Youtube doesn't recognize user using Google 2-step verification application-specific password

Hi everybody,

I have a WD TV Live in Europe with the last firmware to date (1.06.15_V). Not that long ago I started using Google’s 2-step verification system, it’s great for security. For non-browser applications, you have to create application-specific passwords -one for Thunderbird, one for your Android or iPhone, one for each application (or device). It works fine with all applications except for my WD TV Live. Each session I have to create a new application-specific password and it will work just for that session, but not anymore.

I guess it’s a cookie related issue. Somehow Google links that specific password to a device or an application, and if it thinks somebody else is trying to use that password, it denies access to the service. It happens sometimes with other applications after major updates, but with the WD TV Live it happens even without turning it off and on, you just need to exit Youtube and enter again, and it won’t work.

I hope the new firmware solves this inconvenience.

When you log in you have the option to save the user name and password, have you tried to select that option? 

Of course I’ve selected that option. The problem wouldn’t exist, otherwise. I guess you treat all complaints as coming from dummies? Is that why it takes half a year to fix the smallest bugs?

Although your answer was kind of outraging, it made me think and I found a solution. I deleted the account from WD TV Live and created it again, entering the application-specific password.

There can be two reasons for this problem:

1. When first creating the account in the WD TV Live, a cookie is created and stored in the device. When you switch to 2-step verification, Google doesn’t recognize that cookie for the new password -the 2-step verification system is very picky, and WD TV Live doesn’t update the account cookie.

2. When you change your Google or Youtube password, whether it be to another normal password or to an application-specific password, the WD TV Live warns you there is an error, and asks to reenter the username and password. I don’t know if the WD TV Live fails to store the newly introduced password, trying to use the initial password.

I am not going to investigate which one is the right answer. WD engineers should. If they don’t solve it, at least people might find this post and find the easy way around it -I didn’t find anything on Google.

Bye.

Good, my post made you think. :smiley:

erintiransom wrote:

Of course I’ve selected that option. The problem wouldn’t exist, otherwise. I guess you treat all complaints as coming from dummies? Is that why it takes half a year to fix the smallest bugs?

This is a user to user forum and answers come from other users not WD. We don’t know you so yes we have to treat you first off as a ‘dummy’.