XBOX360 - How to stream to it

My Book Live Duo advertises itself as being capable of streaming to Xbox 360… How? I can’t get it to see the drive… But from my windows 7 laptop I can see the drive and map to it and play media from it…

I  only bought this drive because it advertised as having this capability…

Can anyone shed any light onto this. The last thing I want to do is buy some sort of media player, in addition to having the Xbox360.

99.9% of the time when a device can’t see the drive its due to a (router) firewall issue… especially considering  your PC can see it. The other 00.1% of the time its because of the settings on the NAS. Could you provide us details about how you have your NAS configured and about your router? Have you tried the basics like rebooting the router and all devices?

is the Media Server enabled and the specific share is checked?

the xbox 360 won’t see network shares alone, they need to be shared through the Media Server for it to be seen.

Ripcord83 wrote:

the xbox 360 won’t see network shares alone, they need to be shared through the Media Server for it to be seen.

I think media server is enabled by default on the Duo… it’s easy to check if it is in the UI of your device.

Ardvark wrote:

Ripcord83 wrote:

I think media server is enabled by default on the Duo… it’s easy to check if it is in the UI of your device.

it is, so is ‘Media Serving’ under each newly created share.

hopefully they can chime in and let us know some more info.

This was quite random. However, I rebooted the NAS, and when it came up, the XBOX still was not listed as a media receiver. Rescanned and still nothing

I dont think it;s a router issues, as I can ping across it and there are no internal firewalls on the home network.

However, when I created another folder, i.e. not the public defaults, and share it, i could see the media. It still appears to be intermittent. But I will keep an eye on it for a while.

I also didn’t know that XBOX doesn’t like .VOB… Ain’t that a kicker

Thanks for your suggestions

when you creat a new folder under ‘Shares’ it automatically adds under the share name ‘All’ right next to ‘Media Serving’

for the folders you want the Xbox to see is ‘All’ or ‘None’ listed?

also about the .vob files, since you’re going through the media server it may be a file limitation of it and not the Xbox.

for instance .iso would never bee seen by your Xbox as media servers don’t normally support it.

Don’t bother trouble shooting any more.  There is a known major bug with the DLNA server on the DUO.  Majority of devices do not work with it.  It has nothing to do with your Xbox, or any other media player.  DUO’s DLNA is not working with just about anything on the market, check multiple threads on this forum.

theos - please don’t troll… that is absolutly incorrect and I use mine flawlessly with plenty of devices.

Nobody is trolling.  Western Digital has aknowledged the issue months ago and are still working on a resolution.  The Xbox360 is on the extensive list of devices that are not working properly.

help yourself to this lengthy thread.  probably the longest thread on this forum.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live-Duo/WD-My-Book-Live-Duo-4TB-DLNA-issues/td-p/365559/page/4

Wow, there is a lot in the forums abnout this. I have to say that I am disappointed by this as I thought that WD products wouldn;t experience such issues.

But it looks like there is some light at the end of the tunnel. I’ve spent a lot of money on the NAS, as has everyone else, and it’s bad form that WD are selling devices with such a fundamental issue.

WRT XBOX360, I’ve just found out that there is some sort of Microsoft wizardry around formats that XBOX streams. I guess they want to place xbox at the centre of a Microsoft home where you’ve ripped all your media collections and share them via media library.

Thanks all :slight_smile: