You can not be serious WD

I haven’t ever used an External WD product before but have always used internal storage solutions from WD in both my personal and professional life.

I purchased today a Western Digital Essentials 2TB external hard-drive for the backup ability.

I understood there would be software preinstalled on the drive and I had planned to make use of that software.  However after installing Western Digitals Smartware software I was disgusted how I can’t select files or directories for a regular backup like I could with my 5 year old (recently dead) Seagate Passport.  Instead it has a “intelligent” search feature for movies, pictures, music, documents and “Other”.

Other doesnt even mention, or have a description.  Outside of a list of file types it searchs for according to the online user manual.

What kind of “backup” solution doesn’t allow me to possibly select a program-files application that might be doing incremental backups?   Perhaps I have a database program and its saving inside the application folder to a “Backup” folder.

I already did my backup and im not seeing anything business relvant just some of the above mentioned items.  The “intelligent” software makes the drive completely useless as it sits, without the ability of myself being able to select the files and directories I want to backup im trusting the Smartware software to backup everything I want, except its missing a great deal of it and at present im unable to resolve this situation.

My current plan of action is to wipe the drive in linux and do my best to destroy the VCD partition and then use the Seagate software as it had the ability to…oh, I dont know, back up whatever the **** I wanted it too.

I see this forum full of complaints, maybe Western Digital should try listening to its user base, or at least give us some god-**bleep** adanced functionality.

Thanks

A loyal Western-Digital customer of 15 years.

Hi dude, the software that comes with the drive is a basic file backup software for the average user in case you don’t have your own backup software (You can call it  a courtesy software if you may), so you can’t expect much out of it… It’s just basic use…

And it makes it clear on the user manual that it’s not going to backup the system or programs, so is like WD is expecting you to use it only if you have nothing else… 

It has been discussed several times… Anyway, welcome to the community.

Hi “ThePizzaMatrix”,

What you say makes no sense, the product is advertised as a backup solution, although its backup capability im calling into question.  I shouldnt have to spend or download any additional software (third party) to make this product work, Western Digital is a large corporation I would expect a decent solution. 

Id like to understand how rival companies release products that are 5 years older that have full functionality while this doesnt even support the level of functionality that the Windows Backup utility does.   Also im not asking the program to backup any “system or programs” im asking it to backup databases located in program-files that it isn’t locating and I have no ability to manually select.

This machine currently has 1.64 terabytes of storage in a raid configuration, the client doesnt warrent tape backups or offsite storage, a simple external backup solution fits the bill but unfortunately this product doesnt include the software so even complete its basic purpose of a backup solution.

To be more to the point, this system currently is using roughly 54 gigabytes of the 1.64 terabytes, this will go up as the system ages and certain databases grow.  Unfortunately the Smartware program is only backing up “151 megabytes” thats correct 151 megabytes.  

This is not a backup solution out of the box.

Actually correction, below is a screenshot of the backup amount, I “OVER” estimated.

It’s basicaly backup software for people who barely know how to use a computer.

Joe

Hi again, WD likes to think of the drive itself as the backup solution, not the software, which is a secondary feature that can be ignored from the start since the drive itself doesn’t need it to work (Copy & paste, FULL manual backups), even the user manual on page 45 (50 if you seek the whole PDF) mentions backing up your files with Time Machine if you own a Mac.

Most computers come with their own backup tool, Windows 7 Ultimate (My OS) has a very powerful tool integrated into it, so an additional software is not needed. Even Windows XP has a backup tool if you check the properties of the C drive, plus, a free tool (Smartware) will never compete with a professional tool (Such as Norton Ghost or Acronis), which are tools that the average user would not even know to handle…

Joe_S wrote:

It’s basicaly backup software for people who barely know how to use a computer.

Joe

You pretty much said it all!

While I understand the benefits of using a backup tool (third party) the client shouldnt have to use, or have to handle a third party tool.

The operating system in use is Windows 7 X64 Enterprise edition, my issue with this is that its even marketed as a backup solution.  I can achieve better results with a hard-drive sitting on a box plugged directly into the machine and using a third party tool.

