Your speed? WD BLACK SN750

To friends who own the WD SN750.

How is your product in terms of reading and writing speed?

Can anyone have an average of 3,000 mb / s?

I can only reach half of that and have tried everything. Looking at UserBenchmarks 1700mb / s it seems to be the average "

Is that correct?

Nice, but does your motherboard support full speed of PCIE 3.0 x4 nvme drives?

Yes, i have support for M.2 PCIe x4 on the motherboard (TUF H310M-PLUS).

Wow, looks good to me … the motherboard, not the performance of the SSD.

I’m getting a sequential reading speed of 3524 MB/s and a write speed of 3225 MB/s with a Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1 TB SSD on a very simple Dell Optiplex 7070 SFF computer with a i7-9700 Intel CPU and 32 GB RAM-memory.

No, it’s not a WD SSD, but that is just a personal choice after many small problems in the past with WD SSD drives.
Samsung … better performance, better software, less troubles.

With your question, I got a coffee and researched the subject on this beautiful sunny Sunday morning.

I found that my motherboard has the following specification “PCIE 2.0 x4 & SATA)”.

I think I may have a problem here.

Yep … I was not looking good to the specifications.

1 x M.2 Socket 3, with M Key, type 2242/2260/2280 storage devices support(both PCIE 2.0 x4 & SATA mode)*1
4 x SATA 6Gb/s ports (gray),

1 Like

You found your bottleneck. The specs say:

With x4 PCI Express® 2.0 bandwidth, M.2 supports up to 20Gbps data-transfer speeds.

At 1700mb / s you pretty much maxed out the the PCIE 2.0 x4 lanes. (I suppose the missing 300mb / s are used by data framing overhead* (headers etc.).)
You might as well have bought yourself a lower spec’ed NVMe SSD. Ah well, might you ever upgrade to a new MB then your SSD is up to it.

In the specs I do see a:

1 x PCIe 3.0/2.0 x16 (x16 mode)

If it’s not in use (by a discrete video card), you might add a 4 lanes M.2 to PCIe converter card to put your NVMe drive in order to enjoy its full speed.

(This one works good and costs little.)

* To determine the actual amount of data that can be transferred, the encoding technique must be understood. PCIe Gen 3.0 and PCIe Gen 4.0 use a 128b/130b encoding technique. Older generations such as PCIe Gen 2.0 use 8b/10b encoding. This encoding technique (PCie 4.0) transforms 128-bit data into 130-bit line code. This allows for reasonable clock recovery (which is the process of extracting timing information from a data stream) and ensures alignment of the datastream. Source

For PCIe 2.0:
5GT/s * (8b/10b) = 4.000Gbps
4.000 Gbps / 8 b/Byte = 500 GB/s (per lane)
Overhead: ([10b-8b]/10b)*100 = 20%

1 Like

Hi, Marty.

Exactly.
I took it out of my computer and put it on my Dell I5, which has PCIe 3.0.

Using Crystal the SSD reached the reading speed of 3500mb without any problem.

I was unlucky enough to buy the only motherboard (TUF H310M-PLUS) which is PCIe 2.0 haha. It is a recent card, but they are rare on the market, costing the same price as other 3.0.

I believe that this problem that I had will be increasingly rare.

Thanks to all friends for the topic.

Just found this thread when doing a search for UserBenchmark. Like you @Hermman, I am getting top performance on Crystal benchmark and around 1800 on UserBenchmark. :confused:
How can there be that much difference? Which one is right? :person_shrugging:t2: