YouTube Limitation

Why are some YouTube video restricted and cannot be played on the Live TV Hub?

It seems to be HD content.

The YouTube API for set top devices does not permit HD video. Also, any videos flagged as No Syndication by the uploader can not be streamed to TV enabled devices. These are limitations created by YouTube and the content providers, not WD.

How do i get around this. My friend has WD TV Live, and he flashed it with third party software.

Should I be doing the same? Don’t talk about voiding warranty please.

Where does the API reside?

I get around both problems by using the free ZappoTV App for the iPhone (though I use it on an iPad). It let’s you search YouTube for any video and ‘push’ it to the Live for playback. Also lets you stream Shoutcast radio. No need to void any warranties. :wink:

B-rad’s WDLXTV custom firmwares are apparently very impressive and worth a look if they offer features you need that WD won’t (or in this case, can’t) provide.

Whoops, forgot I was in the Hub forum.  Like Tinwarble says, B-Rad seems annoyed by WD booby-trapping the Hub’s firmware (3rd party mods will permanently disable your Netflix, Blockbuster, etc.).  There don’t seem to be any plans to release a custom firmware at this time.

djcalcutt wrote:

How do i get around this. My friend has WD TV Live, and he flashed it with third party software.

Should I be doing the same? Don’t talk about voiding warranty please.

There is no Custom firmware for the HUB as there is for Live & Live+ and as far as I know there is no plans by B-Rad to customize the HUB’s firmware.

PixelPower wrote:
I get around both problems by using the free ZappoTV App for the iPhone (though I use it on an iPad). It let’s you search YouTube for any video and ‘push’ it to the Live for playback.

Pixel - How does it “push” the stream. I tried this using vlc but I could not “push” anything.

kosh2 wrote:

PixelPower wrote:
I get around both problems by using the free ZappoTV App for the iPhone (though I use it on an iPad). It let’s you search YouTube for any video and ‘push’ it to the Live for playback.

Pixel - How does it “push” the stream. I tried this using vlc but I could not “push” anything.

I believe it’s using Play To, like Windows 7.  So as far as YouTube is concerned, it’s supplying a PC, not a mobile / set-top device.

due to this thread I discovered the “play to” feature in Win 7. but I am not able to control the volume when playing back content through the hub, any ideas why and how can this be solved? I am only able to mute, but the volume slider in the play to window has no effect on volume.