a wired connection so you wouldn’t think it would cause a delay, but every step takes time and the more steps and distance the more the delay.  Just a guess b/c I’m in no way a network expert, but it seems logical.

thanks a lot for your suggestions… 

a.t.m. there’s no difference if the pictures have already cached/loaded before, as soon as I change the page they are loaded/requested again.

Don’t know if it’s actually theme-related at all, but as far as i can tell/remember it was a bit faster when using stock theme.

But all in all it’s not such a big let down… i’m still amazed with that theme… but instant pictures would be the “icing on the cake” :wink:

will carry out some tests once i get home from work and try to connect directly with usb

thanks a lot again.

Hi Mollybc,

I really like the look of your covers do you have a template for them that you can share with everyone.

thanks.

Hi again everybody & thanks for your feedback regarding my problem with slow-loading-

movie covers and also reloading when I returned to a previous page.

I´ve done some more tests now and this time I had my movies (demo folder) on a rather slow usb-stick.

And the results are amazing. As mollybc said: “When the SMP is first attached to the USB drive it does take several seconds for the SMP to cache the covers from the drive for each page, but after that it loads them all instantly with each page change”. It´s exactly like that for me now, VERY nice indeed!!

Strange though since I had a pretty fast NAS and a gigabit connection/router etc…something makes it wanna reload each page. Well there´s no chance I´m going back to that now when I´ve seen how fast it should be :slight_smile:

Gonna get me some BIG USB-drives now…

@sceeter

No problem with sharing.  All the credit for the covers goes to DeVicious as she did all the work and I just made some adjustments.  So you just need to download her Black Mamba Thumbgen templates (you can get them  HERE if you don’t have them).  I used the “Movie2 Thumb ResInfo” as my mainsheet in Thumgen and then simply modded the Template.xml file to add the sound format and resolution at the top of the cover image.  Here’s a link for the files Black Mamba Thumbgen Modded Files.  Just replace the original template.xml file under thumbgen templates for “Movie2 Thumb ResInfo” and replace the images in the “sound_format” folder under the common folder for the Black Mamba Thumbgen template.  I simply modded the original images in photoshop with a small black edge and a white fill so they would show up better.

I do know that Thumbgen will only use the correct cover (i.e. DVD or BluRay) if the movie file is inside a folder with either DVD or BluRay in the folder name.  So for me I have all my bluray movies in a folder called “Movies (BluRay)” and my dvds in a folder called “Movies (DVD)” on the computer I use for all my ripping, handbrake and Thumbgen.  I then transfer the files to the USB drive I attach to the SMP in a single folder b/c I like being able to browse thru the whole collection but still know what movies are BluRay and which are DVD.  Hope it helps :smiley:

Hi Mollybc,

Thanks so much this is great.

Thanks to everyone for sharing all there work and efforts its greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question, i’m using mollybc modded 18 resurface xml, i got the thumbs working and all looks good, the only issue im having is the date is not showing it just shows N/A, this is for all movies i generate.  I’m using thumbgen.  The date is setup as dd.MM.yyyy in thumbgen any help would be great.