After Update To 2.2.8, No CIFS Shares Accessable

yesterday I made a normal update via the broser, all runs normal, no errors, after reboot of the box

i saw all shares in \wdsharespace , a klick on any share produces the following error: access denied

in the logfiles of the sharespace i found the following
entry:

2010/06/01 00:14:46  geraldlun (192.168.0.1) couldn’t find service public

when I login via ftp, I see all the data

in my user.smb.conf i have the following entry:

[Public]
  path = /DataVolume/Public
  comment = Public Share (Full Access)
  writable = yes
  map read only = no

Any ideas, whats going wrong after the update?

Many thanks and best regards
Geri

Hi Geri,

I got exactly the same problem after updating my Sharespace. All drives are gone, except the media folder.

Which operating system do you use? 

Kind regards

flo

I have a Mac Pro at 10.6.3 and everything was fine until I went to 2.2.8. I can see all the shares but folder with subfolders I get acess violations when trying to drag to share. I can use the Mac finder to copy individual files or a directory with just files, but that’s it. WD Anywhere Backup no longer works, either. I couldn’t connect via AFP, but when I get home, I’m going to try and mount the shares with NFS. If that works then they have broken CIFS. I would love to go back to previous rev but they won’t let you. The system is built on Linux which I am familiar with, but I have not been able to track down the problem.

I can copy directories with subdirectories and files if I open a terminal window and do a unix “copy” (cp-r ). They’re turnaround on fixes has not been stellar. I submitted a fix for an probelm with Alterts on verizon.net last year including where the code was failing and it’s still not fixed in 2.2.8.

–dennis

Well, I have got it working with Apple’s Appleshare, so if you have a Mac or a PC with AppleShare protocol, do the mount with this protocol…

–dennis

I use  XP and XBOX Classics and NFS on linux (its working)

i solve the problem temporary (its not  a good way)

edit the file /etc/samba/smb.conf

near the end

server signing = auto

include = /usr/private/user_smb_conf/%U.smbconf
 include = /usr/private/user_smb_conf/%D.smbconf

change to

server signing = auto

include = /usr/private/user_smb_conf/geri.smbconf

include = /usr/private/user_smb_conf/%U.smbconf

include = /usr/private/user_smb_conf/%D.smbconf

and  then reboot the box

i think the problem is the %U is not correct resolved

geri = myusername

you can look in the folder

ls /usr/private/user_smb_conf/

and add all file names to the smb.conf

include = /usr/private/user_smb_conf/filname.smbconf

sorry for the broken English

The problem is with empty comments in the samba config files. You can either manually edit your smb config files or if you still want to use the gui to manage permissions etc then just make sure you add a comment to every share. 

I am sure Western Digital will fix this soon… perhaps… 

Sorry to seem dumb but how do I edit the samba file.

cbonnar wrote:

Sorry to seem dumb but how do I edit the samba file.

You probably shouldn’t if you don’t know how or what that is. Just make sure you have descriptions on all your shares which you can do via the web gui 

Advanced Mode →  Storage →  Folder Shares

any share that is not underlined doesn’t have a description, just click on the pencil on the right that will say ‘Modify’ when you click or hover on it and add a description for each share.

All my shares have a description, does not help.

Same error. I change descriptions, helped for personal folders, not public

Same error here. Updated the firmware and the folder shares permissions are broken. Removed from Domain and added back in an effort to recreate the permissions. No luck.

I’m sure the good folks at Western Digital are actively monitoring their own forum to assist their customers so a fix must be in the works!

Right?

This Firmware *update* is very broken. Adding the comments seemed to work for me, although today half of my shares died so perhaps that was just masking something. A restart fixed the problem, couldn’t see anything in the samba logs.

File transfer speeds have dropped off the planet, I am lucky to get 3MB/s, smbd is chewing between 60-99% CPU so I am guessing something with the version of smbd (3.0.34) is broken (I can only assume this is a different version than prior to the upgrade)… 

Not to mention the updated version 5 of twonky media server has a known bug that means it can’t read iTunes playlists…

All in all I wish I could go back to the old version… 

After the update, SMB won’t even start…

Starting SMB services: /usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libmsrpcgen.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
FAIL

I can’t find any mention of libmsrpcgen.so on google/yahoo search.  Plenty of references to libmsrpc.so which already exists.  Did they actually link SMB to a test library of some sort.

Anyone else seeing something similar?

pabloa3 wrote:

After the update, SMB won’t even start…

Starting SMB services: /usr/sbin/smbd: error while loading shared libraries: libmsrpcgen.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
FAIL

I can’t find any mention of libmsrpcgen.so on google/yahoo search.  Plenty of references to libmsrpc.so which already exists.  Did they actually link SMB to a test library of some sort.

Anyone else seeing something similar?

No idea what ibmsrpcgen.so is although you can assume it is a custom library to provide some sort of msrpc hack. 

Do you have libmsrpcgen.so ? I have it in /usr/lib which also has the normal libmsrpc.so

Nope, that file did not exist in /usr/lib.  I do have the libmsrpc.so.  Ultimately, using ipkg (see http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/sharespace) I installed a samba pkg with a pre-made binary and now I’m back in business (at least until the next firmware update).

pabloa3 wrote:

Nope, that file did not exist in /usr/lib.  I do have the libmsrpc.so.  Ultimately, using ipkg (see http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/sharespace) I installed a samba pkg with a pre-made binary and now I’m back in business (at least until the next firmware update).

! I wrote the original version of that page years ago now. I also gave up on the new samba package, there seemed to be more than one problem with it, I was leaning towards a ram issue as it uses ramdisk for the browse.dat and lock files but the binary is statically linked to /mnt/ram which is stupid so I gave up. 

I am running 3.5.3 now and it has a massive speed increase over what I was getting with the broken package on the new firmware (note I mean back to normal read/write speeds ie not anything special)… 

Hopefully while WD are fixing it they will also include a version of twonky that fixes the iTunes playlist bug (ie any of the latest builds) and I could also dream of getting kernel support for raid resizing… 

To Pabloa3,

I am facing the same problem … Can you tell us exactly which package you have used and how you have installed it.

THANKS

Cheers

Hi,

First, make sure you either have enough space in the root area or symlink /opt onto your /DataVolume (or another appropriate volume with a fair bit of space)

From http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/sharespace, I followed the following taken from this html page to get ipkg installed:

wget http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs05q3armel/cross/unstable/ipkg-opt_0.99.163-10_arm.ipktar -xOvzf ipkg-opt_*_arm.ipk ./data.tar.gz | tar -C / -xzvf -mkdir -p /opt/etc/ipkgecho "src armel http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs05q3armel/cross/unstable" > /opt/etc/ipkg/armel-feed.conf/opt/bin/ipkg update

After that I did

/opt/bin/ipkg install samba2

(if you do ‘/opt/bin/ipkg list | grep samba’ you’ll see the availabie options).  This installs 2.2.12-2 of samba → it also installs several dependencies.  The dependencies it pulled in for me are cyrus-sasl-libs, gdbm, libdb, ncurses, openldap-libs, openssl, popt, readline.  I’m not sure which of these are required for file sharing vs printer sharing.  I did not try installing without dependencies but ipkg does allow for this.

You should end up with your binaries in /opt/sbin - this will have nmbd and smbd.  You’ll basically end up with samba install in /opt that mimics what you find off of /.  for example, you’ll have /opt/etc/samba (similar to /etc/samba).

FYI, all of this took up 31.6 mb…but I believe it takes up more during the install since the pkg files exist as well…so you need to account for at least double this during the install.

Next I updated /etc/init.d/S90smbd - basically changing occurrences of /usr/sbin/smbd (or nmbd) to /opt/sbin/smbd (or nmbd).  I also made a backup copy to s90smbd if I want to change back.

Next I copied /etc/samba/smb.conf to /opt/etc/samba/smb.conf (I would make a back up of the original first).  I also touched /opt/etc/samba/smbpassword.

Next run /opt/bin/smbpasswd and add accounts for admin and your other smb users so you can connect.  check out smbpasswd --help on how to do this.

Then start it up (/etc/init.d/S90smbd start).  FYI, there were errors with reading some of the config parameters…I haven’t dug into those as this worked.

This is obviously very kludgy and not advisable unless you are comfortable mucking with this stuff (and potentially losing your stuff if something doesn’t work right).  I’m accepting this risk hoping WD comes out with an updated firmware or at least more appropriate work around steps.

Hope this helps

Paul

Cheers Paul, I’ll give it a try.

Hi,

just wanted to share with you one news.

Of course the solution given by Paul worked great.

But before switching my samba server, i looked into the configuration files, and i have managed to gain access to the shared directories by modfying /usr/private/user_smb_conf/.smbconf

Actually I have noticed that this file had only one of my three shared directories … The only one accessible :wink:

So I have added the two others and guess what … I gained access again, I am under WinXP SP3.

I hope this help.

But I am still thinking of moving towards Samba version 3.5 (actual version is samba 3.0.34 after firmware 2.2.8 update)… But need to finish backing up my 2.3T of data :wink:

Cheers

Abdo