Acronis True Image WD refuse to clone a 500GB HD to my new Scorpio Blue 1000GB

I have a toshiba notebook with original 500GB HD full.

I have bought a WD 10JPVT scorpio blue to have more space, and want to clone the old small HD to the new WD one.

I downloaded Acronis True Image WD edition, with file tih_s_f_1492.exe, being the last version available on wdc.com.

I connect the wd 1000GB scorpio blue to an usb adaptor to my laptop, and run acronis. It can see the new disk, no problem.

But when launching the cloning in automatic mode, it refuses after a while, saying that there is a problem.

When launching it in manual mode, i select the small old disk as source, then acronis shows me the new disk as target, but in grey as i cannot select any disk.

I then downloaded Acronis Migrate 7.0 that is available for 15 days testing, and it also refuses to make the cloning, in either automatic or manual mode, telling me that the new drive has not enough space :slight_smile:

But the most annoying is that i made a request to WD support last monday, and that after 2 days i still have no answer on that, not even for telling me that somebody as red about my problem and will answer soon…

I need to work, so what can i do to solve this problem ?

I had a similar problem yesterday. I have a Toshiba laptop that is about four years old, running XP. I tried to clone a WD 500 advanced format drive using the Acronis TI WD edition software. I have used Acronis TI for years, so I am familiar with it. Once everything was ready to go and I clicked on “Proceed,” it went back to the main screen instead of asking to “reboot” in order to start the cloning process. After several failed attempts, I uninstalled the WD edition, reinstalled my copy of TI 11 and used it to clone the drive. I then ran the Advanced Format  alignment software to “fix” the partition alignment. The entire process took all day. The drive is installed and works fine, but I wish that the Acronis TI WD edition would have worked the way that it is supposed to as it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.

Thank you for idea of TI 11, but i do not have it. After acronis TI WD and acronis Migrate Easy 7.0, i tride TI 2013, but the cloning function is not available in trial version.

A WD person has contacted me, thanks to him. I have sent him some screenshots, and i wait for any solution on that : migrating to new HD is not easy !

After now more than 1 week, no result on the problem.

The suggestions i have had from WD are not very helpfull until now.

On my side, i have tried the Paragon Drive Copy 12 professional Demo : it cannot make the cloning more than acronis, but at least it gives a clear reason :

“Since a different sector size on the source hard disk, the selected hard disk cannot be used as the copy target”

Whch is quite funny because the Toshiba  500GB hard drive source and WD 1000GB hard drive destination are both 4k sectors AF disks.

Anybody here with some ideas on the cause and solution ?

I can now tell you that i have been VERY disapointed by WD support.

The only help they gave me was to lost my time in operations that they knew to be useless. They sent me by email the following advices :

• “the cloning is not functionning because the new disk is unallocated, you should format it before cloning” : have you ever made some cloning before ?

• “the cloning is not functionning because your old disk has a problem, please test partitions with windows partition testing tool” : all is perfect in a brand new laptop ;

• “sorry i cannot reproduce your problem in my lab, so i cannot do anything more for you” : if a problem is not known in the lab, it does not exist !

Hopefully, some real professionals exists, and they are with Paragon. Their answer was quite simple and fast : the 500GB Toshiba disk has a 512 sector emulation, because if not windows 7 cannot even boot !

But the new drive WD scorpio blue 1000G has no 512 emulation, it is 4k sector native, so i cannot boot windows 7 on it and they cannot neither make a copy on it from 512 sector disk.

I have been deceived by WD in buying this WD scorpio blue 1000G disk, as they never told that it was a 4k sector native disk and that it is not compatible with all existing windows already on the market.

It may be that i am not alone in this trap !