Youtube Leanback - Lean or Starved?

Updated my WD TV Live! to firmware 1.06.43 and now my tube Xperience: UNUSABLE

• The search results no longer use Google’s algorithm - In previous Youtube app, a query would show dozens of relevant results. Now the results only contain keywords, in other words the results are almost all random.

• Previously the app found video names in sequence i.e. “Ramen Noodle Recipe Number 1”,  “Ramen Noodle Recipe Number 2, 3, 4, etc.”. There is no longer any sequence which seems to make sense, and irrelevant videos follow i.e. “Inhaling a package of Ramen noodles up my nose” or “Spaghetti Westerns from Poland”.

• To make the experience worse, when a video is complete it no longer returns to a menu where you can select another video, but simply progresses to the next video: like it or not, your next selection is “Spaghetti Westerns from Poland”.

• The STOP button only pauses (exactly like the PAUSE button.

Conclusion: Either the WD Live development team or a Facebook Focus Group of 11-year-olds decided that the coolest feature would be to sit in front of the TV for 4 - 6 hours at a time randomly watching crappy videos  - the assumption is that most of the WD TV Live! users are not searching for anything in particular or have viewing habits based on viral videos of dogs singing or cats falling from trees.

Would somebody from WD explain this - and PLEASE, don’t try to convince us that is what customers asked for - unless the only customers you consider are the ones mentioned above.

I second that

I’m trying to fix this and get us the normal Youtube app back. Help here: http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/WD-TV-Live-Youtube-Petition/td-p/540335

In my previous posting I think that I echoed the opinions (or rants) of numerous WD TV owners - that YT Leanback should never have REPLACED the original YT app.

Youtube is not just about browsing through trending and viral videos - there are 1000’s of real channels and portals, including education or training videos, news and events, etc. We use several WD Live devices as audiovisual tools. I’ve installed dozens of the devices for clients not only for home entertainment, but digital signage, for presentations, conference rooms, classrooms and more.

The problem is made worse because we no longer can roll back the firmware to a previous version via USB device, even by editing the wdtvlive.ver file to display a newer version number. - it appears that version 1.06.43 only searches for web-based updates from WD’s ftp server.

I believe that the WD Live team are taking these complaints seriously, let’s hope we eventually get our YT back!

MrNoodle wrote:

The problem is made worse because we no longer can roll back the firmware to a previous version via USB device, even by editing the wdtvlive.ver file to display a newer version number. - it appears that version 1.06.43 only searches for web-based updates from WD’s ftp server.

I don’t believe that to be true.