Youtube clips not playable on TV

Hello,

I noticed that an increasingly number of youtube clips cannot be played on WDTV. Since Youtube is one of the major streaming sites and one of the reasons I bought this device, if the service becomes almost unusable, what WD can do about this? Is there a way to avoid detection as a TV player device?

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to say this or not - no intention of any forum rule breaches intended - mods, please delete if inappropriate.

For me, I just download the You Tube clips I want and store them on my network to watch at will.

This may not solve your problem if you’re just browsing, but if there are specific things on You Tube you want to watch at will, then this is the best way to go.  After all, even if it’s up there, who knows if/when it will be taken down.

I use You Tube HD Downloader most of them time.  When that isn’t working I use…sorry, can’t remember what it’s called, but it’s an add on to Google Chrome.  Download it and open up Chrome, then go to You Tube, and there’s a ‘Download’ button at the bottom of every video.

You should be able to find both of these with a quick search.

Hope that helps.

Steve W

Or you should be able to Fling them to the player.

It’s the uploader of the youtube video who is the one enabling the block on TV enabled devices. Youtube added the option at the request of TV and film companies, what purpose it serves I don’t know, but that annoying feature is being used by non-commercial users. You can as ‘Pecker’ suggested download a blocked clip. You could email the uploader and ask why they’ve chosen to block the video from TV enabled devices, or another way is to use the youtube leanback service, (WD TV has both youtube videos and youtube leanback in the services menu), if you use the youtube leanback service you can sometimes bypass both device and region blocked videos. I often use the youtube leanback service to watch youtube movies that have been region locked.

ernieflapps wrote:
It’s the uploader of the youtube video who is the one enabling the block on TV enabled devices. Youtube added the option at the request of TV and film companies, what purpose it serves I don’t know, but that annoying feature is being used by non-commercial users. You can as ‘Pecker’ suggested download a blocked clip. You could email the uploader and ask why they’ve chosen to block the video from TV enabled devices, or another way is to use the youtube leanback service, (WD TV has both youtube videos and youtube leanback in the services menu), if you use the youtube leanback service you can sometimes bypass both device and region blocked videos. I often use the youtube leanback service to watch youtube movies that have been region locked.

It can also be youtube who do this to your video. I have a video with a copyrighted soundtrack, rather than taking it down they have chosen to let it stay up and stop it from playing on certain devices.

Hey, I can’t get either of the youtube apps to work at all, either the freeze the player forcing me to unplug the power, or it just exits back to the main WD menu when I try to do a search.