You have got to be kidding me!? 24 FPS & 23.976 FPS

Recently sold an original wdtv because it paused every 40seconds (ish) when playing back 23.976 FPS content. It was a common problem and because WD had given up supporting this device it was never resolved. 24 FPS content would play flawlessly. Biting the bullet I purchased the wdtv 3rd gen and was pleased to see that 23.976 FPS content played without pauses (hooray) but now to my complete dismay I find that 24 FPS content now drops a frame every 40 seconds(ish). Surely this can not be so?? Surely WD have had so much flack about this problem in the past that will not let this happen again? I am very disappointed and would say to others at this point that if you are looking for a complete media player solution then start looking elsewhere!! If you are about to tell me that this does not happen to you then it is likely that you are playing back 24p content at 60Hz where the problem will not notice but but you will suffer telecine judder instead. Come on WD surely this is the most basic concept of video playback: FRAME RATE, and after three generations it should definitely not be a problem. Signed: P’d off and disappointed. Only hope this is fixed before WD decide to stop supporting this generation.

Same problem here:

stutter with 24,0 fps files…

Every 30-40 seconds there are some hiccups - a few moments of stuttering.

At least I don’t have that many 24,0 fps files, but it’s a bit annoying.

Another satisfied customer!

/I know this is spam but this makes my day. At least I can laugh on the WD for free/

user08152 wrote:

Same problem here:

stutter with 24,0 fps files…

Every 30-40 seconds there are some hiccups - a few moments of stuttering.

At least I don’t have that many 24,0 fps files, but it’s a bit annoying.

Not at all related.

What the OP is talking about is 1 SINGLE FRAME exactly every 41.66 seconds;  not a few moments of “Stuttering,” and not in some range of 30-40 seconds.

A mismatch of 23.976fps vs 24.000 fps is 1 duplicated or dropped frame precisely 41.66 seconds apart, depending on which direction we’re talking about.

And while the mismatch issue does exist, I find it humerous that some people find it so rancidly unacceptable. especially those that have no objection to 2:3 pulldown that’s present when watching every single NTSC DVD in the world.  :smileyvery-happy:

well …maybe I didn’t notice the one frame missing because “my stuttering” easily beats this :wink:

so many kinds of stuttering…makes me wonder if SMP stands for “stuttering media player” …