480i over Component?

I don’t think this a firmware issue.   I doubt the Sigma supports 480i at all.

“I doubt the Sigma supports 480i at all.”   What?  and who send the signal 480i to Composite?  And what mean menu items "480i 576i ,.,… 720i 720p… " in WD official firmware and specifications…?

Very first post in here:

ThePhoenixBird wrote:

I dont see the option for 480i in the Component Video Settings of the WDTV Live

The manual does say:

“Video output resolution includes 480i, 576i, 480p, 576p, 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p”

But what it doesn’t say is that the 480i _ is _ available at component or HDMI.  The first two are the composite output.

Nowhere in the manual does it ever say that 480i or 576i are available anywhere except composite.

And, as Tony’s pointed out several times, there’s nothing in any of Sigma’s brochures and documentation that indicates the chip is capable of outputting 480i and 576i over component or HDMI.  Sure, the chip can output composite and S-VHS signals, but that doesn’t mean Sigma is required to also offer 480i and 576i over component or HDMI.  The chip has separate ouput ports – it doesn’t have to offer 480i and 576i on HDMI and component just bcause it offers it on CVBS and S-VHS.

Ok. Listen to me please…

Like i wrote early Its possible to get 480i NTSC via Component by alternative firmware.

I dont know did the official firmware have telnet or ssh access, so use alternative firmware (b-rad) to prove capabilities.

WD is soft “power off”. Connect via telnet or ssh.

Ok we have to change /conf/config

lines

VIDEO_OUT='COMPONENT' 
VIDEO_OUT_RESOLUTION='480i60'

or send two commands like:

config_tool -c VIDEO_OUT="COMPONENT"
config_tool -c VIDEO_OUT_RESOLUTION='480i60'or config_tool -c VIDEO_OUT_RESOLUTION='480i50'

Its just adds modes that WD forgot to add in the menu.

Power ON button on remote and what we see (I see) - More quality picture via Component 480 i NTSC!

And not flickering as before. ( because old CRT TV dont support progressive 480 p  576 p or modes higher than 576i - but support more quality Component connection for 480i 576i)

I have a vivid imagination? Or WD and Sigma can support 480i via Component.

Do not tell me about the illegality of using alternative firmware.

Just tell me why do I have to prove things like that professionals should know.

Or better tell me what key to use for 576i PAL via Component - can not achieve a result in this mode (480i/NTSC i dont like - i from Europe - i want 576i/PAL).

Questions of course to WD support gays/girls not for community people :wink:  Peace

1 Like

Well then.  I stand corrected!   Interesting info!  :)

Thank you so much DJArty. I’m going to try your fix and look into a response for your question. Cheers!

Hi,
that’s awesome, if these are only two lines in the Firmware BIN to get the component outputs of WDTV live with 576i and 480i unlock, I wonder why WD is not providing a firmware update!
Unfortunately WD is indeed not answer the question why the component output only outputs up 1080p signals and the RCA (composite) video output provides only VHS quality.

Would be nice to use the higher quality component output (576i/480i) with WDTV-Live. For the users or old tube TV as long as they are ongoing. If there is a firmware (hack) are or someone brings in those two lines in the firmware or please give modest  a link (I’m not talented enough to unfortunately :smileyvery-happy:)

Thank you

Ok. 11/24/10 I have an answer from WD support

“We advise you to install the latest version of the firmware which should resolve the problem”

So, people can your check is 480i 576i presented in Component menu on 1.04.10 Firmware? 

Problem resolved?

Can not confirm. I have not see any option with “i” except high resolution (i cant recall exactly, maybe 1090i ?) So still only progressive mode for PAL and NTSC by default

So WD support try tricks on me :wink:  Be waiting.

I received this reply. There is no need to wait for a fix. Although it doesnt make complete sense.

Dear xavier,

Thank you for your reply.

Engineering has provided the following information: It supports 576p only, and 480i over component. This is a software development kit (SDK) limitation

(SDK) limitation  -  software limitations not hardware.

SDK from WD (or ALPHA Networks :smileyvery-happy: ) so must be changed.

At the same time I don’t see even 480i in component menu.

I think its a typing mistake and “480P” was meant.

Hi,
would have been nice if WD would have adjusted the past with the update that is all a bluff you? If only the WD team could even take a position whether we can use it to rake in future when it really just a software problem and only the whole 2 lines are in the SDK.:smileyvery-happy:

Greetings Anna

Works perfect in an old  Sony trinitron WEGA CRT with component 480i imput.

THANKS A LOT!  

Glad to hear :smiley:

Looks better then via composite? )

P.S.  Очуметь, нет слов, WD Support блещет умом и сообразительностью. Только что миссис Erick из саппорта ответила на мой запрос “Я правильно понимаю что ваша проблема уже решена?” …     Это после того как я своими руками хоть что-то сделал что б доказать им что это может и должно работать…  

DaniAlbe wrote:

Works perfect in an old  Sony trinitron WEGA CRT with component 480i imput.

THANKS A LOT!  

How did you make 480i/component work?

rievax just read previous page

1 Like

I tried installing the latest 1.4 firmware, still no 480i choice.  Also tried telnetting into box after installing b-rad based on 1.02.21.  Still no choice for for 480i.  Those commands:

config_tool -c VIDEO_OUT=“COMPONENT”

config_tool -c VIDEO_OUT_RESOLUTION=‘480i60’

or

config_tool -c VIDEO_OUT_RESOLUTION=‘480i50’

seemed to take and be accepted, but no new choices in component menu.  The box was turned off while I was putting in the commands.

First, this forum is not the place to discuss issues with THIRD-PARTY-FIRMWARE.

Second, you obviously are doing something wrong, because if you turned the box OFF, you CAN’T issue those commands because those commands are to be issued when you are SSH’d or TELNET’d into the box.

If you’re using third-party firmware, take the issue up with them.