Yet another question - where are my UK TV channels?

Hi all (again)

No sonner have I posted one question I am bursting to ask yet another one.

When I bought my WD TV Live I was expecting to see a greater variety of internet services than what I am being presented with. I am in the UK and these days would expect to get BBC iPlayer, Channel 4OD, Demand Five, ITV Player etc. Well I mainly seem to have loads of what appear to be more American type of TV services and just about the only UK thing is BBC iPlayer. YouTube is there so all is not lost!

Am I missing something or is this how the UK is served by the WD TV Live device? I can get the ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5 etc on all my Android devices and it seems strange to be so restricted on the WD TV Live.

Hmmm. Must think of another question quick!!

If anyone can explain the meagre offerings I would be most grateful.

Thanks

TVGeek

Check the services listing here:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330#tab30

and select United Kingdom from the dropdown.

Here here…, 99% of the services are utter **bleep**.

If anyone knows of a way of removing them entirely from my SMP please let me know. :slight_smile:

Hi Tony

Thanks for the reply. I have followed that useful link and at least it confirms that I am not missing something that others may have!!

It appears that there isn’t ITV Player, Channel 4OD, Demand 5 etc. In my opinion it’s very disappointing for a device that is a media streamer.

Oh well, looks like I’ll have to stay watching the UK stuff on my Samsung tablet!!

Cheers

TVGeek

You have to bear in mind that the player is first and foremost a media player for your own files, most of these services have been added over time as an extra. Also WD are based in the USA so they get the most and we, the rest of the world, get a few.

If you want to ‘delete’ a service so that you don’t see it on the screen then set up a parental password and after that you can select which services you see.

Hi RichUK

Thanks for your comments. I totally agree with you that the WD TV Live is primarily for playing your own files. That is really why I bought it and also why I am not overly bothered that I can’t get some of the UK stuff I would expect. Also, I have a Smart TV, Smart Blu-ray, PS3, Smartphone, tablets etc - which all deliver any online content I desire. Therefore the WD TV’s lack of basic UK TV services is not a huge concern. It just seems a pity, that’s all.

Also, I must confess that I really do like the user interface on the WD TV Live. I think it’s modern and clean looking, and very intuitive. This means that, if there were the normal ‘batch’ of UK-type online services, then I would eagerly use the WD TV Live as my main ‘smart’ player. Unfortunately I doubt whether I will even bother to do that because of the meagre UK-based online offerings from it.

Shame though - I do feel that the lack of ITV Player, 4OD, Demand 5 etc is a great pity and it should really be there for us UK dwellers. Makes me feel a bit like an ‘afterthought’ customer of the product. I didn’t bother to check the detail of the online services available when I purchased the WD TV Live as it wasn’t a high priority - and I would still have made the purchase even if I knew.

Overall I do like the WD TV Live - it’s neat, great interface and reasonably priced in my opinion. However I would have happily paid twice the price if the three or four things I have discovered could be fixed.

TVGeek

TV Geek, my understanding (and I may have misunderstood) is that some (all?) of the non-BBC catch up services use Flash Player, which isn’t installed on the WDTV.

That’s why almost all UK Smart TVs don’t offer all of them either.

I’ve almost certainly got some of my terminology wrong, but it’s something to do with something like that.

Steve W

Pecker wrote:

TV Geek, my understanding (and I may have misunderstood) is that some (all?) of the non-BBC catch up services use Flash Player, which isn’t installed on the WDTV.

I’ve almost certainly got some of my terminology wrong, but it’s something to do with something like that.

Steve W

Not sure about the flash thing.

On page 223 of the manual it says,

Adobe® This product features Adobe® Flash® technology. For further information, visit http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about 

Youtube is “Flash” as well is’nt it … and it works on my old Live & Hub

(The only instances of non “Flash” support i’ve read here is “Secret Experimental Web Browser” and bluray iso menus)

Pecker wrote:

Most late model “Smart TV’s” have the UK apps on them

eg. a “Samsung”  http://www.samsung.com/uk/tvapps/

Why arent they available on the SMP ?  probably comes down to licensing

BBC iPlayer uses Flash too.

Joey, I think Samsung are currently the only Smart TV platform that covers all 4 UK terrestrial TV catch up services.

Steve W