2007 Ebook connected to Dell Laptop - Re-installed but now set-up page is blank

Can anyone offer help as to how to start using this external drive again on my dell?  It has old data from 2008 when purchased, but would like to now start using it again for back-up. When I open the WD installer, its all blank. But, I can see the WD ebook from my computer tray.

Hello,

Can you share the model number of your drive with us?

the MDL is WD5000H1CS-00

Thanks for any help as I’d like to start using this one again since its not full but it’s older.

I am in a similar situation. I have a MyBook Essential 1TB usb2.

The model is wdbaaf0010hbk-nesn or -01.

I would like to re-use this drive on a different comp, without overwriting the old data.

Will use for manual back-up, not auto. Probably.

Was originally used for auto.

Thanks for your help!

Richard-1234 wrote:

I am in a similar situation. I have a MyBook Essential 1TB usb2.

The model is wdbaaf0010hbk-nesn or -01.

I would like to re-use this drive on a different comp, without overwriting the old data.

Will use for manual back-up, not auto. Probably.

Was originally used for auto.

Thanks for your help!

What backup software were you using?  And when you say use the drive on another computer, from what OS to what OS are you referring to?

I was using the software that came with the drive for auto back-up. Anything that was saved on the system was also saved on the MyBook. That was a Windows Vista desktop system.

Now I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7. I am considering just moving files manually rather than using the auto feature.

I don’t want to over-write the old files on the MyBook until I see if I need to save any of them.

If you’re using SmartWare, then you should have a SmartWare folder on the drive that contains all your backed up data. You should be able to create a separate folder, outside the SmartWare folder, on the root of the drive and copy and paste all you documents, pictures and media into that folder.  Once you’re sure that you have all the files you want backed up into that folder, then you can get rid of the SmartWare folder and free up room on your drive. 

The fact that you’re going from Vista to Windows 7 shouldn’t make any difference since they both use similar file systems.

1 Like