I bought the Western Digital drive for its reputation for quality, superior performance, and the ease of use of built in tools to accomplish the job.  I shouldn’t NEED norton ghost or Acronis and frankly wouldnt even be upset if I could CHOOSE which files to backup.

Competitors of Western Digital are doing this better, that is a problem.   Norton Ghost and Acronis cost additional $$$ I shouldn’t need to use\spend for this client to accomplish a job the software should EASILY be able to do.

There is really no viable excuse as to why this product out of the box is pulling over less then 100 megabytes of data on a drive where nearly 50 gigabytes are currently in use.

Again, WD reffers to the drive as the backup solution, not the software.

The WD Elements comes with NO software at all and it is also marketed as a backup solution as well by WD, and since When WD has been known for software? Retrospect was created by EMC (Now Roxio), and Anywhere Backup by Memeo…

My firts external was a Maxtor and it had a CD with Retrospect on it. It didn’t take long to uninstall it either. It was really buggy and most of the backups showed up errors!

Joe

Yep!!! It was common backup software a few years ago!

Engmus

The cost of third party backup software is pretty cheap $50, that isn’t much if your data is important . There is MS Sync Toy from MS for free if you are that cheap. Keep an eye on Give Away Of the Day and you can snag them for free. Around here the drives with Smartware are almost always cheaper that the ones with it!

Joe

Engmus wrote:

While I understand the benefits of using a backup tool (third party) the client shouldnt have to use, or have to handle a third party tool.

The operating system in use is Windows 7 X64 Enterprise edition, my issue with this is that its even marketed as a backup solution.  I can achieve better results with a hard-drive sitting on a box plugged directly into the machine and using a third party tool.

I bought the Western Digital drive for its reputation for quality, superior performance, and the ease of use of built in tools to accomplish the job.  I shouldn’t NEED norton ghost or Acronis and frankly wouldnt even be upset if I could CHOOSE which files to backup.

Competitors of Western Digital are doing this better, that is a problem.   Norton Ghost and Acronis cost additional $$$ I shouldn’t need to use\spend for this client to accomplish a job the software should EASILY be able to do.

There is really no viable excuse as to why this product out of the box is pulling over less then 100 megabytes of data on a drive where nearly 50 gigabytes are currently in use.

Did you ever try contacting WD over why it was doing that?  The software, as yet, doesn’t backup folders only file types.  If you are putting your data in some “excluded” program folders then SmartWare won’t see it.  SmartWare is designed to ignore program folders.  You might want to look into the manual to see which program folders it will not read, and then reset where you save your data in order for SmartWare to be able to see it.  Just so you know, any “included” file type saved in the Documents folder will be seen.

Mate I couldn’t agree more. We just bought 5 of these drives and I’ve quickly learnt its a half arsed backup solution. Its a shame because it could be made quite useable with a few user friendly tweaks. Come on WD, just let us choose what to backup… problem solved! and you’ll have a lot of happy customers who are currently disappointed.

callum wrote:

Mate I couldn’t agree more. We just bought 5 of these drives and I’ve quickly learnt its a half arsed backup solution. Its a shame because it could be made quite useable with a few user friendly tweaks. Come on WD, just let us choose what to backup… problem solved! and you’ll have a lot of happy customers who are currently disappointed.

We’re constantly updating the software.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see some of those tweaks in the near future.

One other problem with the Smartware enabled drives is the Virtual CD system that can not truly be removed.  It is a waste of time to have the VCD running.

Buy an Elements or one of the new My Books with out Smartware no software needed just plug and play. It does **bleep** that they are rarely available at Best Buy, Walmart, etc or they cost more that the drives with Smartware.

Joe

smlunatick wrote:

One other problem with the Smartware enabled drives is the Virtual CD system that can not truly be removed.  It is a waste of time to have the VCD running.

Actually, it does nothing until you call up a service located on the VCD, like the drive encryption, or the disk utility.  It’s just emulated so that you know that it’s there.