World edition white light - drive failing? how hard to replace drive?

I notice that after awhile my 1TB drive is not showing up on my network any more, and if I power it off/on it comes back up and I can access all the files again.  There are no errors that I can see, but this seems to be happening with more frequency.  I have copied all my files over to my new 2TB live edition, but I’d like to keep using this one.

Do you think the drive is failing? Is there a utility I can test it with?

If the disk is gone, I’d like to replace the drive, I am thinking I should stick with a WD green drive because of power consumption, cooling etc.  I know that the OS/firmware needs installing on the new drive and I heard this can be a bit tricky. Can I image the existing drive while it is still readable, and copy the image to the new drive using my USB drive reader?

If so, can I do this from a 1TB to a 2TB or 3TB drive? I figure if I am going to the trouble of replacing the drive I may as well stick a bigger one in there.

If I can’t do an image copy, what is the best way to do this?

thanks

Hello,

As a recommendation, can you please check if you have the latest firmware installed for your device? If not, try to update the firmware on your unit to see if that fix the issue that you are having at the moment.

Depending on the drive that you have, you can download the latest firmware from the link below.

http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?level1=4&lang=en

I am running 01.02.14 with MioNet - when I check for upgrades it says it is running the latest version.

Is there a diagnostic I can run on the disk to see if it is failing?