Youtube account Google API

Thats an interesting statement from Syabas concerning youtube on the Popcorn Hour:

… To be clear, Google has changed YouTube’s terms of service to exclude Set Top Boxes and other devices, and, as a result, Syabas has been asked to remove the content from their platform…they(Google) are asking all over-the-top device makers that are currently connecting to YouTube content through its APIs to take down the service…

Read the full text here

That might explain why there are problems with older youtube accounts.

Either Western Digital is one of those strategic partners, and the problem is on the google side,

or they are not, and are in the middle of getting kicked out, or in negotiation with google.

I think the first case would be better for people wanting to use the youtube feature of the wd tv live.

In both cases i wouldnt expect a very quick fix.

Looks like there is a lot of money behind this.

[edited to fix spelling error in thread title]

We do apologize for any inconvenience that this issue maybe causing.  This issue is due to an account bug on YouTube/Google’s servers.  Please see the link below to our knowledge base article #3896

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3896

Problem:
Some users are unable to log into their YouTube accounts on the WD TV Live.

Cause:
Google has recently decided to phase out seperate Youtube accounts on their servers. As a result of this, logging into Youtube through the WDTV Live may not work.

Solution:
Please view the following Google Help Page for assistance resolving this issue. As this issue is due to a change with Google’s account servers, Western Digital is unable to provide any technical assistance with logging into your account. Please contact Google ( Youtube ) for assistance.

1 Like

Hi James,

thanks for your response.

I guess that was just a too dangerous rumor to let it stand uncommented.

However, i and i think lots of other people in this forum, really appreciate any helpful responses or statements from Western Digital.

Two thumbs up :smileyvery-happy:

P.S… I mistyped YouTube in the topic :angry:, maybe you could correct that so others can find the solution you offered more easily, thanks.

Hi all,

ok nice to see that it is not the WD TV rather than Google.

Nevertheless my box is resetting it self when it can’t connect ! Isn’t that a bit drastic for not beeing able to login?

There are quite some areas where the software could be improved !

Like entering text with the remote is a nightmare!!!

Look at phones how they do it !! Would make it much better and easier to use.

Ok, I better don’t get started here.

I still like the box and enjoy watching my movies now easily from my NAS.

Cheers

BigBrotha

Yeah entering text is a nightmare.  I have an iPhone app called Pocket Blu and it is a remote for certain Blu-Ray movies and it has a keyboard feature.

WD could develop an iPhone app for the WDTV Live that would be a remote control but also have the keyboard functionality.  Searching through YouTube would be so much easier!

yeah. with my unit, its not the logging in thats a problem. It actually logs in and when it starts to load the content, when the dials starts spinning, it will just reset. Is this what you mean its on Googles side? Cause from what I see, it does log in.

I have the same problem has aherfner33. The unit seems to login but it reset when trying to display the content of my account. 

Also, the Google Help page refered in the Knowledge base is no help for me. I can login on youtube with my Google Account using any browser. It’s only with the WDTV that I have a problem.

THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It may not be the best solution or the solution you like but it is a solution if you want to log into Youtube. I changed my logon and I have absolutely no problems with Youtube.

James_K wrote:

We do apologize for any inconvenience that this issue maybe causing.  This issue is due to an account bug on YouTube/Google’s servers.  Please see the link below to our knowledge base article #3896

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3896

Problem:
Some users are unable to log into their YouTube accounts on the WD TV Live.

Cause:
Google has recently decided to phase out seperate Youtube accounts on their servers. As a result of this, logging into Youtube through the WDTV Live may not work.

Solution:
Please view the following Google Help Page for assistance resolving this issue. As this issue is due to a change with Google’s account servers, Western Digital is unable to provide any technical assistance with logging into your account. Please contact Google ( Youtube ) for assistance.

WOW IT WORKS! THANK YOU JAMES!

@ardvark–what worked? please post the link that leads directly to the solution/workaround.

If I find it before this has been answered I’ll post it myself.

Thanks,

Joby

The knowledge base say that the problem is logging in with the Youtube account because Google is phasing out these account… Well, I always logged on youtube with my Google Account. That’s what to say we have to do and it doesn’t work…

I had a Youtube account and it was linked to my google account by I always use my Google Account. So the solution doesn’t help me at all.

What do I have to do to log into Youtube with my Google Account using the WDTV without having it reboot every time?

I simply created a new account not linked to anything as instructed by the Google help page referenced by James_K. Once this was done, the hang ups etc. went away. It was a bit of a pain to reset all of my favorites etc., but well worth it.

There is a way to unlink youtube from google.

http://www.youtube.com/account#manage/unlink

I tried this, but it didn’t work out for me. Maybe someone else?

jobywan wrote:

There is a way to unlink youtube from google.

http://www.youtube.com/account#manage/unlink

I tried this, but it didn’t work out for me. Maybe someone else?

Have you tried creating an entirely different account?

yes. I went to yahoo, set up a mail account. Cleared cookies/privacy. Restarted browser, went to youtube to create a new account.  I get the impression that we can no longer use yourtube account without a google account.

So the solution is to go hunt a new email, create a new account, manually re-create all the playlists and favorites.

Wow! That’s not what I call a solution…

If I can logging correctly with any computer or browser, why is it Google’s fault?? It’s only on the WDTV that I can’t login…

I don’t want to be in my browser browsing youtube, watching a video that I want to add to my favorite, but have to logout, login with the “WDTV account” to do so and then return to the account I use everyday with all my Googles Apps…

Does anybody know a way to have the WDTV work correctly has advertised?

again, it IS google’s fault. The API is an entirely different app than a web browser. The box talks to youtube interfacing through the API–> go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/API to understand how API’s work and you’ll see where the dog is buried on this subject.

Has anyone else tried to unlink the youtube account with succesful wdtv login? I’m still hoping I missed something.

Greetz,

Joby

i don’t get it.

what’s the solution?

there is no solution

It’s Google’s fault the API changed.

It’s WD’s fault that the API change reboots the WD TV Live.

The workaround is to use a different email account to create a new YouTube account.  However, I’ve seen some users state that adding favourites / content to their new account again breaks support and the rebooting begins anew.  Can anyone confirm this?

The solution is for WD to update the firmware to handle the API changes.  They’re not blameless in this and if they advertise YouTube support as a feature, they need to properly implement it.  

It’s like having a TV that turns itself off if a channel isn’t available, or a car that stops if you slip it into the wrong gear; they need to handle unexpected inputs and errors better.