Would 2TB Western Digital WD WD20EARX work on my 6 yrs old ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Mobo?

Would a 2TB Internal HDD (namely Western Digital WD WD20EARX) be detected & work properly by my 6 yrs old ASUS A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard?
** ASUS A8N-SLI Premium >> http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_Socket_939/A8NSLI_Premium/

I’m on Win7 32 Ultimate for the last 2-3 years & No HDD of any brand has given me any trouble in detection or in the working! The Maximum size i have used in my system is a 1.5TB Western Digital Internal WD15EARS Green HDD that works perfectly on my system.

I currently need to buy a 2TB disk Green WD20EARX HDD,but am bit confused on the purchase due to certain issues i have read on some tech forums about compatability of these newer HDD on older systems like mine.(I’m NOT absoluelly sure & also a 1.5tb wd15EARS hdd works perfectly in my system as i said b4,but … i’m still doubtful if a 2tb would similarly work fine)

So what do u guys advice me here ,would the 2tb drive as mentioned above fit into my system?,…i don’t want to regret the purchase coz of any incompatibilities arising post purchase!

/// My System specs :
       CPU is AMD Athlon 64 3500 @ 2200 MHz
       GPU is NVIDIA GeForce 6800 GS (256 MB)
       & RAM - 2GB (1+1)of system PC3200DDR400 Ram
       Mobo BIOS is ASUS A8N-SLI Premium ACPI BIOS Revision 1303 from 08/10/06
       & My PSU is Corsair VX550W,…which i think more than suffices for my old system ! ///

Plz Help me to make proper purchase decision  ASAP as i need to purchase the hdd urgently !

T.I.A !!! :slight_smile:

Hi well the Green drives are not really meant to be used as a boot drive to start with they use intellipower and dont have specs on the rpm of the drive they go from around 5200 rpm to 4500 and auto adjust the speed . Now you have a nforce controller which is sata 2 the new drives are sata 3 there are no jumpers to force it into sata 2 mode therefore your sata controller has to do that  and being old it may or may not auto negotiate it to sata 2 mode. As with older stuff sometimes we just have to try it and see.

1 Like

If a 1.5TB drive works in your system, then a 2TB capacity should also be OK. Some older drivers had a 1TiB limit, and others have a 2TiB limit. Clearly neither of these limits will affect you.

That said, the “X” is a 6Gbps model whereas the “S” is a 3Gbps. If you have detection issues, then try reducing the drive’s SATA interface speed via its OPT1 jumper.

1 Like