A Fix: The Orange Circle of Death?

Did anyone ever come up with a fix for the stall of playback and the Orange Circle spinning until a power unplug reboot?

I bought a new router recently and hoped this might fix the issue. Nope. removed all the MVK files; Nope. Reset from the menu; Nope. Turned off UPnP’ Nope. Removed Screensavers; Nope.

Anyone got a fix - or this simply an inherent design fault that is permanent.

Remove all external HDD. Put the last firmware on USB stick. Plug it in and turn on the power.

To me it sounds like bad update.

I’ve removed every file and reformatted the drive.

It got so bad that I couldn’t play a radio station on Tunein and then change to another station or view a photo.

So - it’s clean and I wait now to see if it’s stable and if I can use it without stalling, using it only as a streaming device.

With no files loaded - just the device, reset and reformatted - it reverts after 10 minutes to the Orange Circle of Death when playing Tunein stations. It won’t load another station.

I am surprised WD haven’t come forward to confirm they are aware of the issue and here is the fix - it has been documented here for years.

maxcat wrote:

I am surprised WD haven’t come forward to confirm they are aware of the issue and here is the fix - it has been documented here for years.

A number of bugs and glitches that have been reported over the years and were never fixed.

The reality is … the WDTV Live Hub is a now a “Legacy” product  …

A _ legacy product _ is one that is no longer under active development but has yet to be fully retired.

Legacy products are no longer available for purchase, and no software defects will be fixed (including new issues) with the exception of major security concerns and defects that result in data loss

Not to sound harsh, but you can complain about it as much as you like, but the chances of it getting fixed are Zero to None.

Not happy ? sell it, and move on.

I got no problem with TuneIn, and that’s my most used app. As long as you have orange circle, it’s fixable.

Well the orange crcile is there - all song/film/photo files have been removed.

I could live with it if it streamed Slingbox and Tunein.

But it won’t handle Tunein.

Followed instructions to do a roll back ad it won’t see the files on the USB drive.

I really want to save this - but it’s looking like it is time to give up.

I can’t sell it because I know it’s a dud.

What is the problem with rolling back? Did you tried both USB ports?

foetus wrote:
I got no problem with TuneIn, and that’s my most used app. As long as you have orange circle, it’s fixable.

It would probably help if everyone posted what Firmware Revision they are running ?

If you’re rolling back don’t forget you need to open the file wdtvlivehub.ver and edit the VERSION= line to a higher version then is currently installed on the HUB or it won’t update…

flhthemi wrote:

If you’re rolling back don’t forget you need to open the file wdtvlivehub.ver and edit the VERSION= line to a higher version then is currently installed on the HUB or it won’t update…

“Rollback Firmware” … the *.ver files have already been *edited* to a higher number (ie. 4.xx.xx)

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5860/~/how-to-roll-back-the-firmware-on-a-wd-tv-live-hub-media-center,-wd-tv-live

eg. Rollback Releases  … (i downloaded a couple to verify)

Firmware 3.11.10   = VERSION=‘4.11.10’

Firmware 3.10.09   = VERSION=‘4.10.09’

Yeah I know that, was just thinking he might have got just the update FW and not the Rollback FW…Still, good thinking!

I tried the rollback firmware without being able to load. I assume I am doing it correctly - but any advice here welcome.

More crucially, after doing a complete reformat, I did a basic test. I played Tunein radio for 30 minutes.

I then couldn’t stop the stream or open another station within the Tunein listing.

By chance I wondered how old is this unit, because this is a replacement sent to me after getting the same issue last year.

So - it’s still under warranty!

I am currently in discussion with the WD Support Team to find a solution. I’ll keep you updated here.

maxcat wrote:

I tried the rollback firmware without being able to load. I assume I am doing it correctly - but any advice here

____________________________________________________________________________________________

If you were doing it correctly then you would have successfully rolled back by now. :wink:

First Important Question:  please post the link to firmware you downloaded (to make sure you’re using the correct one)

Also, what Firmware are you running now ?

P.S. Reformatting the HDD will do diddly squat … it has nothing to do with “Online Services”  (in fact the Live Hub will still operate even if you remove the hdd)

1. small flashdrive (2,4,8 GB) formatted FAT32 … completely empty

2. download rollback firmware: eg.  http://download.wdc.com/wdtv/wdtvlivehub_rollback_3.11.10.zip

3. extract all 4 files onto the root of the flashdrive ie. No Folders

so you should only have these on the flashdrive

wdtvlivegen3.bi2

wdtvlivegen3.bin

wdtvlivegen3.fff

wdtvlivegen3.ver

4. Before inserting the flashdrive … check the detect New Firmware setting is “On”

Setup > System > Auto Detect New Firmware > On

5. Power off the WDTV (Press and hold Standby button for 5 seconds … switch off at the mains power)

6. " Safely Remove" the USB flashdrive from your PC and Insert the flashdrive into the front or rear usb input

7. Power On the WDTV

8. New Firmware should now be detected “New Firmware” notification will appear in the Home Menu. Press OK.

If you do not see the “New Firmware” notification … Start over at Step 1 using a different Flashdrive.

Use a different Brand / Capacity or Speed.

9. wait until finished

10. when finished (optional) disable the New Firmware notification

Setup > System > Auto Detect New Firmware > Off

11. It’s also recommended after a Firmware Rollback (or upgrade) to do a *Factory Reset*

Setup > System > Device Reset > Reset All Settings Back to Factory Default

1 Like

Thanks Joey. This time I got it - the Firmware ON setting was off. But it showed after I made the change.

OK - so I’m now 30 minutes in and I have been able to turn on and off stations on Tunein. That is first base stuff. But it is promising so far!

More after a full day - but it’s a good start…hope it continues!

Sorry guys - 20 minutes, stalled, Orange Circle in full mode. 

Unplug at wall socket to reboot, recover control and set for another go round.

So out of total frustration, I bought a brand new WD TV Personal Edition. (Miracast in Blue Box model).

Within 30 minutes - the exact same failure; Orange Circle after playing Tunein and loss of control. Total reboot required with power off/unplug.

I figured. It has to be my network. There is something causing the problem in my system - there’s nothing else it could be. So more time spent plugging and unplugging other devices to find the culprit because it just couldn’t be a brand new WD TV.

So after a few hours, I gave up and went to find if anyone else had the same thing on their brand new WD TV PersonalEdition

Look what I found:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Streaming/Issues-using-services-and-then-trying-to-play-a-video-file/td-p/811747

Now that you have the WD TV Personal Edition, there is something you can try which may solve the problem.

It did me after a short test.

What happened ?  Watching Youtube and letting it “auto play” … upon exiting the Youtube app terrible slowdown and a bit unresponsive.

So, i tried something (i’ll explain in a minute) … tried Youtube again for about 30mins on “auto play” … exited the Youtube app … and low and behold … No slowdown, and the unit was quite responsive.

What did i do ?

Created a 128MB Swap File (or Page File)  :smiley:

(it’s configured in the WDLXTV webend gui)

But you have to use WDLXTV firmware

http://forum.wdlxtv.com/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=8974

• Totally safe: I assisted KAD79 with it for several weeks in testing
  • Not permanent: runs off a Flash Drive, remove Flash Drive, reboot to run Official Firmware.
  • But, remember the “Swap File” is created on the Flash Drive, so you must leave it inserted.
  • Yes, it is possible to create a Larger Swap File eg. 256MB, 512MB … but it takes a very long time
  • eg. 128MB Swap File creation took roughly 1-2 Hours (maybe even longer)

So, in my quick testing the Swap File seemed to help … you’re welcome to try it, what have you got to lose ? :smiley:

P.S. If you have any questions, i’ll be happy to assit … but please post Questions on the WDLXTV site   (not here)

P.P.S. Development of WDLXTV for the WDTV Live Hub … is in progress (but, nothing yet … couple of hurdles to overcome)

Thanks Jamie, but I think I’m done.

The WD TV product is fatally flawed. I’ve now had 4 of them and each and everyone has exhibited the same fault - the Orange Circle of Death requiring unplugging to retart and control.

The final straw? The brand new Personal Edition model that I still can not play reliably out of the box.

I wish there was a level of integrity from WD TV to apublicly cknowledge to its customers the product is faulty and should be recalled for a permanent relaible fix.

I’m done.

So, you’re not even gonna attempt what i described above ?  Which could potentually solve the problem ?

Oh, well … no probs, i guess some people are not prepared to try everthing they possibly can before throwing in the towel…

By the way, my name is “Joey”  not  “Jamie”  :wink: